lakerat

Fins Really Do Make A Difference

lakerat    70

I bought a used Doomswell Neo a couple of weeks ago and though I liked it, I was ready to move on to something else.  I decided to order a set of Chaos Quad fins and try them on the Neo.  What a difference; the board seems quicker and more stable at the same time and just felt better all around.  My first set of upgraded fins and they were well worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

InfinitySurf    302

That is great info...been looking at a couple fin sets for the Neo myself but not pulled the trigger cause I didn't know how it would effect the board. Do you mind sharing exactly what you bought?

lakerat    70
24 minutes ago, InfinitySurf said:

That is great info...been looking at a couple fin sets for the Neo myself but not pulled the trigger cause I didn't know how it would effect the board. Do you mind sharing exactly what you bought?

I bought the quad set of these http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurffins/chaoswakesurffin

Mine are orange, as that is all that was left in stock.

Cwazy1    89

Of course they make a huge difference! If they didn't Futures and FCE wouldn't have hundreds of models available. 

Chaos fins are very similar in shape to WCT rastas for their primary twin set. A low rake, flat foil, 4.5" fin. 

Now you should go try a foiled fin and tell us what you think. 

MFaso    56

Awesome to hear. Just bought a set from @stoked for my NEO. I don't have another surf style board to compare my NEO to and wasn't ready for a custom board so Fins were the way to go. Package comes today and I'm going out tomorrow right after work! In my mind, I can't see how fins make a difference but I can't wait to try it.

Did you use all 4? I didn't like the quad setup the NEO came with so I pulled the back two fins(little) off after maybe 3 trips to the lake. It was too locked in for me. It was hurting my ability to learn and then navigate the wave. Sometimes when I was about to lose the wave, I felt like I needed to be able to put the board back quick and those little fins took away that mobility.

lakerat    70
49 minutes ago, MFaso said:

Awesome to hear. Just bought a set from @stoked for my NEO. I don't have another surf style board to compare my NEO to and wasn't ready for a custom board so Fins were the way to go. Package comes today and I'm going out tomorrow right after work! In my mind, I can't see how fins make a difference but I can't wait to try it.

Did you use all 4? I didn't like the quad setup the NEO came with so I pulled the back two fins(little) off after maybe 3 trips to the lake. It was too locked in for me. It was hurting my ability to learn and then navigate the wave. Sometimes when I was about to lose the wave, I felt like I needed to be able to put the board back quick and those little fins took away that mobility.

Yes, I'm running all 4 fins.  I haven't tried it without the nubsters.  I'm coming from mainly riding skim, other than my Soulcraft Slider (a different beast altogether), so I'm used to loose. :-) but I'm happy with the quad setup.  I'll try it without the nubs and let you know. 

12 hours ago, Cwazy1 said:

Now you should go try a foiled fin and tell us what you think. 

Recommendations?

stoked    1,039
2 hours ago, MFaso said:

So what I sold you was only a two fin setup. If you go with 4 you'll need to get 2 more. But at least you're halfway there!

MFaso    56

I know. I'm not interested in running 4. If I do, I'd just use the 2 that came with it. I'd only do that for a newbie and I've actually had a few people try with just the 2. They don't make it far(If they even get up!) anyway so 2 fins wouldn't have helped...lol

Wife said the package came today so I'm itching to go home and check it all out!

rhino89523    34

I have an Inland Surfer and they have a different fin box, replacements they are really proud of. I am thinking of fileing down a set, they are so big and even moving them around is not enough to loosen it up. I tried riding it without fins and the tail is such a massive squash style you cant dig it in enough and maybe the rails as well that it wont hold the edge and just slides...its plenty loose like that but near impossible to ride...at least for me. I want a more skim style board so I can slide around but I'm built like an Offensive Lineman and need enough board to keep drive.

MFaso    56

I went out last night and tried the new fins on my doomswell NEO. I can't say I understand the science behind it yet but the difference was huge. My wife was watching and my buddy was driving and they said I was really moving around the wave much easier. They also noticed(I did too) that I was throwing a ton of water over the lip that they haven't seen before. I was able to cut back much harder and rip it off the top.

Still no AIR but I was focused on the 360 last night. I don't know if it was the fins but I wasn't getting thrown off the board when trying to spin. I was making it all the way around and then just not riding away!

Cwazy1    89
2 hours ago, lakerat said:

Thanks!  I'll give them a try but at this point it may be next season.

No rush, f4v2 foiled fins are super different and its really a love hate relationship with them. I hate them, some of my regular riding crew loves them. I can see the attraction. 

2 hours ago, rhino89523 said:

I have an Inland Surfer and they have a different fin box, replacements they are really proud of. I am thinking of fileing down a set, they are so big and even moving them around is not enough to loosen it up. I tried riding it without fins and the tail is such a massive squash style you cant dig it in enough and maybe the rails as well that it wont hold the edge and just slides...its plenty loose like that but near impossible to ride...at least for me. I want a more skim style board so I can slide around but I'm built like an Offensive Lineman and need enough board to keep drive.

IS fins are a joke and they're super expensive as well. They know nothing about the latest fin technology. 

Feel free to sand/grind down your fins. But make sure you do it slow and make sure both fins are the same. I've done this with plenty of my 'spare' plastic fins and it works well IF you know what shape you're going after. If you're going in blind without knowledge of how fins behave with respect to their shape, you're only going to waste time and fins. I recommend you do a fair bit of reading on how rake measurement as well as foil and also thickness will impact the ride feel. Then draw out a shape you want, then start cutting. 

10 minutes ago, MFaso said:

I went out last night and tried the new fins on my doomswell NEO. I can't say I understand the science behind it yet but the difference was huge. My wife was watching and my buddy was driving and they said I was really moving around the wave much easier. They also noticed(I did too) that I was throwing a ton of water over the lip that they haven't seen before. I was able to cut back much harder and rip it off the top.

Still no AIR but I was focused on the 360 last night. I don't know if it was the fins but I wasn't getting thrown off the board when trying to spin. I was making it all the way around and then just not riding away!

Any glass/comp/carbon fin is going to be much stiffer than your stock fin. Stiffness gives more precision and is faster to react to your movement on the board. Think of it as less lag. Plastic fins, or any fin with a low ride number is going to be more springy, react slower, but is going to be a bit better at speed generation. 

rhino89523    34

I've been surfing since I was about 10 and really know what I like in an ocean board, behind the boat is so different, a great wave behind a boat has zero push comparatively. The IS fin is very surfboard shaped and while I would probably be OK with it in the ocean on a tri-fin with a pin tail and stiff rails, behind the boat this thing allows zero fun....it takes so much force to break loose...unless I feel like standing there drinking beer this board is not working. I'm new to this behind the boat thing and the Red Rocket go me going but because I'm human my greed for more has taken over and I want to spin around and slide around and currently this is not cutting.

InfinitySurf    302

@MFaso The Doomswell Neo comes with the F3 Futures (least mine did).....you switched to F4 and it made that big a difference?

Cdifranco    463

I run the AM1 Blackstix fins in my NEO and love them. 

Cwazy1    89
7 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

@MFaso The Doomswell Neo comes with the F3 Futures (least mine did).....you switched to F4 and it made that big a difference?

He switched to WCT rastas. 

MFaso    56

I switched to something. I don't even know what..haha BUT, yes, I didn't expect to REALLY notice but I did. I've been getting out at least 3-4 times per week all summer. I work from home 2 days a week so I head out work nights too. It just felt like I had more control. I don't even know how to explain it.

My speed was the same. I constantly need to hit the brakes or hit the boat. My back leg/quad starts to burn long before my front. When I first dropped the rope consistently(end of May?) my front leg was always burning but now it's my back leg so the FINS didn't change that. (Or I didn't notice the speed difference)

Might rain tonight but if not I'll have my wife take some video so I can really see if I see a difference in watching myself. I know I never sprayed that much water off the top so I doubt I was cutting back as hard. I don't know if they are angled differently or what. I bought them from Stoked and he gave me a great deal since he wasn't using them anymore.

MFaso    56
23 hours ago, rhino89523 said:

I've been surfing since I was about 10 and really know what I like in an ocean board, behind the boat is so different, a great wave behind a boat has zero push comparatively. The IS fin is very surfboard shaped and while I would probably be OK with it in the ocean on a tri-fin with a pin tail and stiff rails, behind the boat this thing allows zero fun....it takes so much force to break loose...unless I feel like standing there drinking beer this board is not working. I'm new to this behind the boat thing and the Red Rocket go me going but because I'm human my greed for more has taken over and I want to spin around and slide around and currently this is not cutting.

I've been ocean surfing since I was around 7th grade. We have a summer house across the street from the beach(literally) so I spent a lot of time surfing.(Seaside Heights, right where they filmed the "Jersey Shore" show) It's no where near the same. I thought it was going to be close to the same but it's not. the only thing that is the same is that I came into this with the board sport skill so I wasn't just holding the rope like a statue. First time out I was able to rip in and out of the wave(while holding the rope).

I don't know if I would blame the fins or board on the "push". It's either the wave or where your weight and foot placement are. @Cwazy1 helped me a lot when I started. He can tell you how I was blaming the wave, board and boat for awhile. It was none of those things. I'd send him video and he would laugh and know it was me. lol

What's your weight Rhino? I'm 5'7 210 or so. I was able to ride a hammerhead ropeless and it's for up to 180lbs I think. Push was fine and I was ropeless no problem.

Edited by MFaso

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..