jbfootnote

newby here....2016fs44. Alarm beeps every minute.

jbfootnote    1

Hi guys.  Been following this forum for a while, so helpful.

So we have a 2016 fs44 with 240 hours now.  Last week it alarmed while surfing with about 10 people in the boat and a lot of ballast.  we took a break and removed some ballast and it was fine. Same thing happened the next day.  Then last night, same thing, but then we got a consistent beep afterward while surfing, although it ran fine.

I can't understand the codes it is reading on the engine diagnostics page.

So, my dumb question:  would an impeller cause all of this?  I think the impeller is old and we were planning on replacing soon, my thought was to start there.   If it was not working as efficiently as it should, would it cause the all stop alarm a few times while surfing?  We have not had a complete overheat.  And it only happened while surfing with lots of ballast and lots of people.

I'm doing the impeller regardless, but does anyone think that could solve it all?   Would a dying (but not dead) impeller cause  beeps when the engine gets stressed?  I would guess it would.

Thanks

jb

Edited by jbfootnote
grammar

Jlagos    23

I am not aware of a faulty impeller having the ability to trigger an alarm but maybe the newer boats will monitor water pressure. You mentioned you have not had a complete overheat so does that mean the engine temperature increasing when the alarm sounds? If the engine is getting warmer, then change the impeller and see what happens. If the temp continues to misbeahve make sure you have not sucked up something via the water intake so check the water strainer. If you don't have one I believe the next area to check is leading into the vdrive. 

• Like 1

volzalum    280

go to the engine diagnostics screen on your dash (one to lower right). Check for which code is thrown. Some will continue to alert until cleared. To clear you either need the Diacom software or take it to a dealer. Some codes will clear themselves after a few power cycles, but many require the ECM to be cleared.

• Like 1

jbfootnote    1

okay, where is the water screener (filter?) to check if i have something stuck in there, or a piece of the impeller in there? and how do i get this diacom software?

Edited by jbfootnote

volzalum    280

Before purchasing the software, though make sure your screen shows one or more codes. To do this press menu and engine diagnostics. Then search for codes. My guess is there are 1-3 codes there. They are causing the alarm. For the Diacom you will need the 94030 kit that includes the 94029 adapter that will plug into the CAN network port on the rear port side of the engine.

Jlagos    23

The water strainer will be within a foot or 2 of the engine water intake and will be located before it reaches anything (some boats will not have one) . Follow the large hose from the bottom of the boat that eventually leads to the oil cooler/ transmission cooler. It is not unusual for the ballast systems to have the same type of strainer. A piece of the water impeller will not be in there because the impeller is down stream.  As volzalum said, you still need to clear the codes. If your not familiar with the "water flow " to your engine look at your engine manual it will have a diagram for your engine. 

jbfootnote    1
8 minutes ago, Jlagos said:

The water strainer will be within a foot or 2 of the engine water intake and will be located before it reaches anything (some boats will not have one) . Follow the large hose from the bottom of the boat that eventually leads to the oil cooler/ transmission cooler. It is not unusual for the ballast systems to have the same type of strainer. A piece of the water impeller will not be in there because the impeller is down stream.  As volzalum said, you still need to clear the codes. If your not familiar with the "water flow " to your engine look at your engine manual it will have a diagram for your engine. 

okay, is there some filter i need to clean that is downstream from the impeller ?  i guess i'll be able to see if there are chunks of the impeller missing.  

i think the impeller and i'll check this water intake filter, i bet that fixes it.  but i'll have to clear the codes too.

Jlagos    23

If you have a strainer and your impeller is intact with all of its blades then you have no need to look else where for debris. 

jbfootnote    1

btw....talked to the dealer mechanic.  my impeller is 200 hours old.  He said that even though there isn't a specific impeller sensor, you will absolutely set off several sensors in the engine and it will alarm, if you have an old impeller that is still  working, but not working great.   

i'll be replacing the impeller tonight, i'm hoping that there is some damage to the fins, if there is, i think that explains it.  i also need to clear some codes.