Ok so I bought a 100 amp one wire alternator and installed it. Should be enough to charge both optimas. Runs great now! Starts up quickly and idles. I ran the engine for roughly an hour and it did not go over 160 degrees. The only issue I was having was with that transmission growl that happens randomly. Sometimes it causes the engine to shut off when I put it in reverse and back to neutral quickly. I fixed all gauges, rpms work, and installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Got a wakeboard tower installed and bimini top. Wired up a sound system. Boat is almost ready for the Lake! Thanks again for all your help Super!

superdtf    68

Awesome. Let me suggest that when you go to the lake you plan a couple of hours with you and just ONE buddy. Take your time, figure out your trailer, idle it around, make sure it's not overheating, then put it up on plane, take it back off... you know, take it slow without the pressure of "a day at the lake". I've spent countless hours in my life with my shoulders getting burned, the motor cover up, family growling on the beach or the dock... you get the picture. Take it slow. We may have missed something, and you don't want to pay the high price for it; just the regular price. ;)

Make sense?

superdtf    68

OK 89, we're looking for an update? Did the boat sink with you in it? (man that would be a crappy joke if that's what happened)

haha no I havent sunk her...yet! (knocks on wood) I'm going to take it out on Lopez Lake next week. Ive just been doing minor stuff now that I got her running good. (oil change, spark plugs, wiring up my system etc.

640 watt 4 channel baja amp pushing 2 10" shallow mount rockfords in two custom boxes I made out of 3/4" MDF for under the rear seat. 500k farad capacitor, 4 6x9's and a sony marine stereo

20130603_182358_zps9df85637.jpg

20130603_182447_zpsfaedd3b6.jpg

Heres a pic of the tower and bimini top..

IMG_1855_zps674cc357.jpg

• Like 1

RVR-RAT    269

Looking good, It's come a long way :thumbsup:

Ok so I took her out on her maiden voyage yesterday. Everything was going good until the temp went up to 190. Docked it and pulled the thermostat. It was a 180 degree one. Then took it out again only to have it start mis firing and back firing at high rpms. Pulled over and pulled spark plug from cylinder 1, the tip was completely melted. Then I inspected the distributor and noticed the distributor had a vacuum advance hookup that I know isn't supposed to be on a marine application. I've purchased the correct distributor on ebay and am going to convert it to electronic ignition. I've determined this is not the original motor for the boat. It was probably pulled from a vehicle and installed with all accessories still attached minus the impeller and exhaust manifolds. I've marinized the fuel pump, carb, alternator, thermostat should be 143 or 160 not 180 and the alternator should be on the right side of the motor not left. Either way it works now and is finally safe for the water.

superdtf    68

doubt it's an automotive block. Too many other things that really wouldn't work. You are probably missing a ballast resistor (check your coil to see if it's hotter than hell). You can order the right one from DIM, or in a pinch, you can order one from the parts counter from a late 70's ford econoline van, 351 windsor.

Smart move on the distributor, depending on which one you got, that may or may not obviate the need for the ballast resistor: http://www.youfixcars.com/images/ballast-resistor.jpg