ReSession

Has anyone added a cooling fan for their amp?

ReSession    165

Dave,

Thanks for all the great info, definitely helpful!

To answer your question, I don't have the HLCD's...I have the 6.5 160 TS HP Coax bullets (http://bulletspeakers.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53http://bulletspeakers.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=4&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53)

RMS = 80 watts (60w woofer, 20w tweeter)

So...if I go with the GT24, would you suggest dedicating this amp to the tower speakers?

Guessing I could mount it about the GT50, and from the looks of the picture, it looks like I am already running 4-gauge power and ground from the battery (which is mounted in my starboard locker, about 15 - 17')...sucks it's in storage for another month so I can't in there and start poking around!!!

Greg

post-581-1268359639_thumb.jpg

DavidEM    1

Greg,

Glad you cleared that up on the tower speakers. With coaxials on the tower also and a more mild climate as compared to what we experience here in Texas, I'm surprised that amplifier would thermal at all.

Certainly adding a second amplifier and redistributing the workload so that each amplifier passes less current will add to the thermal stability, give you more output on the tower and provide better sound quality.

Definitely explore the low voltage issue though. I'd hate to see you go through alot of extra trouble and expense only to misdiagnose the true cause.

Revisit your crossover settings as a mistuned system can introduce a great deal of inefficiency into your amplifier operation.

Verify that your amplifier fan is functioning and a reminder that adding a second internal fan from B.A. is an easy procedure.

David E.M.

WakeDoc    471

Also as someone esle suggested, make some spacers to get the amp off of the carpet having air flow around the backside of the amp sound also improve the cooling and is the cheapest easiest thing of all.