Sign in to follow this  
kiddhardware

2006 Centurion Avalanche strut replacement

2006 Ski Centurion Avalanche w/BS 330. Last summer I hit a rock that did some serious damage to my prop and bent the shaft. I purchased a new shaft and coupler, prop and strut. Originally, the strut looked bent so I replaced it. Before I replaced the strut the prop shaft was off center of the rudder. I found this is common and a design that was used for a few years to make it easier to remove the shaft. I've also peeked my head under a few other Centurions similar to mine and the shaft is offset on a few. No vibrations or issues that would indicate a problem before the damage.
The new strut is straight, installed and now I'll need to drop the rudder before I can replace the shaft. This is where I hit pause. If I use the non offset strut I believe the shaft alignment will change. Has anyone done this before? Replaced an offset strut with a straight one. The offset of the original strut caused the boat to pull hard right under load and that's something I won't miss. My options are to buy another strut that is offset or take it to the shop for a full engine and driveline alignment. Thoughts?

beau t    8

I did a new shaft and bushings last year and found my shaft/gearbox off a little. Instead of dropping the rudder i chose to pull the v-drive gear box off, its a easy job a couple connectors and water lines, either 4 or 6 nuts hold it onto the transmission shaft and pulls off, mine had a seal leaking between the 2 so i needed to replace it anyhow. There are plenty of vids or write-ups explaining how to do the alignment, a shop is not going to be as critical on this as you will be (in my opinion), i got mine down to 2 thousands when i started it was 18thousands but didn't have to bad of a  viberation. 

Edited by beau t