jstang209    0

Just purchased a 97 Elite. The previous owner briefly explained the set up, but it would have been better to have it in writing lol. I would like to understand exactly what I have going on here and how to use it properly.

Obviously 2 amps, 3 batteries, battery selector, and an isolater. 

To the run the boat basically have it in the ON position

Engine off but listening to music have it in ON position

While at home and charging have it in COMBINED position

Boat off, not charging have it in OFF position. 

I only have my charger hooked up to the red top, my understanding is if the switched is on COMBINED, all 3 batteries will receive a charge?

Thanks!

20190714_113118.jpg

Wylie_Tunes    146
3 hours ago, jstang209 said:

While at home and charging have it in COMBINED position

The rest of the switch use is correct, but let me make a suggestion here.

I would look at getting a marine on-board dual bank smart charger or a 2nd charger for the house bank. Main reason being, you have a dedicated house and dedicated cranking bank. Each of these backs is going to be discharged at a different rate and to a different point. Basically, the main cranking will likely never see a deep discharge, while the two house banks in parallel stand to see frequent and deep discharges. 

These banks are going to require a different rate of charge from each other. The charger cannot do this through the VSR from the main cranking side. 

With a dual bank or 2 charges, you can turn the switch off. Providing the ACR is wired correctly, it will be taken out of play, allowing each bank to be charged based on its needs. 

Wylie_Tunes    146

Yes.

Taking a closer look at your pic and see some areas that could be addressed. 

1) the ACR is wired to the batteries, so its still going to come into play when the charger is in use. I know, if you go to BlueSeas site, this is how the have their schematic. 

2) The amps' B+ are wired direct to the batteries, bypassing the switch. And the house bank is not wired to the switch either. Should be a main engine cable and 2 battery cables on the switch, plus the house loads' outputs. I.E. amps