Last weekend I had a sudden overheating problem. Limped back into the dock with my eye closely on the temp gauge (temp was okay engaged at idle, but when I gave it some throttle, it would heat up again). Got the water pump out and impeller looked great. I changed it anyway. Changed the thermostat too, which was very rusty.

Haven't gotten it back on the lake yet, but if it's still overheating what would be your next step? If something was sucked into the lines is there a way to do a reverse flow flush on the cooling system? Could the temp. sending unit cause it to think it's overheating? Is there a separate sensor for the gauge and the computer to tell it when to shut off for overheat protection? Just trying to be proactive in case it's still not fixed. Thanks.

MANDC    0

Was the impeller intack or were there peices missing.

Sorry, just saw it looked great.

Edited by MANDC

David    0

I bet it was the rusty thermostat. To check, Make sure the wife is gone and put the old thermostat in some boiling water on the stove and see if it opens up.

You might want to remove the intake hose from the transmission cooler to see if anything is jammed up in it. The transmission cooler is about 6" long and is about 2.5" in diameter. It will have a couple of hydraulic lines coming to and from the transmission and a water hose on each end.

I have seen them get plugged up with weeds from the lake and reduce the water flow. Give it a try.