Odishaw

New S238 owner! HELP

Odishaw    0

Reposting..

Hey guys, we just picked up a 16 s238.

Got a few hours on the lake yesterday, but I have some questions.

DASH - what are the 2- open/close toggles on right of steering?

BALLAST - factory hard tanks? And I believe we have the factory optional bags .. which are ;wrap around bow bag, left, and right, 750(I think) bags in the lockers (when full the locker is completely full)...

are these bags typically plumbed in line with the hard tanks? Or what’s going on here exactly... 

Surfing - from what I’ve seen you guys posting, typically filling the rear surf side as much as possible, no bow weight, about 80% opposite side surf tab, and some trim tab? 

F916BD2F-0F67-49BB-BFDE-3011D5821D27.jpeg

Edited by Odishaw

Cameron    4

Ive got a '17.

I have had my best luck from filling everything. The 238 loves weight, a 226 you can get away with not filling as much but the 238 is a huge boat and needs weight to sink it in the water.

Surf tab i run between 65-80, trim tab start at 0 and increase it until the wave cleans up which will vary with the amount of people in the boat.

I cant comment on the dash

The bags in my '17 have their separate pumps, i cannot confirm on your '16 but they should be separate.

• Like 1

Open and close switches are for your hard tanks via gravity fill. Bags are plumbed in separate, pumps are mounted on back wall of transom.

Odishaw    0
26 minutes ago, lake dweller said:

Open and close switches are for your hard tanks via gravity fill. Bags are plumbed in separate, pumps are mounted on back wall of transom.

Ok so just surf with them on “open”

rrd525    40

Open fills the tanks, let them sit open for say 2 mins. They will flood full. Close the switch to keep the water in the hard tank.  To drain the hard tank, open the switch for about a minute while driving at 10+ mph. Then close the switch.

Fill both hard tanks 100 percent,  fill both rear POP bags 100 per cent, fill center tank 100 per cent, fill bow bag 50 to 100 per cent. Right or left surf tab all the way down  then maybe a few clicks up. Trim tab usually between 50 to 100 percent, but adjust to your boat and crew size. You can also Bleed a few seconds of water from opposite hard tank to clean the wave if needed.

You will have 4 pumps. One for center, one for bow, one for each rear PNP bag. If the rear bags are still factory, they are too small, go for 850, 1000 or 1100's. Or/ and add some lead weight bags at the rear transom corners.

Change ballast impellers probably once per season. And you may need to stick a rubber cork in your rear POP bag vent hole if they are draining while surfing.

Have fun out there.

Edited by rrd525

Odishaw    0
24 minutes ago, rrd525 said:

Open fills the tanks, let them sit open for say 2 mins. They will flood full. Close the switch to keep the water in the hard tank.  To drain the hard tank, open the switch for about a minute while driving at 10+ mph. Then close the switch.

Fill both hard tanks 100 percent,  fill both rear POP bags 100 per cent, fill center tank 100 per cent, fill bow bag 50 to 100 per cent. Right or left surf tab all the way down  then maybe a few clicks up. Trim tab usually between 50 to 100 percent, but adjust to your boat and crew size. You can also Bleed a few seconds of water from opposite hard tank to clean the wave if needed.

You will have 4 pumps. One for center, one for bow, one for each rear PNP bag. If the rear bags are still factory, they are too small, go for 850, 1000 or 1100's. Or/ and add some lead weight bags at the rear transom corners.

Change ballast impellers probably once per season. And you may need to stick a rubber cork in your rear POP bag vent hole if they are draining while surfing.

Have fun out there.

Thanks dude!

In the rear locker, when when the bag is completely full, it’s right to the top hatch, and you can fit your hands down around it. Any ideas what size bag that is? 

Odishaw    0

Here’s a pic of the rear locker (not completely full) any ideas

F8CBE974-A98A-4070-980B-2CE2883969ED.jpeg

Edited by Odishaw

rrd525    40
7 hours ago, Odishaw said:

And I’m guessing this is the valve to let out the factory hard tanks?

8679594F-4BB9-45FE-B8C9-6AA58D965ACD.jpeg

Yes, it is operated by the open/Close switch. Should it fail, you can manually open the valve.

rrd525    40
7 hours ago, Odishaw said:

Here’s a pic of the rear locker (not completely full) any ideas

F8CBE974-A98A-4070-980B-2CE2883969ED.jpeg

Not sure off hand as we run sumo 1000s. Judging by the size of bag in the locker, and that it isn't quite full, they could be Fly High 1100.

rrd525    40

I saw you asking about surf speed. Vary between 11.0 to 11.6 mph in most cases. Adjust the speed for length , height and head winds.

We are usually 11.2 to 11.4 mph. RPM sits between 3200 to 3600.

Odishaw    0

Thanks for the input guys.

*how do you really know If the rear hard tanks are filling ? 

Here’s a pic of the goofy side yesterday..

Factory Tanks all full

rear bags full

bow bag half full

trim 70%

surf tab 30-40%

one driver - one surfer

gunna try adding a couple fat sacs on the seats today.

0A1BAB71-91B6-4E78-83BD-CEF9A806D1C7.jpeg

Edited by Odishaw

skymiker    5

If you find the rear plug and play bags siphon draining out the vent lines on either side of the boat after they are filled, these plugs work perfect: https://www.amazon.com/DEALIKEE-Wash-Plug-0-6-Motorcycle/dp/B0777P4Y97/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1534559697&sr=sr-1&keywords=dealikee+wash+plug.  Just be sure to remove them when you drain the bags.  Note the bags are cross vented so the port side bag will vent/spill out the starboard side and vice versa.  The factory bags didn't do it, but my 850 Sumo bags do.  Got my best regular side wave last week with all ballast full, surf left all the way down then 3 clicks up, trim tab all the way down then 4 clicks up, and 11.8 speed.  If I just have my two small kids and wife on the boat I put the stock 550 lb bag on the floor.  If I have some extra bodies on board they go on the surf side and I didn't need the 550 on the floor.  Good luck!