Sign in to follow this  
Odishaw

New s238 owner. help!

Odishaw    0

Hey guys, we just picked up a 16 s238.

Got a few hours on the lake yesterday, but I have some questions.

DASH - what are the 2- open/close toggles on right of steering?

BALLAST - I believe we have the additional factory bags.. but the wrap around bow bag, and a left, and right, 500 or 750 bag in the lockers...are these bags typically plumbed to the hard tanks below? 

Surfing - from what I’ve seen you guys posting, typically filling the rear surf side as much as possible, no bow weight, about 80% opposite side surf tab, and some trim tab? 

F916BD2F-0F67-49BB-BFDE-3011D5821D27.jpeg

Edited by Odishaw
Photo add

InfinitySurf    302

On 8/16/2018 at 10:28 AM, Odishaw said:

Hey guys, we just picked up a 16 s238.

Got a few hours on the lake yesterday, but I have some questions.

DASH - what are the 2- open/close toggles on right of steering?

BALLAST - I believe we have the additional factory bags.. but the wrap around bow bag, and a left, and right, 500 or 750 bag in the lockers...are these bags typically plumbed to the hard tanks below? 

Surfing - from what I’ve seen you guys posting, typically filling the rear surf side as much as possible, no bow weight, about 80% opposite side surf tab, and some trim tab? 

F916BD2F-0F67-49BB-BFDE-3011D5821D27.jpeg

On surfing, every boat is a little different, your above post is a good place to start with any boat....then tweak from there. You have trim tab surf system on a 2016, right? (the 2 outside tabs on rear of boat....center one is the trim tab). Filling ballast on only one side is "listing" the boat to create a wave....and can work very well (basically what you posted above but you do not need surf tab if not weight in non-surf side).

Since you have the surf system....fill all ballast and then use surf tab to get your wave, the least deployment possible will typically give you largest, cleanest wave....then you can drain off some of the weight on non-surf side and see if it gets better, etc. Bow weight...try with and try without. Some boats like it and it will make wave longer....some boats do not like bow weight and create better wave without it. The more ballast/people you have, the more likely the boat will like some bow ballast. (I run 800-900lbs of bow ballast in my Centurion but also run close to 5k in ballast total).

Its a starting point anyway, someone with that boat will likely chime in with more specific tips. Play with it and don.t think that more trim tab necessarily means better/bigger wave....make changes in small increments till you get what you want. I am also sure you can search this forum for threads on a good setup for that boat.

-HONCHO-    13

This is quoted from the facebook page, hope it helps

on the '16 238, the goofy setup is 
100% both hard tanks
100% rear goofy pnp
0% bow 
0% center 
0% trim tab
Surf right tab click down until wave is clean
11mph

regular setup:
100% both hard tanks
100% rear regular pnp
50% rear goofy pnp
0% bow
0% center
50% trim tab
surf left click down until wave is clean 
11mph

we also run 200 pounds of lead in each rear locker as far back as possible and also 200 pounds of lead on the corner seat of surf side.

h20king    794

The two switches by the steering wheel are to fill the in hull hard tanks. All other ballast is on it's own pump. I have  over 400 hours on the 16 238 and the best wake the boat makes is listed. The 238 loves weight so order up 800 lbs of wake ballast if you do not have the wake makers bag upgrade 700 lbs if you do. Put 300 in each rear locker then divide the rest under the side seat. For regular move all lead from under side seat and move to  surf side fill bot hard tanks center tank and surf side sack. Set trim to 20% and speed to 11.2 get up to speed and do a couple clicks on surf left to shape the wake. Goofy do the same but trim at 90% accelerate to speed then open left hard tank  and drain some water tell wake cleans then use a couple clicks on surf right to shape.

Edited by h20king