Sign in to follow this  
trane29

Newbie question

trane29    0

Hello, I am a newbie to the Centurion craze. Although I do not yet own one, I am sure I will this Spring. I currently have a Bayliner with the Alpha one outdrive. With it tilted up I do not have any problems with the approach angle on my driveway. I have been noticing the low clearance under the trailer of a Centurion. Has this caused problems for anybody? I am affraid that I may scrape the prop guard on the trailer. Any suggestions or comments will help.

Thanks,

David Thomas

Bristol, TN

Most 2010 Centurions with Boatmate trailers have prop guard rollers that solve that issue totally. And it was a option before 2010. Just make sure that your trailer has them and you will have no issues at all.

O'C    0

The prop is protected very well from the prop box. You will not hurt the trailer by diving slow in and out of driveways. Expect some scaping noise from time to time but definitely not an issue. Let her scrape!

Mike O'C

Seal Beach,Ca

Troy    234

Can anyone measure the clearance from the prop guard to the ground with the trailer level? I have a similar problem with my Boat shed being elevated and the concrete ramp being steep. I would have to back the trailer straight in and it would be very hard to push it, if it drags all the way up the ramp.

Thanks!

Hey David -

Glad to see you on here. I don't think you'll have an issue, between me and the other guys at our store, we have backed some boats into some very interesting places and have managed to do so successfully.

Just FYI.... I'll be glad to let you take a boat to your house and make sure it'll work. :drinks:

Joe B    17

if it's that close, you could buy an extreme drop hitch so the tongue is almost on the ground and prop up the back a few inches. Wouldn't take long to switch out the drop hitch and only costs what $30.

Or- upgrade to 18-20" wheels and that raises the trailer an inch (for me at least).

Kyle    0

Another option to consider would be to keep a couple of 2X6s handy when you park your trailer. just line them up with the wheels and back er in. I have the opposite problem in that my driveway slopes down. I can't get the rollers over the lip of the garage entrance without putting boards down to raise up the back end. I have opted for keeping it in my buddy's barn for now.

trane29    0

Thanks for all of the reply's. Good info here. I guess another solution would be, to purchase a boat slip with a lift, at the lake.

I have an extreme drop hitch. I thought that I could switch it in front of my house and try that. Also may have to try the 2x6's.

Again, as I have said at the begining, I am not yet a Centurion owner, but I am getting myself prepared.

Edited by trane29

Troy    234

Going into my shop, in 5' 6" the slope rises 11" Its fairly steep. Then it has a slight slope down the rest of the way to the drive way. Hopefully it works I don't want to have to poor more concrete, but you have to do what you have to do.

Trane29, do you know anyone with an inboard boat? you could always pull their boat over to your house and see what kind of clearance you have.?.? I'm thinking about doing that myself.

On a side note: Kyle, where do you boat? We boat on Eagle Mountain lake, north of Fort Worth.

Kyle    0

On a side note: Kyle, where do you boat? We boat on Eagle Mountain lake, north of Fort Worth.

We hit Eagle Mountain too. And grapevine farly regularly. The problem With Eagle Mountain is finding a place to put in on the east side that isn't too costly. i did discover Lakeview Marina right accross from Westport about 2 months ago, but it is pretty tight to manuver when you can't back a boat staight, being a v drive and all.

Kyle    0

We hit Eagle Mountain too. And grapevine farly regularly. The problem With Eagle Mountain is finding a place to put in on the east side that isn't too costly. i did discover Lakeview Marina right accross from Westport about 2 months ago, but it is pretty tight to manuver when you can't back a boat staight, being a v drive and all.

Kyle    0