Sign in to follow this  
SpatialAnalyst

2002 Hurricane Steering Cable

So, I've never taken my boat to the dealer but I might to change the steering cable. I was talking to the dealer today and they said, "It's only a 2 hour job, we just have to be careful not to rip any wiring harnesses wile pulling the cable out of the gunnel" UMMMMM......I said it's actually under the floor....then all I heard was crickets chirping. He said he'll need to talk to the tech on Monday and call me back. Has anyone changed the cable in and under-deck cable run before? I did some research and read that the best method is to tie a rope to the rudder end of the old cable and pulling the new cable back through.

bcollins    18

If your boat is like mine you can remove the center floor section under the snap in carpet. If you do this you'll have direct access to about 75%, if not more, of the cable between the center floor section, under the engine, and up and around the steering wheel. I can't imagine it would be to difficult since you have access to nearly the entire cable but I've never actually done the replacement myself. I did undo the cable from the rudder to check if it swung freely and that was a piece of cake other than getting to it. I'm probably going to try it this winter since the steering is getting stiff. Seems to be fairly straightforward and something I could actually pull off. Just put it in the way it came out right, nothing to it. I've heard the same thing about tying a rope to the end of the cable...makes sense so I would do that even if it doesn't seem necessary given the access to the cable.

Unfortunately the floor cannot be removed. The only access under the deck are the two round access points to the fuel tank and ballast.