Jump to content
lakerat

Fins Really Do Make A Difference

Recommended Posts

lakerat    70

I bought a used Doomswell Neo a couple of weeks ago and though I liked it, I was ready to move on to something else.  I decided to order a set of Chaos Quad fins and try them on the Neo.  What a difference; the board seems quicker and more stable at the same time and just felt better all around.  My first set of upgraded fins and they were well worth it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
InfinitySurf    262

That is great info...been looking at a couple fin sets for the Neo myself but not pulled the trigger cause I didn't know how it would effect the board. Do you mind sharing exactly what you bought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lakerat    70
24 minutes ago, InfinitySurf said:

That is great info...been looking at a couple fin sets for the Neo myself but not pulled the trigger cause I didn't know how it would effect the board. Do you mind sharing exactly what you bought?

I bought the quad set of these http://chaossurfco.com/wakesurffins/chaoswakesurffin

Mine are orange, as that is all that was left in stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cwazy1    88

Of course they make a huge difference! If they didn't Futures and FCE wouldn't have hundreds of models available. 

Chaos fins are very similar in shape to WCT rastas for their primary twin set. A low rake, flat foil, 4.5" fin. 

Now you should go try a foiled fin and tell us what you think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MFaso    56

Awesome to hear. Just bought a set from @stoked for my NEO. I don't have another surf style board to compare my NEO to and wasn't ready for a custom board so Fins were the way to go. Package comes today and I'm going out tomorrow right after work! In my mind, I can't see how fins make a difference but I can't wait to try it.

Did you use all 4? I didn't like the quad setup the NEO came with so I pulled the back two fins(little) off after maybe 3 trips to the lake. It was too locked in for me. It was hurting my ability to learn and then navigate the wave. Sometimes when I was about to lose the wave, I felt like I needed to be able to put the board back quick and those little fins took away that mobility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lakerat    70
49 minutes ago, MFaso said:

Awesome to hear. Just bought a set from @stoked for my NEO. I don't have another surf style board to compare my NEO to and wasn't ready for a custom board so Fins were the way to go. Package comes today and I'm going out tomorrow right after work! In my mind, I can't see how fins make a difference but I can't wait to try it.

Did you use all 4? I didn't like the quad setup the NEO came with so I pulled the back two fins(little) off after maybe 3 trips to the lake. It was too locked in for me. It was hurting my ability to learn and then navigate the wave. Sometimes when I was about to lose the wave, I felt like I needed to be able to put the board back quick and those little fins took away that mobility.

Yes, I'm running all 4 fins.  I haven't tried it without the nubsters.  I'm coming from mainly riding skim, other than my Soulcraft Slider (a different beast altogether), so I'm used to loose. :-) but I'm happy with the quad setup.  I'll try it without the nubs and let you know. 

 

12 hours ago, Cwazy1 said:

 

Now you should go try a foiled fin and tell us what you think. 

Recommendations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stoked    1,042
2 hours ago, MFaso said:

Awesome to hear. Just bought a set from @stoked for my NEO. I don't have another surf style board to compare my NEO to and wasn't ready for a custom board so Fins were the way to go. Package comes today and I'm going out tomorrow right after work! In my mind, I can't see how fins make a difference but I can't wait to try it.

Did you use all 4? I didn't like the quad setup the NEO came with so I pulled the back two fins(little) off after maybe 3 trips to the lake. It was too locked in for me. It was hurting my ability to learn and then navigate the wave. Sometimes when I was about to lose the wave, I felt like I needed to be able to put the board back quick and those little fins took away that mobility.

So what I sold you was only a two fin setup. If you go with 4 you'll need to get 2 more. But at least you're halfway there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MFaso    56

I know. I'm not interested in running 4. If I do, I'd just use the 2 that came with it. I'd only do that for a newbie and I've actually had a few people try with just the 2. They don't make it far(If they even get up!) anyway so 2 fins wouldn't have helped...lol

Wife said the package came today so I'm itching to go home and check it all out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rhino89523    28

I have an Inland Surfer and they have a different fin box, replacements they are really proud of. I am thinking of fileing down a set, they are so big and even moving them around is not enough to loosen it up. I tried riding it without fins and the tail is such a massive squash style you cant dig it in enough and maybe the rails as well that it wont hold the edge and just slides...its plenty loose like that but near impossible to ride...at least for me. I want a more skim style board so I can slide around but I'm built like an Offensive Lineman and need enough board to keep drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MFaso    56

I went out last night and tried the new fins on my doomswell NEO. I can't say I understand the science behind it yet but the difference was huge. My wife was watching and my buddy was driving and they said I was really moving around the wave much easier. They also noticed(I did too) that I was throwing a ton of water over the lip that they haven't seen before. I was able to cut back much harder and rip it off the top.

Still no AIR but I was focused on the 360 last night. I don't know if it was the fins but I wasn't getting thrown off the board when trying to spin. I was making it all the way around and then just not riding away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cwazy1    88
2 hours ago, lakerat said:

Thanks!  I'll give them a try but at this point it may be next season.

No rush, f4v2 foiled fins are super different and its really a love hate relationship with them. I hate them, some of my regular riding crew loves them. I can see the attraction. 

 

2 hours ago, rhino89523 said:

I have an Inland Surfer and they have a different fin box, replacements they are really proud of. I am thinking of fileing down a set, they are so big and even moving them around is not enough to loosen it up. I tried riding it without fins and the tail is such a massive squash style you cant dig it in enough and maybe the rails as well that it wont hold the edge and just slides...its plenty loose like that but near impossible to ride...at least for me. I want a more skim style board so I can slide around but I'm built like an Offensive Lineman and need enough board to keep drive.

IS fins are a joke and they're super expensive as well. They know nothing about the latest fin technology. 

Feel free to sand/grind down your fins. But make sure you do it slow and make sure both fins are the same. I've done this with plenty of my 'spare' plastic fins and it works well IF you know what shape you're going after. If you're going in blind without knowledge of how fins behave with respect to their shape, you're only going to waste time and fins. I recommend you do a fair bit of reading on how rake measurement as well as foil and also thickness will impact the ride feel. Then draw out a shape you want, then start cutting. 

10 minutes ago, MFaso said:

I went out last night and tried the new fins on my doomswell NEO. I can't say I understand the science behind it yet but the difference was huge. My wife was watching and my buddy was driving and they said I was really moving around the wave much easier. They also noticed(I did too) that I was throwing a ton of water over the lip that they haven't seen before. I was able to cut back much harder and rip it off the top.

Still no AIR but I was focused on the 360 last night. I don't know if it was the fins but I wasn't getting thrown off the board when trying to spin. I was making it all the way around and then just not riding away!

Any glass/comp/carbon fin is going to be much stiffer than your stock fin. Stiffness gives more precision and is faster to react to your movement on the board. Think of it as less lag. Plastic fins, or any fin with a low ride number is going to be more springy, react slower, but is going to be a bit better at speed generation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rhino89523    28

I've been surfing since I was about 10 and really know what I like in an ocean board, behind the boat is so different, a great wave behind a boat has zero push comparatively. The IS fin is very surfboard shaped and while I would probably be OK with it in the ocean on a tri-fin with a pin tail and stiff rails, behind the boat this thing allows zero fun....it takes so much force to break loose...unless I feel like standing there drinking beer this board is not working. I'm new to this behind the boat thing and the Red Rocket go me going but because I'm human my greed for more has taken over and I want to spin around and slide around and currently this is not cutting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
InfinitySurf    262

@MFaso The Doomswell Neo comes with the F3 Futures (least mine did).....you switched to F4 and it made that big a difference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cdifranco    457

I run the AM1 Blackstix fins in my NEO and love them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cwazy1    88
7 hours ago, InfinitySurf said:

@MFaso The Doomswell Neo comes with the F3 Futures (least mine did).....you switched to F4 and it made that big a difference?

He switched to WCT rastas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MFaso    56

I switched to something. I don't even know what..haha BUT, yes, I didn't expect to REALLY notice but I did. I've been getting out at least 3-4 times per week all summer. I work from home 2 days a week so I head out work nights too. It just felt like I had more control. I don't even know how to explain it.

My speed was the same. I constantly need to hit the brakes or hit the boat. My back leg/quad starts to burn long before my front. When I first dropped the rope consistently(end of May?) my front leg was always burning but now it's my back leg so the FINS didn't change that. (Or I didn't notice the speed difference)

Might rain tonight but if not I'll have my wife take some video so I can really see if I see a difference in watching myself. I know I never sprayed that much water off the top so I doubt I was cutting back as hard. I don't know if they are angled differently or what. I bought them from Stoked and he gave me a great deal since he wasn't using them anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MFaso    56
23 hours ago, rhino89523 said:

I've been surfing since I was about 10 and really know what I like in an ocean board, behind the boat is so different, a great wave behind a boat has zero push comparatively. The IS fin is very surfboard shaped and while I would probably be OK with it in the ocean on a tri-fin with a pin tail and stiff rails, behind the boat this thing allows zero fun....it takes so much force to break loose...unless I feel like standing there drinking beer this board is not working. I'm new to this behind the boat thing and the Red Rocket go me going but because I'm human my greed for more has taken over and I want to spin around and slide around and currently this is not cutting.

I've been ocean surfing since I was around 7th grade. We have a summer house across the street from the beach(literally) so I spent a lot of time surfing.(Seaside Heights, right where they filmed the "Jersey Shore" show) It's no where near the same. I thought it was going to be close to the same but it's not. the only thing that is the same is that I came into this with the board sport skill so I wasn't just holding the rope like a statue. First time out I was able to rip in and out of the wave(while holding the rope).

I don't know if I would blame the fins or board on the "push". It's either the wave or where your weight and foot placement are. @Cwazy1 helped me a lot when I started. He can tell you how I was blaming the wave, board and boat for awhile. It was none of those things. I'd send him video and he would laugh and know it was me. lol

What's your weight Rhino? I'm 5'7 210 or so. I was able to ride a hammerhead ropeless and it's for up to 180lbs I think. Push was fine and I was ropeless no problem.

Edited by MFaso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rhino89523    28

I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 250 when I'm skinny and I'm fat right now at about 275. At first I was blaming the wave and the board until I figured it out. This is my first year with an Inboard, before that I had an IO boat I would surf but back a ways with the rope. I'd do little airs out of the wake landing back in, and flat slide 360's and 180's and stuff....the ropeless thing took a minute for me to figure out. Now I can ride as long as I want and carve it up pretty good, it's when I get greedy I fall out the back. I can carve up to the top of the lip and throw like a little butter slide and recover from it but I can't get it around without hooking a skeg. and the board just doesn't have a loose feel. One of the boards I used to ride with the rope was a 4'6"  ( if memory serves) Hyperlite Broadcast, I like the board with a rope but it's a little too small for me to stay ropeless for any amount of time. I think I have made it maybe 30 seconds on that board without a rope and it's a pumping workout that I just can't maintain.....maybe I should and I could get back to 250ish  haha.  Anyway I like the size of the skegs on that board and I think I prefer something with that more egg skimboard looking loose shape for behind the boat. This Red Rocket is like a flat surfboard with a pronounced tip. The tail is huge and has zero bite. I'm tempted to take one of my old Clark foam long boards and whack it into the shape I think I want with maybe have just one mini center skeg.....I want it to spin almost effortlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MFaso    56
3 hours ago, rhino89523 said:

I'm 6'4" tall and weigh 250 when I'm skinny and I'm fat right now at about 275. At first I was blaming the wave and the board until I figured it out. This is my first year with an Inboard, before that I had an IO boat I would surf but back a ways with the rope. I'd do little airs out of the wake landing back in, and flat slide 360's and 180's and stuff....the ropeless thing took a minute for me to figure out. Now I can ride as long as I want and carve it up pretty good, it's when I get greedy I fall out the back. I can carve up to the top of the lip and throw like a little butter slide and recover from it but I can't get it around without hooking a skeg. and the board just doesn't have a loose feel. One of the boards I used to ride with the rope was a 4'6"  ( if memory serves) Hyperlite Broadcast, I like the board with a rope but it's a little too small for me to stay ropeless for any amount of time. I think I have made it maybe 30 seconds on that board without a rope and it's a pumping workout that I just can't maintain.....maybe I should and I could get back to 250ish  haha.  Anyway I like the size of the skegs on that board and I think I prefer something with that more egg skimboard looking loose shape for behind the boat. This Red Rocket is like a flat surfboard with a pronounced tip. The tail is huge and has zero bite. I'm tempted to take one of my old Clark foam long boards and whack it into the shape I think I want with maybe have just one mini center skeg.....I want it to spin almost effortlessly.

Nice. We bring a 6'1 ocean board out just about every trip. I'm riding it once or twice a week. I'd say a 4'6 is way too small. I'm riding a 4'8 NEO at 210lbs. Took me a bit to figure out how to drop the rope too. I started with a full wetsuit back in April. It's my first season with a surf boat and an inboard too! I always had an I/O(The boats that actually turn in REVERSE! HA). I'm literally going through the same as you this year. The 4'6 I tried a few weeks ago was rated for 180lbs or so and it worked but it wasn't that enjoyable. I think you need a board in the 5'0-5'2 range. There are some other guys here who will have more info than me. I'm just going off my experience and reading here a $hit ton.

I was out tonight. It was just my wife and 2 little kids in the boat and I just surfed until I was out of breath. Just rained so the water was glass and no one was out but me and a pontoon.

I checked the fins. They are WTC Futures. Pretty sure it's these. They said WCT on them. No F4/F3 - https://www.amazon.com/Futures-WCT-Honeycomb-Medium/dp/B0716FKKKY/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1505436972&sr=1-4&keywords=WCT+futures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.