Sign in to follow this  
Avy c4 surfer

Avy wouldn't start

Last weekend we decided to pull the cover and air her out.

we also decided to take out the starboard ballast tank for the arrival of our new 1100 lb jumbo sac [[which finally showed up]].

we also wanted to make sure the stereo would work and that the boat would at least crank.

we put one battery in and the engine would crank [[we didnt bother starting it]] but the amps wouldnt turn on. the stereo deck would light up, and it would show that music was playing.

but no sound or lights lighting up from the amps.

so hmmm.

i called the stereo installer and they said that both batteries had to be in in order for the amps to fire up [[we only had one in]]

so then this past weekend it was time to take the avy to the doctor for a check up.

so we put both batteries in this time and tried to crank the engine again.

my dad tried to crank the engine again and. nothing.

stereo? no sound. again.

so WTH!?

we put the cover on and said that the doctor can fix it since its under warranty.

got a call earlier today and the avy was fixed!

the guy told us that my dad crossed a wire for one battery and put it on the other, thus blowing a circuit breaker in the engine compartment. the guy flipped the switch and bang, she fired right up and the stereo worked perfectly.

she also got some new fluids and some spacer/ring/thing [[i forgot the name]].

all in all said, i still dont understand why the stereo wouldnt work the first time we put a single battery in. maybe my dad crossed it then but didnt realize it? but how does that explain the engine cranking the first time?

who knows, at least she's fixed now.

she comes home tomorow so the 1100 sac will be installed soon, maybe this weekend and hopefully out for a session on the water by next weekend.

moral of the story: its easy to cross battery wires when you dont have them labeled.

Edited by Avy c4 surfer