srhoffman

Gas Spring Install on Hinged Seats

srhoffman    0

Because I like to have two hands when I'm lifting heavy things like anchors and wakeboards and...tow ropes :laughing: I've gone around the boat and upgraded/installed a series of gas springs/shocks to make my life easier. Here's a few pictures of the handy work.

For the main jump seat (aka the spotter seat) all I did was order a set of SPD-GSNI-5200-75...this increaed their hold capacity from approx 80 lbs (40lbs each) to 150lbs (75 each) and is simply a swap job. It doesn't make the seat any harder to open (or open any harder) and only takes a little more force to close but the best part is a soaking wet seat will NOT fall and whack you in the back of the head!

The next project I did was the front seat where I keep our Anchor. This was a pretty straight forward install but may be more difficult to put into words but I'll try.

The parts I used were from Overtons (only because they were local and I could get them same day) but essentially I bought a 40lb, 15"open gas spring along with 1 pack of 90 degree mounts, some stainless screws, nuts and bolts.

So to start I mounted the first 90deg bracket as low as I could on the front of the boat but had to drill a few rivets to get the gasket out of the way to work then predrilled and used stainless nuts and bolts with finishing washers so it looked good.

post-232-1249755178_thumb.jpg

For the 90 deg bracket that attaches to the seat back I had to make sure it was mounted so that when the seat was closed it would be 9.5" from the center of the bottom bracket (the length of the spring compressed) and used stainless self tapping screws. (I didn't pre-drill because of the carpet and my luck drilling through carpet (hint: use some masking tape on the carpet so you can make pencil marks on it to know where to drill)) and it getting all tangled in the drill bit. Be sure to mount it in enough to that it won't hit anything when you close it (or in my case when you mount it backwards and can't figure out why the hell all your measurements were exact yet it's still hitting when closed...which brings me to another hint...save the beer for celbration as opposed to refreshment while working lest ye get too "refreshed")

post-232-1249755821_thumb.jpg

Attach the spring and viola no more holding the seat up while you get/stow your anchor!

post-232-1249755983_thumb.jpg

You'll have to trim the gasket a little with tin snips or something because it's got a metal core and wire cutters just won't hack it.

It's the exact same process for the seat behind the driver, but I re-used one of the replaced shocks from the observers seat so I only needed brackets and screws. The only caveat on this install as you can see is I couldn't figure a way to mount the 90 deg bracket because of the cushions in the way so I drilled some holes in the side and mounted it upside down but it looks just as factory and works! On my boat there was pleanty of fiberglass meat to screw into and since most of the force is downward (when open) and shear (when closed) there won't be much "pulling" on the screws.

Here's the pics

post-232-1249756302_thumb.jpgpost-232-1249756314_thumb.jpgpost-232-1249756344_thumb.jpg

post-232-1249756365_thumb.jpgpost-232-1249756439_thumb.jpg

Enjoy...as soon as 18 month old wakes up...hitting the water!

Joe B    17

Definitely good stuff. The anchor locker sucks without it. Good winter project.

WakeDoc    471

Great post,I am for sure adding a shock to the bow cushion, mine is a little different, I will add to the thread when done.

The jump seat is for sure getting a shock this winter! I thought about putting a hard spring install up there, but I like the gas shock better!

srhoffman    0

Click the link to SPD I posted above. When the site opens you'll be taken to the "Gas Springs" page below the description of a gas spring (you'll have to scroll down) is a table of everything in that category...you can get any size and strength you can dream up...the column to the far right will have an "order" link in it where you can order but if you're less then $30 you'll have to keep adding as they have a minimum order (but two shocks like the 5200's I have will total $30).

Steve