Looking for some advice on winterization.  Manual says to pull all plugs and let drain.  I've read that people then put the plugs back in a d push marine antifreeze through.  Is this necessary?  New to the surf boat world but can't see paying to have this done.  I live in NW Montana and the boat will be inside but cold storage, any advice would be awesome.

Troy. R    198
On 9/13/2021 at 5:06 PM, Brian Henderson said:

Looking for some advice on winterization.  Manual says to pull all plugs and let drain.  I've read that people then put the plugs back in a d push marine antifreeze through.  Is this necessary?  New to the surf boat world but can't see paying to have this done.  I live in NW Montana and the boat will be inside but cold storage, any advice would be awesome.

I have never used antifreeze, but then again I lived in CA and now live in AZ.

If I were in NW Montana, I would use antifreeze just for peace of mind. Look into something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Winterizer-Winterize-Preparation-65501/dp/B0000AXQU2

• Like 1

I chickened out, went to the parts store to get marine antifreeze and there was a boat mechanic there,  It was meant to be I took it to him.  He told me he will get it up to temp using water and make sure that the thermostat is open and then pipe in 5 gallons antifreeze. Then he will pull all plugs and leave them out.  Pull spark plugs and spray in some seafoam or something, turn it over a few times reinstall spark plugs and she will be ready to hibernate.  

Troy. R    198
11 hours ago, Brian Henderson said:

I chickened out, went to the parts store to get marine antifreeze and there was a boat mechanic there,  It was meant to be I took it to him.  He told me he will get it up to temp using water and make sure that the thermostat is open and then pipe in 5 gallons antifreeze. Then he will pull all plugs and leave them out.  Pull spark plugs and spray in some seafoam or something, turn it over a few times reinstall spark plugs and she will be ready to hibernate.  

Cool. Better to be safe...

• Like 1