Sign in to follow this  
steve

New Centurion owner soon, Questions

steve    0

Hi Everyone,

After longing for a Centurion for yrs. We are thinking about buying a used 2003 Typhoon i believe.

We have owned Sterndrives previously, 2 20' Bayliners and still have a 17' Starcraft C-Star. Never sailed a inboard before.

What are the low speed/high speed characteristics? Quirky traits? Docking differneces if any?

Joe B    17

For an older Typhoon which is just a foot longer Avalanche it might have the 350 mercruiser which means you'll need to have the right prop on the boat to get the best of it. Call ACME propellers for their recommendation.

Difference than a I/O: rip a skiers arms off if you like (better holeshot), less bow rise, not as fast top end--yours will be about 40mph with a tailwind. Has tracking fins in the center so it turns a lot better. skiers and boarders can't pull the back of the boat out as bad as an I/O. Docking is different as there's little to no reverse steering. You'll learn and it's not bad. When backing up, the rear of the boat will rotate toward the drivers side. Go into a dock at a 10 degree angle, hit reverse and the back tightens right up to the dock. Takes practice but easy when used to it.

It might have perfectpass which is cruise control. Set your speed, and after takeoff let go and it will finish getting to the set speed. Great if your wife doesn't drive so well. :thumbsup:

islander033    2
Hi Everyone,

After longing for a Centurion for yrs. We are thinking about buying a used 2003 Typhoon i believe.

We have owned Sterndrives previously, 2 20' Bayliners and still have a 17' Starcraft C-Star. Never sailed a inboard before.

What are the low speed/high speed characteristics? Quirky traits? Docking differneces if any?

The biggest difference is that it will only back up in 1 direction due to the prop rotation. LH rotating props go to the starboard side and port for the RH rotating props.

elc    2

Second everything Joeb said. These traits are for any inboard, not just the typhoon.

I just bought a new prop. I ran a couple years with one that wasn't a great match... I should have called acme a while ago and purchased the correct prop.