MFaso

Let's talk wakesurf boards...

Cdifranco    463

Thanks Chris. I actually saw DOOM just removed the USA from facebook. I'm still good with it. As a newbie I checked out a TON of prices and boards and reviews on boards. I took everything from this post and googled the $hit out of it comparing everything.

Not that the other guys (Jeff and nick I think it was) probably aren't just as cool to their customers, or potential customers but I didn't feel like they made something I should be looking at as a "first board". I didn't speak to them. I did speak to Brock and he had no real idea I would even buy a doom. He was throwing me advice and helping me out as a "new guy" who has a new surf boat.

I've made the mistake of buying a wakeskate that wasn't right for me at all and I couldn't ride it. The guy who sold it to me knew I drove an hour(each way) to check boards out with my wife and kids and he still didn't guide me correctly. That store went out of business shortly after...(Strange coincidence? naaaa)

I'm gonna stick with the P5 model X to learn on and end up using as the board people try when they come out with me.(we have various friends and family out all summer) I'm also buying the Neo 4'8 as the board I will hopefully get a few summers out of. That one is just for me and my buddy who I grew up surfing and snowboarding with.

I appreciate all the help here. I hope I can return the favor to you guys and some other newbies once I get a little more seasoned.

It's a blizzard here right now by the way. It can't get warm early this season, huh? :/

Happy I could help if I did. As far as Jeff and Soulcraft, I cannot say his boards are bad. In fact they rock and that's fact. I have said this multiple times on here when I bought a custom it was him or Doomswell and I honest just flipped a quarter. Ill probably pick up a Soulcraft for this summer as Stoked and Darksider have told me about them off the forum and I trust their opinions. My point was just they were not a price that you are looking to spend based on reading 4 pages. A chaos board will never be on my list. Blizzard here too man, lakes almost thawed out and I am itching to surf!

h20king    794

Happy I could help if I did. As far as Jeff and Soulcraft, I cannot say his boards are bad. In fact they rock and that's fact. I have said this multiple times on here when I bought a custom it was him or Doomswell and I honest just flipped a quarter. Ill probably pick up a Soulcraft for this summer as Stoked and Darksider have told me about them off the forum and I trust their opinions. My point was just they were not a price that you are looking to spend based on reading 4 pages. A chaos board will never be on my list. Blizzard here too man, lakes almost thawed out and I am itching to surf!

was not saying they are bad boards and until I read the thread on WW thought they were made in the USA.

InfinitySurf    302

I have seen Nick from Chaos on every forum trash talking the other manufactures of boards. I have $1000 to drop on custom board if I wanted, but why would I when I can get a Doomswell Neo a lot cheaper and its a badass board thats good enough for anyone except maybe a pro with a specific style. The reason people go into business for themselves is to grow and make money, its the American way. Whether its built here or overseas like Nick claims, its still the best price you can get on something that nice, period ....especially if you buy a blemish off Doomswell site for $400, OR the best 2017 new prices I found were on Nauticurl.com @ $600 brand new. I actually just got another new Doomswell this week from that website and its perfect in every way by looking at it.

I also bought a "Nauticurl" surf gate from them recently and it works really well. Solid piece made out of aircraft aluminum and like $200. Doesn't matter what kind of system the boat has, the gate seems to firm wave up a bit and makes it a little bigger cause you can slam the boat full of ballast and not have to list it at all. I have an SV244 with a crazy amount of ballast so i get a great wave no matter what, but who doesn't want better? Isn't that why some people drop $100k every year...for the newest and the best and to maybe get that extra couple inches of a higher wave with the new "surf system"? Plus you can switch sides in under 60 seconds by just moving the gate to other side. Ghetto to have a "gate" that sticks to side of $100k boat? Maybe, but it works, so who cares. I got the boat so I would have a killer wave and don't really care how I get it. Sorry, got a little off track there from the surf boards, lol. Must be time for bed.

• Like 1

h20king    794

The reason some people spend that sort of cash for a custom board is to get a board that is sized and shaped to their height,weight,and riding style. A custom board will be lighter,faster down the line and release better from the top of the wake than any mass produced one size and shape fits all board. As for the ghetto gate I understand some people are not comfortable driving a listed boat so the gate might be the answer. Lots of folks on this sight that have been on this forum for many years and have owned multiple enzos. These guys have spent countless hours getting their waves dialed. I suggest you try there set up and compare it to the evenly weighted ghetto gate set up. Believe it or not sometimes there is such a thing a diminished returns where less is more. Either way getting your boat dialed in is half the fun.

• Like 1

InfinitySurf    302

Since you have tons more experience than I do, I am sure you are right. I was generalizing on the board for fairly new to intermediate people like me who are not better than a semi-custom board like Doomswell. Re-reading that post I made, I came across kindof strong, like I knew everything about it and that is not true. Is just the best I was able to get. Have no issue driving listed...just figured the more ballast I could run = bigger wave...and at least for me, that was true. I will keep dialing the wave running both waves tho and hopefully it will keep getting better and better. Appreciate people like you on the forum with tons of experience sharing your knowledge, so that "noobs" like me can learn faster without wasting time with "fails".

h20king    794

All that matters is that you are having fun with your boat family and friends that's what it's all about. The best board or setup for one guy is not always best for the next. All of us have had fails along the way but like I said figuring out what works best for you is half the fun. Enjoy the new boat and boards