Sign in to follow this  
Bullfrog

Thoughts on 'Switchblade'

adambomb2000    35

Looks good Bullfrog. Mine is on but haven't installed the switch yet (I just set it all the way up for now) - because I have been dealing with bigger, more $$$ problems on vacay down here in Couer d'Alene...seawater pump went and cooked head gaskets ?

Bullfrog    9

That sucks Adambomb, hopefully it can be fixed in short order and you can get back on the water.

Bullfrog    9

Good news......finally had a decent day to try out the A Plate. My regular side is now 'decent' and it did not affect the Goofy side. Between the fatsacs and the A plate I'm satisfied with my boat. Regular side still needs a little work, putting a 400lbs sac in the bow really seemed to help.

Regular side- 1150lbs in the rear side, 400lbs under the side seat, 400lbs up front, some peeps and the highest I can get the switchblade is at 2 or it starts getting 'washy' again.

Goofy side- doesn't matter what I do, it's always pretty good. With the switchblade at 5 it gets massive and steep. Amazing, almost too big and always clean.

I love my Enzo again! Thanks to all who helped me get to this point. It's too bad I have to work 15 of 17 days 12hr shifts come Wednesday??

Edited by Bullfrog

DarksideR    1,679

That's great news bullfrog!! A little more fine-tuning and I'm sure you'll be in love with it!

bluesman280    99

Hey Bulfrog,

We are running a 2012 SV 233 without the switchblade.......Regular side: both quick fills full, 750 lbs in port rear locker, and 600 lbs under port seat. I have played around with bow weight and speed to lengthen the wave and have found speed works pretty good for us. presently running around 11.4 to 11.8 mph. Lower speeds under 11 gives us a high but short wave with tons of push for beginners. faster speeds give us a longer wave.

If shy on people we run a 225 lb - 350 lb sac on the seat with only a driver and a spotter.

I suspect with the switchblade sucking that back end down a bit more, the bow weight might work better than the speed in your case.

For us heavier riders, a good board is always a plus. I am 240 lbs and I have just recently picked up a phase 5 trident and find it to be a great board that recovers easily if you get too far back in the wave.

I get by well without a switchblade........but envy those that have one. Happy surfing!!!!

Bullfrog    9

Thanks Bluesman, I'm 265lbs so I might have to try that board. I can surf but conditions have to be perfect for me or I fall back and can't recover very well. I'm naturally regular but switched to Goofy because the wake is way better. How long is the phase 5 Trident?

I managed to get my shifts covered for this weekend so I get to go back to the lake and do some more experimenting!! Regular side needs some work still. Going to try playing with some bow weight. Goofy is dialed in pretty nice.

Question: how much is too much weight? I have water coming in the rear vents when surfing. Sitting still the rub rail is a little under water.

Thoughts?

bluesman280    99

Phase 5 Trident is 60". It is a nice fast board and recovers well.

The IS Red rocket/ Red Woody is a surf style and feels a lot slower, more of a cruiser, but also works good for heavier guys.

I have also tried the longest version of the Byerly Buzz and found it to be a nice board for us heavier guys. Recovers well, very stable, and not as pricey as the Trident and Red Rocket. I actually really liked the Buzz but wanted something that felt faster.

Bullfrog    9

That's what we have. It's a Byerly BUZZ. Kids love it but it's the only one we've tried.

bluesman280    99

Thanks Bluesman, I'm 265lbs so I might have to try that board. I can surf but conditions have to be perfect for me or I fall back and can't recover very well. I'm naturally regular but switched to Goofy because the wake is way better. How long is the phase 5 Trident?

I managed to get my shifts covered for this weekend so I get to go back to the lake and do some more experimenting!! Regular side needs some work still. Going to try playing with some bow weight. Goofy is dialed in pretty nice.

Question: how much is too much weight? I have water coming in the rear vents when surfing. Sitting still the rub rail is a little under water.

Thoughts?

If I remember right you have the right side surf (RH rotation prop) so I would set up opposite of what we do.

For your RH rotation set up:

Goofy:

both quick fills full 1000lbs

750 stb real locker

600 - 800 lbs stb side. We have 600 lbs under seat and sometimes toss 225 on the seat. You will need to count the driver in your 800 lbs as well in your case.

This is with just a driver and spotter in the boat. We can also get by without the 225 lbs on the seat.

Port side:

port quick fill full,

Stb quick fill about 1/2. I usually fill it and drain it on the fly as we are surfing until the wave starts to clean up.

600 - 800 lbs under, or on port side seat (people or ballast).

That being said, if you are shy on weight, just add people. People are portable and easily moved. Never hurts to have a 300 + lb buddy along, moving him around can drastically change the wave. Most of your people should be riding surf side and closer to the back, but there is a point where I find too much weight and too many people make for a poor wave. I usually decrease ballast based on people.

You have the switchblade which should also counteract any lack of weight you have.

I don't have the switchblade so my weights might all be too high once you kick in the switchblade.

I watch also watch my bow height on my SV233. I can still sit down and just see over the bow. I sometimes have a slight blind spot on the off surf side as it is usually a little higher. I don't normally need the bolster seat. My kids use the bolster seat all the time though. If your bow is too high to see over, and the boat is struggling to get over the 11 mph speed than you either need to add bow weight or decrease the weight in the back corner. I would start with bow weight if you have people along.

Some hints for us heavy weights.....until you get better at staying in the wave, place your feet as far forward as you can without sinking the nose of the board and without running into the back of the boat. The board is like a teeter totter. Weight on the front is like the gas, weight on the back is like the brake. If your back leg is getting too sore or tired, you probably need to move more forward on the board either both feet or at least the back foot a bit. If you get too far forward on the board you will sink the nose, or it will be right on top of the back of the boat. We surf as fast as 11.8 mph but usually hang in around the 11.4 range. Until you start to get the whole gas, brake, surfing thing working, started dropping your speed in 2 mph increments until you start to se the rope going slack, then you will need to start practicing the gas and brake stuff. Once you can keep things in the wave with the forward and back action....and it will take a bit of time to get it figured out, then you can start increasing the surf speed. 10.4 has tons of push, but no length in the wave, but you should easily be able to surf that. as you get a little better, you can start bringing your speed back up in 2 mph increments until find your longest wave with the best push for your weight. The guys under 225 lbs have a huge advantage, and the guys under 200 lbs seem to have enough push to surf all day.

Good luck, hopefully these hints will get you surfing. You have a boat that should get you there. especially with a switchblade.

bluesman280    99

That's what we have. It's a Byerly BUZZ. Kids love it but it's the only one we've tried.

What length is your Buzz? I rented the 5' 2" model. It had great push for me and recovered great if I got too far back. If you start to fall back in the wave, this board is stable enough that you can you can easily move your back foot forward to help catch back up to the wave. This is one of the few boards I have found to be that stable.

Edited by bluesman280

Bullfrog    9

It is 5'4 I believe Blues and thanks for tips. I hope the weather gets better so we can try some of this stuff out.

adambomb2000    35

Hey Bluesman, I love my BBFB but just curious - where did you rent a board from around Edmonton??

bluesman280    99

Hey Adam Barry Hats will rent any of their boards for $40 a weekend or $80 a week. If you buy tge board, the rental fee gets credited to the purchase.

bluesman280    99

Adam,

For obvious reasons they have to be returned in the same condition you rented in as they are all new boards they are renting for you to demo. We dropped an Oogle a couple years ago and it got damaged enough we had to buy it. Luckily they gave it to us at cost because of the circumstances. We have been demoing boards all summer. Just picked up a Phase 5 Trident. You are also welcome to try anything we have as well.

bluesman280    99

Adam,

For obvious reasons they have to be returned in the same condition you rented in as they are all new boards they are renting for you to demo. We dropped an Oogle a couple years ago and it got damaged enough we had to buy it. Luckily they gave it to us at cost because of the circumstances. We have been demoing boards all summer. Just picked up a Phase 5 Trident. You are also welcome to try anything we have as well.