Sign in to follow this  
woodeye

Upgraded Ballast for 2006 Avalanche C4

woodeye    0

I did a upgrade of the stock ballast system. I reviewed a couple of options for making in easy to operate and install. I decided the puppy pump option was best. I completely removed the aft stock tanks, manifold with sprinkler valves, and installled Pro-X Sacs (750 lbs each) in the aft compartments and Pro-X bow sac (650 lbs). Instead of using the aerator pumps for emptying, I used two additional puppy pumps for filling and reversing the pumps for emptying. The bow sac gets filled from the overflow from the center tank, and empties using the reverse option on that puppy pump. The puppy pumps will flatten the bags, and are self priming. The aerator pumps have to be primed, therefore below the water line. Operations, maintenance, and flexibilty were the main goals. Wiring the switches was a snap, but we had to by-pass the stock wiring harness for the ballast system, and go directly from the fuse panel, through the switch to the pump.

I decided to make a manifold to use the stock 1 in. intake line and 3/4" out to each pump. This made it simple to co-locate the pumps, plumbing and wiring in close proximity with one another, which now helps with the operation and maintenance. We have done several 'shake-down cruises' and stressed the system. We tested most of the limits - loading and unloading ballast, electrical, operations with lots of people or just a few - to come up with the best mix of "what's right" and what to do when things go wrong. So far, all the riders say this is Avalanche is dialed in as we can infinitely tailor the wake for the multiple conditions. I'll know for sure when we can get Adam Fields to ride. Here are some of the pix to give everyone an idea.

post-574-1276459228_thumb.jpg

post-574-1276459246_thumb.jpg

post-574-1276459275_thumb.jpg

post-574-1276459293_thumb.jpg

woodeye    0

Takes about 7 minutes for the aft bags and 6 for the center tank and bow bag combo. We definitely keep the engine running during fill and empty if we are using all three pumps at once. If for nothing else than to keep the voltage up for the pumps. If anyone wants the 'big pictures' those files are about 2 mb apiece, I'll email them.

Takes about 7 minutes for the aft bags and 6 for the center tank and bow bag combo. We definitely keep the engine running during fill and empty if we are using all three pumps at once. If for nothing else than to keep the voltage up for the pumps. If anyone wants the 'big pictures' those files are about 2 mb apiece, I'll email them.

That is great, again nice work.

T

you are going to get Adam to surf or WB? Getting him from LKG will be awesome.

woodeye    0

He'll WB. We'll ride over before his school starts or after it ends. He's helped me dial it in over the last couple of years, so I expect he'll give me the straight skinny.

bobback    3

Nice install...just food for thought, does the sac need to be vented?

Post up the before and after wave pics!