craig3x    3

My boat is a 2002 hurricane. It died on lake yesterday. It cranks, but won't fire up. It will however fire up if you spray starting fluid in the throttle body which tells me the boat isn't getting fuel. I located the high pressure pump in the cool fuel black box and it does turn on when the key is turned. Does that mean the pump is fine? My local shop said there might be a low pressure pump that supplies fuel to that high pressure pump, and it could be bad. Does anyone know if there are in fact 2 fuel pumps on a 2002 centurion v drive? If so, where is the low pressure pump located. (pics are great!) Thanks in advance

I have not been inside the cool fuel device. My electric fuel pump, the only one I've seen, is on the port side down low near the rear. It is an inline pump with 2 wires going in. I'm guessing this is the "lift pump" or low pressure pump.

My boat is a 2008 sv230 with merc black scorpion. This pump is cylindrical and looks very similar to a large inline fuel filter. My inline fuel filter is on the same side near the transmission. If you have the same engine look for your raw water pump on the front of the engine, back of the boat, and the low pressure pump will be right next to it.

I know this is not the way mechanically to trouble shoot your problem, a fuel pressure reading from the injector rail is what you need to do it right. I have tested fuel systems by feeding fuel directly into the fuel pump with a funnel and hose. Bypass everything before the high pressure pump. Give it some fuel there and if it fires you know you have an issue getting fuel to it. You've probably already thought of that just don't blow yourself up!

Edited by Tommywalton1974

craig3x    3

Thanks for the reply, Tommy. But we don't have the same engine. I have the MPI MAG 350.

I did hook up a fuel pressure tester to the rail. Turned the key on and off a bunch of times. Heard the pump kick on, but it didn't make any pressure. And what's weird is when I turned the key on and the pump started, it shut off after about 4 seconds. I thought they only shut off once the correct pressure is reached? Also, I couldn't find anything around that looked like a secondary low pressure pump.

Mine runs for about 4 seconds also. I've never heard it run longer. I think in a boat that's about all you get. Maybe something to do with the Ecm priming and not flooding the engine compartment with fuel in case you have a leak?

I looked up compatibility for the low pressure pump for my boat, and it does say it's used on the 350 mpi for your year also. Same exact pump.

Question, have you removed the carpet and removed the floor panel? Gives you access to the fuel tank and filler hose, and fuel lines.

craig3x    3

I called Mercury marine and they said I'm supposed to have a boost pump which is located above the fuel/water separator, but I do not have one. Or at least it isn't located where the service manual says it is. (They sent me a picture of its location) I guess I will have to pull back the carpet and trace the fuel line under the floor and hope I find it. If not, then I have no idea what to do.

craig3x    3

found a service bulletin from Mercury that said they added the boost pump starting the year that my boat was made, but that some boats left the factory without it installed. Unfortunately that bulletin has expired and if I want the boost pump, I have to fork out the $750 for the kit. But this boost pump was only to help with vapor locking, so this has nothing to do with my problem.

Did you figure it out?

craig3x    3

Did you figure it out?

I ordered a new fuel pump and cooler ($350) and will be putting it in this weekend. will let you know

craig3x    3

got the fuel pump in and it runs great now. So that was the problem all along. It was an annoying job, but nothing the average handyman can't handle.

Awesome! So it was the cool fuel unit with pump?