Sign in to follow this  
SamA

A few questions before I order a new boat...

SamA    0

Hi all- new to the Centurion world.  Currently have a 2014 Axis A24 with 450hp LS3.  Demo’ed an Fi23 recently and really liked it.  But after sitting in an Ri237 I feel like it is worth the price increase.  Ri245 is unfortunately out of my range.  In the Malibu world, there have been a fair number of issues with touchscreen reliability over the last few years.  How have the Centurion screens been holding up?  We plan to keep this boat forever, so eventual out-of-warranty reliability is important.  Also, the 6.0 450 was rocket-like powerful in the Fi23- is it still plenty powerful enough in the Ri237?  We boat anywhere from 1000’ to 3600’ elevation.  I know the Ri should only be about 500-600 pounds heavier when fully ballasted.  Any other common issues over the last couple years in the Centurion boats?  

It sounds like you live where I do.  Stg?  

I am interested in the responses.  It is too bad that the site doesn't get the traffic to get answers more quickly.  

My guess is going to be that nobody knows a ton about the screens.  The oldest ones are maybe 4 years old?  

Edited by Tallredrider

Troy. R    198

I haven’t read or heard anything in terms of problems with the touchscreens on Centurions, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. That said, if they were really prevalent I would expect you could find something on a search on this site.

I have a Supreme ZS232 with a 6.0L 450 and run at similar elevation (Arizona). The ZS is 500lbs lighter when fully loaded, but I’ve also had as many as 12 in the boat with no issue. The only “problem” I ever had was with 14 in the boat I had to have someone jump in the bow to get up to surf speed when fully loaded.

SamA    0
18 hours ago, Troy. R said:

I haven’t read or heard anything in terms of problems with the touchscreens on Centurions, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t out there. That said, if they were really prevalent I would expect you could find something on a search on this site.

I have a Supreme ZS232 with a 6.0L 450 and run at similar elevation (Arizona). The ZS is 500lbs lighter when fully loaded, but I’ve also had as many as 12 in the boat with no issue. The only “problem” I ever had was with 14 in the boat I had to have someone jump in the bow to get up to surf speed when fully loaded.

Thanks Troy.  Good to know.  Are you running a 16x15 or a 16x13 prop?

SamA    0
23 hours ago, Tallredrider said:

It sounds like you live where I do.  Stg?  

I am interested in the responses.  It is too bad that the site doesn't get the traffic to get answers more quickly.  

My guess is going to be that nobody knows a ton about the screens.  The oldest ones are maybe 4 years old?  

Thank you.  Yes, we are in Logandale.  Lake Mead (Echo Bay) is our home lake, with a couple trips to Powell each year.  I’m sure hoping the touch screens are reliable.  We will also spec the boat with a 16x13 prop since low-end power is far more important to me than top speed.  The demo Fi23 had the 16x13 prop and it acted like it was zero effort to get out of the hole, but that was with just 3 adults in the boat. I find it interesting that PCM was the first direct injection manufacturer and I have seen several used 2016-2017 Ri237’s with the H6 engine.  But most all the 2018-2021’s have the HO450.  I’m kind of surprised that PCM even offers both options.  I am really only familiar with the Malibu/Axis line, but they have pretty much migrated to just the direct injected M5/M6 engines (plus the supercharged ones for the big boys).  I’m surprised for just economy of scale that PCM hasn’t done the same? There must be something I don’t know...

1 hour ago, SamA said:

Thank you.  Yes, we are in Logandale.  Lake Mead (Echo Bay) is our home lake, with a couple trips to Powell each year.  I’m sure hoping the touch screens are reliable.  We will also spec the boat with a 16x13 prop since low-end power is far more important to me than top speed.  The demo Fi23 had the 16x13 prop and it acted like it was zero effort to get out of the hole, but that was with just 3 adults in the boat. I find it interesting that PCM was the first direct injection manufacturer and I have seen several used 2016-2017 Ri237’s with the H6 engine.  But most all the 2018-2021’s have the HO450.  I’m kind of surprised that PCM even offers both options.  I am really only familiar with the Malibu/Axis line, but they have pretty much migrated to just the direct injected M5/M6 engines (plus the supercharged ones for the big boys).  I’m surprised for just economy of scale that PCM hasn’t done the same? There must be something I don’t know...

Who did you demo with?  Isn't @BoardCo your nearest dealer?  

Troy. R    198
5 hours ago, SamA said:

Thanks Troy.  Good to know.  Are you running a 16x15 or a 16x13 prop?

I’m not sure to be honest. I do know the 6.0L 450 is an upgrade on the ZS and comes with an upgraded prop, so I would guess 16x15.

I’ll take a look at my paperwork and see if it says. Other than that I’d have to look at it next time I pull the boat out of storage.

SamA    0
20 hours ago, Tallredrider said:

Island Lake Marine (out of Fort Collins, CO) is expanding and opening a dealership in the Las Vegas area this year.  They brought a couple boats down and offered some demo rides a couple weeks ago here at Lake Mead.  So we will have a dealership within 60-90 minutes of our house now.  

SamA    0
20 hours ago, Tallredrider said:

Island Lake Marine (out of Fort Collins, CO) is expanding and opening a dealership in the Las Vegas area this year.  They brought a couple boats down and offered some demo rides a couple weeks ago here at Lake Mead.  So we will have a dealership within 60-90 minutes of our house now.