p5Cent

Soon to be first-time boat owner... words of wisdom?

p5Cent    2

After years of reading, taking classes, and watching videos online, I have finally decided it is now or never.  I’ve been looking for a towboat for a few months now, favoring Centurion Vi and/or Fi these days.

There is not much in the way of friendly/trusted guidance for me since I don’t personally know any boaters that have recently purchased a boat or are active in the boating community.  Therefore I have decided to post here to see if any benevolent souls would like to share their wisdom.

To date, all of my interactions have been with salespeople.  Not all of these have been good, honestly.   Further, a few of the videos I see of experts talking about new boaters seem to suggest an intolerance for the newbies in some cases.  Right now, as an outsider, I can tell there is a lot for me to learn about boating culture and etiquette.  I am generally strive to be considerate and patient with others but no doubt make my mistakes.

One recent mistake was inadvertently making a “lowball” offer on a used boat (about 6.5% below advertised).  This was done by email after visiting and demo-ing the boat. Given the lack of any response, I did further research my offer should have been higher.   Frankly, I have a hard time going back with a new offer because I feel like the relationship with this dealer is more or less destroyed by mutual bad feelings.  Maybe this is the norm in this world, and I need to understand if I make an unacceptable offer I can expect to be ignored.

Obviously, I do not yet have a boat, but I welcome any advice or respectful beatings the community is willing to offer about this or any other boating-related topic for the new guy.

Troy    234

Where are you located? Maybe someone from here could meet up and help out. I’m in DFW area and I would. Lots to learn being new. BUT the willingness to learn makes huge strides. 
If the dealer is close don’t be afraid of going back. Dealer support is huge. It is a boat, it will need to be worked on. Down here in TX the listed price will most likely be the price. Hard to find a Centurion for sale. I don’t take a low ball as bad, I just don’t accept it. If you’re willing to go higher, talk to the dealer. If you can’t go higher (budget), talk to the dealer, they might have a trade that would work for you coming in. 
My $.02. 

Dreamer    96

I always make an offer and usually it’s asking for more than 10% off the listed price. Worst thing they can say is no, best case is a counter offer. I would give it a couple days and call the salesman and see if he received your offer.

p5Cent    2
5 hours ago, Troy said:

Where are you located? Maybe someone from here could meet up and help out. I’m in DFW area and I would. Lots to learn being new. BUT the willingness to learn makes huge strides. 
If the dealer is close don’t be afraid of going back. Dealer support is huge. It is a boat, it will need to be worked on. Down here in TX the listed price will most likely be the price. Hard to find a Centurion for sale. I don’t take a low ball as bad, I just don’t accept it. If you’re willing to go higher, talk to the dealer. If you can’t go higher (budget), talk to the dealer, they might have a trade that would work for you coming in. 
My $.02. 

Thanks for your perspective and advice on this.  It is looking like pricing on used Centurion is universally (at least on the east coast) the same as you describe in TX.  Definitely willing and able to go higher, not so certain I will have the opportunity.  There are other very similar boats across state lines, so all is not lost.  One thing I have read about here and other places is the importance dealer support and relationship, which is what makes me so concerned about the "vibe" of this interaction and what the future might hold if I end up buying this one.  They're not the closest to me, but I hate to alienate anyone nonetheless.  I'm in NC, but appreciate the offer for sure.  I'll be spending a few early weekday mornings on the ramp when nobody is around to try to get my act together.  Hopefully this will help me avoid or minimize the stage fright factor when a line of experienced folks are waiting for me to back down the ramp and launch.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

p5Cent    2
4 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I always make an offer and usually it’s asking for more than 10% off the listed price. Worst thing they can say is no, best case is a counter offer. I would give it a couple days and call the salesman and see if he received your offer.

Good advice, Dreamer.  I'll wait it out a bit and come back at it after a few days.

2010FalconV    0
3 hours ago, p5Cent said:

Thanks for your perspective and advice on this.  It is looking like pricing on used Centurion is universally (at least on the east coast) the same as you describe in TX.  Definitely willing and able to go higher, not so certain I will have the opportunity.  There are other very similar boats across state lines, so all is not lost.  One thing I have read about here and other places is the importance dealer support and relationship, which is what makes me so concerned about the "vibe" of this interaction and what the future might hold if I end up buying this one.  They're not the closest to me, but I hate to alienate anyone nonetheless.  I'm in NC, but appreciate the offer for sure.  I'll be spending a few early weekday mornings on the ramp when nobody is around to try to get my act together.  Hopefully this will help me avoid or minimize the stage fright factor when a line of experienced folks are waiting for me to back down the ramp and launch.

Hi, im a 1st time boat owner.  Live in Raleigh, nc.  Just purchased a 2010 Falcon V Warrior with 250 hrs.  I'm in same boat as thread originator and would love to network with someone in the area re etiquette, maintenance tips, etc.  I have plenty of experience backing trailers however have only once driven a boat onto trailer.  And that was not an inboard boat.  Any help/guidance is appreciated!

Troy. R    198

As others have suggested, pricing is regional. For example, I was looking for a ZS232 earlier this year. Locally in AZ I couldn’t touch one with all the options I wanted for under $100k. I ended up finding a new leftover 2019 with all the options I wanted and then some for $83,800 in Orlando. That much of a variance was very lucky and unusual. Nonetheless, you can find deals in different areas. Also as others suggested, a dealer relationship is important. For that reason I would have preferred to buy from the local dealer, but that kinda $ talks. I have since had the boat into the local dealer and to my surprise they still treated me well even though I didn’t buy from them.

As far as etiquette, the biggest issue is at the ramp/dock. Make sure you have everything ready to go. Everyone in the boat except for the truck driver, trailer tie downs unstrapped, etc. Then launch and ideally hang out back away from the dock waiting for the truck driver to park and come down the dock. When they do, pick them up and clear out. If you have to dock for whatever reason after launching, do it on the side of the dock away from the ramp as to not cause congestion.

When loading the boat, keep it slow and steady. inboards do not steer well at slow speeds. Best advice I can give is to try to align yourself (being on the right side of the boat) between the right trailer guide pole and the center post/winch of the trailer. Keep in mind that you don’t have to be perfect. As long as you’re between the guide poles the trailer bunks will straighten you out.

here are some helpful links. Best of luck!

https://youtu.be/1T804Zb6764

https://youtu.be/RxKzWD-syXA

p5Cent    2
18 hours ago, Troy. R said:

As others have suggested, pricing is regional. For example, I was looking for a ZS232 earlier this year. Locally in AZ I couldn’t touch one with all the options I wanted for under $100k. I ended up finding a new leftover 2019 with all the options I wanted and then some for $83,800 in Orlando. That much of a variance was very lucky and unusual. Nonetheless, you can find deals in different areas. Also as others suggested, a dealer relationship is important. For that reason I would have preferred to buy from the local dealer, but that kinda $ talks. I have since had the boat into the local dealer and to my surprise they still treated me well even though I didn’t buy from them.

As far as etiquette, the biggest issue is at the ramp/dock. Make sure you have everything ready to go. Everyone in the boat except for the truck driver, trailer tie downs unstrapped, etc. Then launch and ideally hang out back away from the dock waiting for the truck driver to park and come down the dock. When they do, pick them up and clear out. If you have to dock for whatever reason after launching, do it on the side of the dock away from the ramp as to not cause congestion.

When loading the boat, keep it slow and steady. inboards do not steer well at slow speeds. Best advice I can give is to try to align yourself (being on the right side of the boat) between the right trailer guide pole and the center post/winch of the trailer. Keep in mind that you don’t have to be perfect. As long as you’re between the guide poles the trailer bunks will straighten you out.

here are some helpful links. Best of luck!

https://youtu.be/1T804Zb6764

https://youtu.be/RxKzWD-syXA

Glad to hear your local dealer treated you well, that is a concern I have.  Hopefully it is the same over here.  Launching and loading seem to be where most of the stress is, but luckily I'll have a small crew.  I'll be docking sometimes when going solo, but in those cases it will probably be a very slow time at the ramp.

Thanks for the links and loading advice. I have not heard those particular points in the videos I have watched so far, and good tip on the slow-speed handling of these boats, something that might take a newbie by surprise.  Looking forward to the day I master that.