lakerat

Fins Really Do Make A Difference

rhino89523    34

I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 250 when I'm skinny and I'm fat right now at about 275. At first I was blaming the wave and the board until I figured it out. This is my first year with an Inboard, before that I had an IO boat I would surf but back a ways with the rope. I'd do little airs out of the wake landing back in, and flat slide 360's and 180's and stuff....the ropeless thing took a minute for me to figure out. Now I can ride as long as I want and carve it up pretty good, it's when I get greedy I fall out the back. I can carve up to the top of the lip and throw like a little butter slide and recover from it but I can't get it around without hooking a skeg. and the board just doesn't have a loose feel. One of the boards I used to ride with the rope was a 4'6"  ( if memory serves) Hyperlite Broadcast, I like the board with a rope but it's a little too small for me to stay ropeless for any amount of time. I think I have made it maybe 30 seconds on that board without a rope and it's a pumping workout that I just can't maintain.....maybe I should and I could get back to 250ish  haha.  Anyway I like the size of the skegs on that board and I think I prefer something with that more egg skimboard looking loose shape for behind the boat. This Red Rocket is like a flat surfboard with a pronounced tip. The tail is huge and has zero bite. I'm tempted to take one of my old Clark foam long boards and whack it into the shape I think I want with maybe have just one mini center skeg.....I want it to spin almost effortlessly.

MFaso    56
3 hours ago, rhino89523 said:

I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 250 when I'm skinny and I'm fat right now at about 275. At first I was blaming the wave and the board until I figured it out. This is my first year with an Inboard, before that I had an IO boat I would surf but back a ways with the rope. I'd do little airs out of the wake landing back in, and flat slide 360's and 180's and stuff....the ropeless thing took a minute for me to figure out. Now I can ride as long as I want and carve it up pretty good, it's when I get greedy I fall out the back. I can carve up to the top of the lip and throw like a little butter slide and recover from it but I can't get it around without hooking a skeg. and the board just doesn't have a loose feel. One of the boards I used to ride with the rope was a 4'6"  ( if memory serves) Hyperlite Broadcast, I like the board with a rope but it's a little too small for me to stay ropeless for any amount of time. I think I have made it maybe 30 seconds on that board without a rope and it's a pumping workout that I just can't maintain.....maybe I should and I could get back to 250ish  haha.  Anyway I like the size of the skegs on that board and I think I prefer something with that more egg skimboard looking loose shape for behind the boat. This Red Rocket is like a flat surfboard with a pronounced tip. The tail is huge and has zero bite. I'm tempted to take one of my old Clark foam long boards and whack it into the shape I think I want with maybe have just one mini center skeg.....I want it to spin almost effortlessly.

Nice. We bring a 6'1 ocean board out just about every trip. I'm riding it once or twice a week. I'd say a 4'6 is way too small. I'm riding a 4'8 NEO at 210lbs. Took me a bit to figure out how to drop the rope too. I started with a full wetsuit back in April. It's my first season with a surf boat and an inboard too! I always had an I/O(The boats that actually turn in REVERSE! HA). I'm literally going through the same as you this year. The 4'6 I tried a few weeks ago was rated for 180lbs or so and it worked but it wasn't that enjoyable. I think you need a board in the 5'0-5'2 range. There are some other guys here who will have more info than me. I'm just going off my experience and reading here a $hit ton.

I was out tonight. It was just my wife and 2 little kids in the boat and I just surfed until I was out of breath. Just rained so the water was glass and no one was out but me and a pontoon.

I checked the fins. They are WTC Futures. Pretty sure it's these. They said WCT on them. No F4/F3 - https://www.amazon.com/Futures-WCT-Honeycomb-Medium/dp/B0716FKKKY/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1505436972&sr=1-4&keywords=WCT+futures