CdnWakesurfr

Off Season Fitness Challenge

I think everyone would agree that at times, it's difficult staying motivated when starting a fitness regime. I would encourage all of us to maybe consider eating more healthy and being more active, especially in the bitter (at least up here in the great white north) weather of the fall & winter.

I don't think we need to make wagers of who can lose the most weight (it's too subjective), rather, having each others support is more valuable to try and change bad habits and as a community answer fitness, nutrition questions that may arise.

If you have a great website with content that may help eachother live healthier, post it here. Update each other regularily...if you workout or are active 5 days in a given week, brag a bit and kick the rest of us in the pants to get active again.

If you want to join, just post to the board and keep everyone updated with your progress. Make sure to have realistic goals when starting. What you'll get out of this challenge is not a monetary prize, but if you put in an effort to stay active, I can ALMOST guarantee, you'll feel awesome!

This thread may die a quick or long death, but at least I tried.

Cheers,

Darren

Edited by CdnWakesurfr

Beginning stats (Sept 14, 2010)

Height: 5' 9"

Weight: 182 lbs

I'm meeting with a fitness coach later this week to fine tune my workouts, am planning on reducing the "empty" calories of wine and refined sugar. Wine will be the hardest for me to cut out, as I really like to have a glass while cooking dinner.

With 2 young kids (2 and 4), I need to find the best time to workout. Thinking it might be best to wake up at 5:15am to squeeze it in before heading to work at 6:30.

They say after 3 weeks, you can create a habit. I'm hoping, my habit can be getting exercise 5 days a week (40 - 60 minutes per session). :offtopic:

Looking for a healthy snack, consider shakes.

http://www.projectswole.com/diet/70-protein-shake-recipes/

Fine, I'm in...

I don't have a lot to loose - I'm 6'4" and and 221lbs right now - I'm not even sure I plan to lose weight, so much as move it around a bit!

I do know is there are some days I'd like to get outta bed feeling a little better, so eating better, and regular exercise are key components to that. It doesn't help that i'm a believer in the 4 food groups (Meet, Potatoes, Coffee and Beer)

Edited by Shadybrook Surfer

Fine, I'm in...

I don't have a lot to loose - I'm 6'4" and and 221lbs right now - I'm not even sure I plan to lose weight, so much as move it around a bit!

I do know is there are some days I'd like to get outta bed feeling a little better, so eating better, and regular exercise are key components to that. It doesn't help that i'm a believer in the 4 food groups (Meet, Potatoes, Coffee and Beer)

Hahaha, mmmmmmm....beer.

Yeah, coffee, I don't know what I'd do without it. Coffee is not the end of the world, just don't put sugar in it. If you need something consider honey, it's natural. Fruit juices, pop, etc all add to the mid-section weight I'm try to move higher in my body.

Try sweet potato's or yams instead of potato's. They are complex carbs and will help you feel full longer.

Edited by CdnWakesurfr

I win!

I did this last spring when I realized I was just fat and lazy. I blogged the entire thing too. I lost 51lbs in something like 15 weeks.

My goal was to lose 42lbs by my 42nd birthday.

Here you go; there are pics, vids, and much more. http://gleadhillproject42.blogspot.com/

T

Edited by Trevor Gleadhill

islander033    2

You guys suck! :offtopic:

I can't start this until I'm back from partying in Texas, but I am in too.

Now where are those pills you promised me... :offtopic:

I win!

I did this last spring when I realized I was just fat and lazy. I blogged the entire thing too. I lost 51lbs in something like 15 weeks.

My goal was to lose 42lbs by my 42nd birthday.

Here you go. http://gleadhillproject42.blogspot.com/

T

Wow, that's crazy for 15 weeks. Everyone at least needs to check out the first page pictures (before and after).

Trev, can I ask what your weight currently is?

You guys suck! :offtopic:

I can't start this until I'm back from partying in Texas, but I am in too.

Now where are those pills you promised me... :offtopic:

Why not? Using Trevors progression chart, you should be down 15 lbs for Texas...get'r done

David    0

The wife signed us up for this. Its going to kill me.

Presently I’m

I’m 5'10” and 190

Goal weight is 175

Wow, that's crazy for 15 weeks. Everyone at least needs to check out the first page pictures (before and after).

Trev, can I ask what your weight currently is?

Thanks, it was hard work.

So I am below 230...maybe put on 10lbs since. But know that I haven't worked out much since June 30th...about 2.5 months due to a long vacation, a pull hamstring, moving from CA to TX, etc. Excuses, sure but it is what has prevented me from staying with it. I was back in the gym about 10 days ago so I am back to it.

I figure with incorporating more foods and beer again while working out I can maintain fairly easily. I am not eating or working out to lose anymore at this time.

T

I would encourage everyone who will either publicly commit to the challenge, or closet participants, take a photo of themselves at the beginning. It might not be something you want to look at right now, but once you've lost or shifted weight, you'll look back and be able to see the difference. If you want, post the picture here, but no obligation to do so. If you stick to it, I am pretty sure you'll want to show it off in a couple months.

The wife signed us up for this. Its going to kill me.

Presently I’m

I’m 5'10” and 190

Goal weight is 175

Have you started training? If not, it may kill you :offtopic:

My wife runs a different half marathon that weekend. I can`t keep up with her, she goes for casual runs of 4 to 10 miles a couple times a week. I use a rower for my cardio (no running because of my f-ed up anatomy).

Edited by CdnWakesurfr

...i'm a believer in the 4 food groups (Meet, Potatoes, Coffee and Beer)

I'm trying #4 of the shake list first thing tomorrow morning after the workout:

Mocha Shake

Ingredients & Instructions:

6 oz. water

4 ice cubes

2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

6 oz.. coffee*

2 scoops chocolate protein powder

*You may use 12 oz. coffee and no water for an extra pre-workout or morning kick!

Now, I just need to find a beer protein shake...

islander033    2
Why not? Using Trevors progression chart, you should be down 15 lbs for Texas...get'r done

Haha...I don't feel the need to be that aggressive.

If I were to average 1#/week I'd have lost ~20#s by may.....good enough for this cat :offtopic:

PS. Trevor is an beast for doing what he did.

elc    2
Now, I just need to find a beer protein shake...

Let me know when you have figured this out and I am in. :offtopic:

Nice work Trevor!

id hate to be a meanie but, im trying to gain weight.

but understand, im a swimmer and only 165 at 5' 10" so i burn up to 400 calories eveytime i hit the pool.

right now im in off season, so i hit the gym 3 days a week due to a full time school schedule.

but for you all trying to lose the weight, i have a couple of suggestions, not only from what i've read, but from learning from my mom, a body builder.

is actually quite easy, and simple.

1. Cut out all fast food, soda, and beer. the first two are a huge factor in childhood obesity, so why would it discriminate to adults?

2. protein

It's nothing you have to go and spend a ton of money on. youre body only uses about 25-30 grams of protein every two hours, so think about what you put in your shakes, you may be wasting.

the best thing to do is to drink a shake right before bed, that way your body is still in work mode, breaking down not only the proteins, but the fat and other calories you take in during the day.

the worst thing to do is to be hungry all the time. taking a shake at night will help with not being starving in the morning. having a shake instead of a snack with sodium [[like chips]] or something with high carbs [[breads]] will greatly enhance your protein intake while lowering your calorie/fat/carb intake.

3. and one of the most important, is sleep.

getting a good night sleep is key. your body goes through different steps to get to REM [[Rapid Eye Movement]]. the body needs at least 3 cycles of REM a night in order to be well rested. REM: when you are dreaming, when short term memory turns into long term memory, When the body is in complete paralyzation. here's some history for you taking sleep aids, they don't work. the reason is because your body moves from step 1-2-3-4-3-2-REM-2-3-4-3-2-REM-2-3-2-REM-etc. notice how step 4 is missing in the last section? each REM Period is approx. 90 Minutes. making each step longer and longer, causing a deeper sleep. sleep aids put your body straight to number 4, and never moves up and down the scale, thus when you wake up, youre still tired even though you slept for 8 hours, etc. I could go on for days, since i have an exam on thursday about sleep and the brain functions for psychology, but i will not bore you.

of course there are many many more factors that play into this, but i thought id help lay out a few.

please do not quote me on my exact numbers, i have to go look at my notes as to how many REM cycles we need a night, but its late and im tired. BARE WITH ME!

feel free to ask, i think its great that you all are aware of your own issues and are trying to work to resolve them.

PS. Trevor is an beast for doing what he did.

Thanks! It is kinda how I do things...all in or nothing. My wife hates it but for me its hard to go half way.

Nice work Trevor!

Thanks dude.

id hate to be a meanie but, im trying to gain weight.

LOL I hate guys like you. Have a friend like that....its just wrong ;)

T

Big Po    1

I have a few buddies like that, too.

Both of which are eating huge meals constantly, and are like 5'-10" and weigh right around 150 pounds, but they're in shape and not what I'd call scrawney....Yet neither one work out.

My genetics screwed my metabolism. I've been fighting with my weight since I was a kid, and I've only lost alot of weight once, and that was b/c I started taking Adderall and working in the steel shop, and I lost like 80 pounds in about 7-8 months. Sure wish I could do that again...

Edited by Big Po

So, reluctantly dragged my sorry tush out of bed at 5:30 this morning, for a half assed workout. I need to figure something else out other than evening workouts.

I did try the Coffee Protein shake, it was good. Not great, would rather have a blueberry, yogurt, protein shake.

Avy c4, wait until your buddies get a bit older, it will catch up with them. (I'm assuming they're young like you) My older brother was 5'8" - 150lbs and could eat anything...until he was late 20's, when he "ballooned" up to 220, now back to 195 after he realized "things had changed".