tzink

2003 Avalanche value?

tzink    0

Hello all, A friend of a friend has a 2003 avalanche that filled with about 12 inches of rainwater when it was docked. I am assuming the bilge pump was off? The water made it about 3/4 of the way up the motor. I have not looked at it or checked the oil etc. He did not drain it or try to start it till the insurance decided what to do. Come to find out they are going to write it off as a total loss. He is able to buy it back from them for cheap and is willing to sell it to me. I am a gear head and don"t mind a challange even if it needs a new long block or a rebuild. I am wondering what you all think a rough value on it might be. it has 440 hours roughly. Thanks 

Troy. R    198
On 8/2/2021 at 6:32 PM, tzink said:

Hello all, A friend of a friend has a 2003 avalanche that filled with about 12 inches of rainwater when it was docked. I am assuming the bilge pump was off? The water made it about 3/4 of the way up the motor. I have not looked at it or checked the oil etc. He did not drain it or try to start it till the insurance decided what to do. Come to find out they are going to write it off as a total loss. He is able to buy it back from them for cheap and is willing to sell it to me. I am a gear head and don"t mind a challange even if it needs a new long block or a rebuild. I am wondering what you all think a rough value on it might be. it has 440 hours roughly. Thanks 

That really depends. There are a number of factors to consider.

What is the extent of the damage? If you just have to change all the fluids and filters That's very cheap and easy. If you have extensive damage that could include engine, electrical, steering cable, etc. then obviously the value is considerably less.

What configuration is it; walkthrough transom or C4 wrap around seating? C4 is more valuable.

What conditions the boat in other than the water issue that caused the total loss?

I can say that I saw a few Avalanches in the 2003 model year range on Boattrader within the last 6 months or so listed in the $25k - $28k range. With the limited information I have on the boat and the situation, and if the boat is in good condition other than the water damage, I'd consider going as high as maybe $15k I guess. I'd wait an see what the insurance wants on the buy back and negotiate from there with your buddy.

Keep us posted.

tzink    0

Thanks for the response I’ll let you know. And it’s the walk through transom (which I liked)