Sign in to follow this  
jaxcenturion

Enzo Sac

Got a question about my enzo sac... When I fill my enzo sac up, i really dont think i ever come close to filling it. It only fills the lower section of the bag, it never fills the top section. Before it gets there either water leaks out the vent or the boat is leaning so bad it is about 2'' -3'' above the rub rail...is this just how it is or am i missing something

WakeDoc    471
Got a question about my enzo sac... When I fill my enzo sac up, i really dont think i ever come close to filling it. It only fills the lower section of the bag, it never fills the top section. Before it gets there either water leaks out the vent or the boat is leaning so bad it is about 2'' -3'' above the rub rail...is this just how it is or am i missing something

We have 1/4 turn full flow garden hose valves on our 2 overflow and 2 drain lines on each sac. When filling we lock the drain lines and once it is completely full and overflowing turn the pumps off and lock the overflow, don't loose a drop this way.

Joe B    17

I don't have the manual valve on my Enzo Sac YET!

I think someone has a spring loaded valve that I might try from marineworld (maybe boatersworld?) I think cause I'm all about Automatic, none of this manual stuff (:=

Jax: I too have the same issue. I've gotten more out of it by twist-tie my vent line as high as possible. Until I get a valve, I get about 6" of the top part filled when it could be 10-12" full. Until a valve, that's how it is.

if i get the bag filled more, will more water come in the boat...Since it has those vent holes on the side of the boat....water already comes through those and goes down the vent tubes and get the belt wet on the motor then it makes noise.....what do you guys do, do you have that problem

LakeSurfer    10
if i get the bag filled more, will more water come in the boat...Since it has those vent holes on the side of the boat....water already comes through those and goes down the vent tubes and get the belt wet on the motor then it makes noise.....what do you guys do, do you have that problem

When I have my "lean on", I cover the vent with tape.

Edited by LakeSurfer

all of this just seems like to much effort..i just wanna flip the switch have a cold drink let it fill up and surf..surfing is not our main sport, hydrofoiling is. so surfing is just something fun to do...all this tape and different vavles seems like to much

WakeDoc    471

Not that big of a deal to us when we roll to the other side we also move life vest from one side to the other twisting a couple of valves is cake to have this as a trade off, me driving and no one else but the dog in the boat.

post-a3677-fay-08.jpg

Audionly101    39

I have decent luck with some PVC check valves on my system. The valves keep 1 or 2psi (I think ?) in the bag so it will fill all the way to the top before purging the last of the air and opening. As the boat leans over it will hold the water in even if the vent is lower than the bag. I am not sure how well they will work with non-ballast puppy style pump systems but it may be worth a try for the few dollars they cost.

Boat Owners Warehouse - PVC check valves

Oldwakedude    0
I have decent luck with some PVC check valves on my system. The valves keep 1 or 2psi (I think ?) in the bag so it will fill all the way to the top before purging the last of the air and opening. As the boat leans over it will hold the water in even if the vent is lower than the bag. I am not sure how well they will work with non-ballast puppy style pump systems but it may be worth a try for the few dollars they cost.

Boat Owners Warehouse - PVC check valves

Here is how my boat is set-up and I don't have any problems, any more (there were lots of mods). I don't vent any of my sacs, that is I don't have any plumbed in vents going over the side. After all why do you need a plumbed in vent on a sac. When it fills it expands, if it has air in it you just burp it once out the quick disconnect fitting (or put a hose with a garden hose valve). When you pump it out the sac just goes flat (no need for a vent of any kind). As long as the drain is plumbed through an aerator type pump over the side with no valves you cannot over-pressurize the sac. In the past I had the typical problem with the Enzo sac draining out the side through the drain line, because it was on the same side as the sac. So I re-plumbed the drain overboard to the opposite (high) side of the boat, it no longer self empties when we are running.

I've attached a picture of my current ballast system. We normally run regular, but we have a spare 400# sac (for behind the driver and we can move the 750# sac and the forward 400# sacs to the goofy side (indicated in light grey) if we wish to venture onto the darkside (total weight on goofy side 1800#)

One thing we did was remove the original 4 overboard fittings on the regular side (move two forward for the forward sacs). Found that regular kitchen sink hole plugs (available at Home Depot or Lowes) plugged the holes very nicely (they come in white or Stainless Steel).

Next project will be to add a second pump to the Enzo sac (currently fill with both ballast puppy's) to fill it in 5 minutes or less. Waiting for WakeDoc to figure out and test the best pump to get :yahoo:.

Ballast_system.pdf

Edited by Oldwakedude

Oldwakedude    0
I don't have the manual valve on my Enzo Sac YET!

I think someone has a spring loaded valve that I might try from marineworld (maybe boatersworld?) I think cause I'm all about Automatic, none of this manual stuff (:=

Jax: I too have the same issue. I've gotten more out of it by twist-tie my vent line as high as possible. Until I get a valve, I get about 6" of the top part filled when it could be 10-12" full. Until a valve, that's how it is.

You can get the PVC spring loaded check valves in the plumbing section at Home Depot or Lowes, that's where I got mine.

Oldwakedude    0

Some people remove the grill, put plastic or plexiglass under it to seal it then put it back on. Of course this might interfere with the vent system :ouch: so you should make sure the the blower is not on the side you are sealing :yahoo: and that you will have sufficient alternate vents to properly ventilate the engine compartment :popo: .

Edited by Oldwakedude

duffymahoney    10

Oldwakedude,

I love the bow sacs! I always planned on someday have a flight high bow sac cut in half and have it plumbed for each side on switches. I thought it would be good weight in the bow. Might be something I will try this summer. Do you like them?

Duffy

Oldwakedude    0
Oldwakedude,

I love the bow sacs! I always planned on someday have a flight high bow sac cut in half and have it plumbed for each side on switches. I thought it would be good weight in the bow. Might be something I will try this summer. Do you like them?

Duffy

I hear different comments from people regarding the contribution of bow weight on an Enzo, when I originally set the boat up I was still wakeboarding :yahoo: and I had a surplus valve from the factory system so it seemed like the thing to do. I have not really spent much time trying to figure out how much it improves the wake. I am an engineer so I just like building things, if it improve the wake that's great, if not I have fun doing the mods.

David    0

Do you ever have to purge excess air out of the top of the enzo sac?

WakeDoc    471
So I re-plumbed the drain overboard to the opposite (high) side of the boat, it no longer self empties when we are running.

That is a FANTASTIC idea.

Oldwakedude    0
Do you ever have to purge excess air out of the top of the enzo sac?

Sometimes, but I just pop off the quick disconnect cap (that comes with the sac), burp the air and I am done. Only have to do it once when first filling for the weekend. If I drain the sack and then refill it I don't have to burp it again. It only gets air in it when I take the sac out of the boat to dry out under the sac. Going to use a spare vent port to put a short hose with a garden hose valve on it to make it a little simpler. If the boat is already plumbed it is pretty easy to put the plastic garden hose valve on the vent line, like Wakedoc did. I moved the drain overboard to the other side so I wouldn't have to put a valve in it, which you have to open and close when filling and draining. Wakedoc's setup works well, you just have to remember to open one of the valves when filling (vent) and draining (overboard). I'm not that smart when I'm in the boat :yahoo: so I had to try to make mine a bit more idiot proof :ouch: .

David    0

Do you think you could get away with a check valve on top to act as an air release? The down side I see is if the valve failed open it could make a real mess.

I am just kicking around ideas for when I plumb my sacs in. I only have a stock center tank and don’t want to do a lot of drilling.

Edited by David

Oldwakedude    0
Do you think you could get away with a check valve on top to act as an air release? The down side I see is if the valve failed open it could make a real mess.

I am just kicking around ideas for when I plumb my sacs in. I only have a stock center tank and don’t want to do a lot of drilling.

I wouldn't mess with check valves. For the vent just put a short hose and an inline plastic garden hose valve (burp by hand). For the Enzo sac put the drain overboard on the opposite side (uphill) from the top of the sac (drilling the overboard hole is not that hard).

Aerator pumps will not pump (or at least the efficiency will be greatly reduced) through a spring loaded check valve. They don't like any back pressure or flow restrictions.

duffymahoney    10

All of my empty aerator pumps (mayfair 1000 gph) are on spring loaded check valves and all work great. All the fill pumps are on swing type. The brand I have now has a tension spring and I can set the psi they trip at. Right now it's around 2 psi. They work great for me, but I do know they cut down on some of my flow rate. I have vents for all my sacs because somehow the aerator pumps put air into the sac. I never understood how. My boat is left in a marina 4 months a year and everytime my sac fills up it has air in it.

I thought of putting electric valves in on the empty lines so that my flow wouldn't be as restricted. But to honest it doesn't take long. I am doing the whole surf tab thing, coupled with a wakeplate that is angled more up. I plan on using only the surf tabs to bring the nose down a little, if that doesn't work I may put cool custom starboard bow sac and port bow sac.

Edited by duffymahoney