Ocurtis    0

Hi all, I am searching for a new boat and stumbled across this forum and am hoping someone can give me some insight. 

I am searching for my first inboard boat. I am looking for a boat that my family can use for everything. Surf, wakeboard, tube, or cruise. We are moving to Tricities WA so elevation isnt a concern. In my searching, It seems that a 2013-2016 Centurion SV233 comes up as a good choice for an all around boat. I also stumbled on the Evo FS33 and am very intrigued by that one as well. 

Is there any other boats you would recommend I add to my search? I am looking to spend around 70-80k but budget isn't super strict. 

Appreciate any advice! 

Troy. R    198
12 hours ago, Ocurtis said:

Hi all, I am searching for a new boat and stumbled across this forum and am hoping someone can give me some insight. 

I am searching for my first inboard boat. I am looking for a boat that my family can use for everything. Surf, wakeboard, tube, or cruise. We are moving to Tricities WA so elevation isnt a concern. In my searching, It seems that a 2013-2016 Centurion SV233 comes up as a good choice for an all around boat. I also stumbled on the Evo FS33 and am very intrigued by that one as well. 

Is there any other boats you would recommend I add to my search? I am looking to spend around 70-80k but budget isn't super strict. 

Appreciate any advice! 

First off, congrats. Centurions will throw the best surf waves on the market. You’re on the right track with your current search. You might want to add FX44 and FS44 to your search. I’m not sure you will find one in your budget, it is the 24’ version of the FS33.

The SV233/244 are the 23’ and 24’ version of the original Enzo hull. Very solid boats. In their time they threw the best waves in their class respectively. Their freeboard is on the low side by today’s surfboat standards.

The FS33/44 is a newer version of the traditional Enzo hull with a “hammerhead” bow. These boats can throw a slightly better surf wave (not sure you’d even notice a difference to be honest) and have a little more freeboard.

Of course options matter. If I were you, I’d be looking for something with ramfill and surf tabs.

If you’re willing to push the budget a little bit, you might look at the 2018 + fi23, ri237, or Supreme ZS232. These boats have a completely new Opti-V (Supreme is a “tapered-V” which is a version of the opti-V) hull that is a game changer.

Ocurtis    0
19 minutes ago, Troy. R said:

First off, congrats. Centurions will throw the best surf waves on the market. You’re on the right track with your current search. You might want to add FX44 and FS44 to your search. I’m not sure you will find one in your budget, it is the 24’ version of the FS33.

The SV233/244 are the 23’ and 24’ version of the original Enzo hull. Very solid boats. In their time they threw the best waves in their class respectively. Their freeboard is on the low side by today’s surfboat standards.

The FS33/44 is a newer version of the traditional Enzo hull with a “hammerhead” bow. These boats can throw a slightly better surf wave (not sure you’d even notice a difference to be honest) and have a little more freeboard.

Of course options matter. If I were you, I’d be looking for something with ramfill and surf tabs.

If you’re willing to push the budget a little bit, you might look at the 2018 + fi23, ri237, or Supreme ZS232. These boats have a completely new Opti-V (Supreme is a “tapered-V” which is a version of the opti-V) hull that is a game changer.

appreciate the feedback! yeah budget isnt super important. I will check those other boats out. one of the things that intrigued me about the SV233 is that it seems to cruise comfortable in the low 30's - any feedback on that regarding the other models on here? I am leaving a cobalt which cruises amazing a 38 so trying to not give that all up! 

another thing - I am finding a few nice SV233's for sale but they all have the 343hp motor - I would really like the 409. any feedback on the 343v409v450? 

Troy. R    198

Your cruising speed will be dependent on your prop. There’s a bit of a compromise to get the bottom end torque you need to surf with the top end cruising speed you’ll be able to achieve.

I have a ZS232 with the 450 engine and I rarely cruise over about 30mph just because I prefer to keep the rpm a little lower when cruising. I “can” push it to the upper 30’s (maybe 40) range if I want to run WOT.

There are some SV233s out there with the 409, but the majority are going to have the 343. That boat is a little lighter and I’ve never heard of that engine being insufficient for that boat.

If I remember correctly, the SV244 and FS33 base engine was the 409 with the 450 as an option and the FX/FS44 base engine was the 450. Traditionally Centurion has done a pretty good job at making sure their boats are married with the proper power plant for their intended use.

Troy. R    198
39 minutes ago, Ocurtis said:

ok, got it. I found a boat (all they way in Wisconsin!) but it is a 2015 SV233 with the 409. 

https://www.sunnysidemarina.net/inventory/2015-centurion-enzo-sv233-balsam-lake-wi-54810-11546968i 

seems like a decent price. thoughts? 

Looks like a nice SV233. It has low hrs, Ramfill, and CATS.
Very solid boat. In terms of price, it seems pretty reasonable based on the rest of what is out there, at least on Boat Trader.

I'd consider looking at one of these as well:
https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2015-centurion-enzo-fs44-8834127/

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2015-centurion-enzo-fs33-8504361/

Edited by Troy. R

Ocurtis    0

I have actually been talking to the guy on the FS33. if you were buying a boat, do you believe the FS33 or FS44 is a better boat than the SV233?

Ocurtis    0

another question. the FS33 is amazing to me on the color scheme... give me your thoughts on 396 hours vs below 200 on the other two 

Troy. R    198

Yes. FS 33/44 are superior in SV233/244. That’s not to knock the SV’s, they’re great boats too. The FS’s are just nicer. Newer hull/running surface, more freeboard, more main cabin space, etc.

When I bought my boat a few yrs back, I started by looking at SV233/244s. I always loved those boats and their waves back when I had my old Avalanche. I pretty quickly pivoted to FS33/44s. Then I realized (at that time, not so much now) you could find new “value brand” boats for close to the price of the FS’s. I looked at them all Axis, ATX, Moomba, Supreme, MB Sport. The ZS232 really stuck out and I ended up finding a smoking deal on one in Florida, bought it, and had it shipped to Arizona.

My wife and I ride regular and our kids ride goofy, so the ability to fill all of the ballast and switch side in seconds with the tabs was really desirable to us. In fairness, you can switch very quickly with Ramfill too. My old Avalanche took about 10 minutes to drain one side and fill the other for comparison.

Troy. R    198
10 minutes ago, Ocurtis said:

another question. the FS33 is amazing to me on the color scheme... give me your thoughts on 396 hours vs below 200 on the other two 

The 396 hrs for an 8 yr old boat that has been well maintained wouldn’t scare me away. That said, the FS44 only has 142hrs for $2k-ish more.

• Like 1

Ocurtis    0

Appreciate your help on all this! the FS33 told me they would go to $83k but that is their low. I am going to work on the FS44.. that is better location too haha. I am currently living in San Diego but moving to PAsco WA in August. My sister lives in Boise and I could park this at her house until I move

Troy. R    198
7 minutes ago, Ocurtis said:

Appreciate your help on all this! the FS33 told me they would go to $83k but that is their low. I am going to work on the FS44.. that is better location too haha. I am currently living in San Diego but moving to PAsco WA in August. My sister lives in Boise and I could park this at her house until I move

Nice.

Best of luck. Keep me posted on what you end up going with.

Ocurtis    0

Troy, I called on the FS44. The shop has it on consignment and doesnt know much about the boat. It is very low hours but they dont know anything about the maintenance or otherwise. With a supercharged motor, I would be very concerned about maintenance. 

I am not in a rush so I will probably keep waiting. I cant use the boat until August anyway! 

If you see anything, Please PM me! Appreciate all the input you provided already. I think the FS33 is my preferred boat, but FS44 is a close second

Troy. R    198
5 hours ago, Ocurtis said:

Troy, I called on the FS44. The shop has it on consignment and doesnt know much about the boat. It is very low hours but they dont know anything about the maintenance or otherwise. With a supercharged motor, I would be very concerned about maintenance. 

I am not in a rush so I will probably keep waiting. I cant use the boat until August anyway! 

If you see anything, Please PM me! Appreciate all the input you provided already. I think the FS33 is my preferred boat, but FS44 is a close second

Yeah, I agree. I would want maintenance record etc. Especially on that supercharged engine. I would assume the dealer could do a compression test for a little peace of mind?
Will do on the PM if anything catches my eye that I think might interest you.

Is 23'-24' what you're looking for specifically?

Edited by Troy. R

Ocurtis    0

Yeah k think 23-24 is my preference. I would like to find something around 200 hours if possible. Don't really want a supercharged motor - haven't heard anything bad but one more thing to break and that's a lot of power