Sign in to follow this  
darkness05

Blown cabin speaker and 2 towers not working

truekaotik    458

The tower will be louder but the interior sound needs to be blended with the interior.... My opinion.. Also no matter the tower and inboat set up you can achieve a well balanced exterior or interior sounding boat done right. Now with that said the user comes into play and if they want something more dominate than its discussed in that aspect..

Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

Wylie_Tunes    146

Just asking because I have never heard properly powered and tuned icons and will be buying a new boat in 18

Powered and tuned right, two pair of 8" coaxials is an impressive setup. However, come the 2018 model year, you never know what might be available tower coaxial wise :secret:

truekaotik    458

Ok that was not typed correct...

Example...

1 ss10

6 xs65i

HT6

Rev8's

HT4

Or

1xs12

6 xs650

SD6

2 rev410's

SD4

Done right you will hear the interior and tower speakers outside of the boat cohesive with the revs projecting the balanced sound not over taking it. If you miss match to broad you may run into issues... It's about matching everything and not just going nuts on one. Unless you want that..

Edited by truekaotik

h20king    794

Example...

1 ss10

6 xs65i

HT6

Rev8's

HT4

Or

1xs12

6 xs650

SD6

2 rev410's

SD4

Done right you will hear the interior and tower speakers outside of the boat cohesive with the revs projecting the balanced sound not over taking it. If you miss match to broad you may run into issues... It's about matching everything and not just going nuts on one. Unless you want that..

yep your tuning advice was spot on for my system.

h20king    794

Example...

1 ss10

6 xs65i

HT6

Rev8's

HT4

Or

1xs12

6 xs650

SD6

2 rev410's

SD4

that's what im asking can you get that with the icons running the 65I to full potential or would you need to tune down some??

truekaotik    458

The icons installed instead of a pair of Rev 8's difference? Ok..

The Revs

will project past the platform better... Depending on tuning can be twice as bright if that's your cup of tea... Can be heard atleast 80ft, which is well over the Inboats but still get a hint of a sub...

The Icons

Will sound warmer, be ok to surf levels with FAE, dual will be needed if no FAE... Can be pushed as hard as a rev8.... You loose projection...

Wylie_Tunes    146

that's what im asking can you get that with the icons running the 65I to full potential or would you need to tune down some??

Again, it depends on where your perspective is. Where in, on or around the boat, are you trying to achieve this? As stated. In the boat, the surrounding coaxials will be dominate as they are more at your level and firing right at you. The tower speakers are mounted above you and firing back along the horizon. If you are behind the boat, you are going to hear the tower pods. You cant gain the 2 zones to have volume balance between them, in two different perspectives. The only way to have the tower zone and in-boat zone balance volume wise, no mater where you are, is to use dual zone volume control. Tune each zone to peak output, then use the two volume knobs to adjust the ratio based on whether you are in the boat or behind the boat.

h20king    794

The icons installed instead of a pair of Rev 8's difference? Ok..

The Revs

will project past the platform better... Depending on tuning can be twice as bright if that's your cup of tea... Can be heard atleast 80ft, which is well over the Inboats but still get a hint of a sub...

The Icons

Will sound warmer, be ok to surf levels with FAE, dual will be needed if no FAE... Can be pushed as hard as a rev8.... You loose projection...

thanks that is what I wanted to know. Sounds like ill opt out again rev 8's are bright I prefer the sound of the 10's..was wondering about the icons but sounds like they will not have enough range to overcome the exhaust.they did not fix the spacing on the new tower and I like the look of 4 tower speaker's

Wylie_Tunes    146

sounds like they will not have enough range to overcome the exhaust.

I have to disagree. two pair or properly powered and tuned 8" coaxial with 1" metal dome tweeter will have no issue competing with exhaust. In reality, the biggest difference between an HLCD and a coaxial is not the distance of travel, but rather the focus, or narrow cone of focus over distance. A coaxial will disperse into a wider cone over the same distance where an HLCD has a narrow cone due to the horn flare. But both can be heard over distance. Now, an 8" HLCD will typically have a power handling advantage over a coaxial. So, if your primary goal is wake boarding, go HLCD. If your mail goal is near field, then consider the 2 pair of 8" coaxial. Then again, I think the 2018 model is going to make all this moot.

darkness05    8

Got into my amp today and fiddled around with the wires ... and sure enough the 2 outer towers turned back on :D Pretty happy about that. Gained the amp up a little as it was only at 25% for the towers (cabins were at 50%)

The cabin speaker is definitely blown - had my audio guy confirm who is also a WS dealer/installer.

Next step try to get it replaced under warranty as it blew after 2 days of use. Then onto getting into a new amp. Do you suggest the SYN4 or SYNDX4 to power the 4 x Icons? Wouldn't mind adding another pair of cabins (one right in the helm - the other across from it). Guessing that the HT6 could power all 8 cabins?

h20king    794

Also make sure the towers and inboats are set to high pass

Wylie_Tunes    146

Gained the amp up a little as it was only at 25% for the towers (cabins were at 50%)

You cant compare the gain percentage of one amp driving one setup to an entirely different amp driving an entirely different setup. 2nd, you are assuming that the amp set at 50% is correct. Good chance the amp is gained down from the factory, just dont use the in-boat amp as your guide for setting the tower amp.

Do you suggest the SYN4 or SYNDX4 to power the 4 x Icons?

Neither. Syn-2 if still available or Syn-DX2.

h20king    794

Got into my amp today and fiddled around with the wires ... and sure enough the 2 outer towers turned back on :D Pretty happy about that. Gained the amp up a little as it was only at 25% for the towers (cabins were at 50%)

The cabin speaker is definitely blown - had my audio guy confirm who is also a WS dealer/installer.

Next step try to get it replaced under warranty as it blew after 2 days of use. Then onto getting into a new amp. Do you suggest the SYN4 or SYNDX4 to power the 4 x Icons? Wouldn't mind adding another pair of cabins (one right in the helm - the other across from it). Guessing that the HT6 could power all 8 cabins?

yes the Ht 6 will do 8 inboats. Not sure you will need them though. I think you will be surprised just how good they sound and how much more output they have when using the ht 6 for just the inboats. Thats 100 watts RMS to each speaker. Get the 420 eq as well as the tower amp then tune the system and see if you still want more.The factory set up leaves a lot on the table and is not even close to its potential

Wylie_Tunes    146

You cant compare the gain percentage of one amp driving one setup to an entirely different amp driving an entirely different setup. 2nd, you are assuming that the amp set at 50% is correct. Good chance the amp is gained down from the factory, just dont use the in-boat amp as your guide for setting the tower amp.

Minor correct. I forgot that a single HT-6 was being used for all speakers. So even though the in-boat side of the amp and the tower side of the amp are receiving the same input source, the gains will not be symmetrical if one half is driving 2 ohm load and the other half is driving a 4 ohm load. Also, a 6.5 coaxial in-boat is not going to be set the same as an 8" tower coaxial. So dont use the in-boat as your bench and assume that the gain for the towers need to 50%. And again, who know if that 50% is even correct.

truekaotik    458

Yes the HT6 will power 8 Inboats no problem.... For the 4 icons on a single amp you have the choice of a HT2 at 150 watts a speaker, the SynDX at 187 watts a speaker (this is not a noticeable difference) or a SD2 at 310 watts a speaker... Edited by truekaotik
  • Like 1

Wylie_Tunes    146

@ H2o

Sounds like you will be adding a 4th pair of in-boats as well as maybe going a different route that what the OEM tower option is on your next boat. I would consider order stereo delete or base system. For 4 pair of in-boats that are all the same, I would go with the Syn-DX4. With only a $50 retail difference, you will be getting an amp thats going to deliver 200W rms into a 2 ohm load over an amp thats delivering 150W rms into the same 2 ohm load.

h20king    794

That's what I have always done. With our 238 we just got the standard stereo as going delete does no take anything off the price. I brought it home and ripped it apart. I reused the head unit and standard ht 6 amp to power my inboats. I should add although I ordered without tower speaker's all 6 speakers came wired to just four channel's hence my statement that the factory leaves a lot on the table. I bought a set of rev tens a ws htx2 amp a jl12w3 sub a 420 eq rgb speaker rings and ws controller. I had a arc 600.2 to power the revs so all in all I spent almost 3k which is about what the factory upgrade costs and have a way better system for the $$$ they have not fixed the speaker spacing on the new tower so 1 set of tens is all that will fit using factory mounting locations.

• Like 2