Sign in to follow this  

woodman4    1

Been having some intermittent issues with my boat starting. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes it takes a few try’s to get it to work. I always get the 2 beeps when I turn the key on, but sometimes the starter won’t engage. I thought it was the neutral safety switch, so I took both wires going to the switch and put them both on the same post, but that didn’t seem to fix it. Is there anything else anyone has done to fix this issue? Maybe something with the ignition?

Mitch925    0

Could be the starting actuator on the starter it’s self. Try starting the boat while someone taps on the starter

Edited by Mitch925

rhino89523    34

You have three things going on.

Sounds like neutral switch you have out of the equation.

So now you are pretty much down to the starter solenoid or the switch both can be tested with a test light.

From under the dash your switch has three or 4 poles, you just need to find the one that usually only has one wire to it and make sure when you turn the key that pole lights. Same on the solenoid look for the small wire that is connected to it...whatever end isn't lighting up that's the problem.

woodman4    1

Got it, thanks for the info. I’ll have to go get me a test light tomorrow and try to figure this out. Where should I look to find the starter solenoid? Never had to deal with one of those before

rhino89523    34

I'm not Mr Centurion so don't totally know your motor, if it's a Chevy the solenoid is on the starter, it's the smaller round thing that all the wires go to and you are looking for one of the smaller wire posts that sit on solenoid. If it's a Ford motor the solenoid stands alone. Either way look for your starter. If the starter has one big battery terminal size wire to it...chase that back to where the wire connects, thats the solenoid, if it has more than one wire your staring at the solenoid.  

woodman4    1
3 hours ago, rhino89523 said:

I'm not Mr Centurion so don't totally know your motor, if it's a Chevy the solenoid is on the starter, it's the smaller round thing that all the wires go to and you are looking for one of the smaller wire posts that sit on solenoid. If it's a Ford motor the solenoid stands alone. Either way look for your starter. If the starter has one big battery terminal size wire to it...chase that back to where the wire connects, thats the solenoid, if it has more than one wire your staring at the solenoid.  

Got it, thanks. I’ll check it out as soon as I can.