Trevor Gleadhill

Fast surf boards for big guys

Okay - So I bought a Inland Surfer Red Woody based off of many recomendations. Man, this board is everything folks said it would be. Fast, great lift and recovery, etc.

Pics later but able to throw the rope for the first time this weekend.

T

custom383    0
Okay - So I bought a Inland Surfer Red Woody based off of many recomendations. Man, this board is everything folks said it would be. Fast, great lift and recovery, etc.

T

Let me know if you need help breaking that board in B)

Bigcatpt    408

T

Trevor

I have an older IS red tide. It is a really fast board. I am stuggling with it though. I have to ride with my back foot all the way to the rear and my front foot almost in the middle of the board. Even like that I have a hard time keeping the front of the board from pearling. My board is flat as a board from the tail to about 6 inches before the tip and then the tip comes up. It really seems like it needs some rocker from tip to tail but I don't know. I was just wondering if the new red woody's have any rocker from tip to tail or if they are totally flat until the nose? I would love to see some pics of the bottom of the board and from the side to see the rocker line. thanks!!!!

Trevor

I have an older IS red tide. It is a really fast board. I am stuggling with it though. I have to ride with my back foot all the way to the rear and my front foot almost in the middle of the board. Even like that I have a hard time keeping the front of the board from pearling. My board is flat as a board from the tail to about 6 inches before the tip and then the tip comes up. It really seems like it needs some rocker from tip to tail but I don't know. I was just wondering if the new red woody's have any rocker from tip to tail or if they are totally flat until the nose? I would love to see some pics of the bottom of the board and from the side to see the rocker line. thanks!!!!

I'll get you some pics, just need to download. It is fairly flat, however, form tail to about 8 inches from the tip. It will pearl if your not careful. I did that twice the first time out but today I was fine; never over the nose. It is a great board thus far. Not familar with the red tide. Is that the early model of the red woody?

Pics soon

T

Bigcatpt    408
I'll get you some pics, just need to download. It is fairly flat, however, form tail to about 8 inches from the tip. It will pearl if your not careful. I did that twice the first time out but today I was fine; never over the nose. It is a great board thus far. Not familar with the red tide. Is that the early model of the red woody?

Pics soon

T

From what I understand it was the early model of the red woody. Its several years old. Can't wait for the pics!

From what I understand it was the early model of the red woody. Its several years old. Can't wait for the pics!

Bigcatpt - I haven't forgotten about you. Got a few shots yesterday but one camera died and the other one, we cannot find the cable to download.

T

Top    0

I bought a CWB because it was in stock and I WANTED TO SURF! I believe it's 5'4" or something like that... I can't drop the rope though...

fmqvt0.jpg

custom383    0
I bought a CWB because it was in stock and I WANTED TO SURF! I believe it's 5'4" or something like that... I can't drop the rope though...

fmqvt0.jpg

Same here, got a CWB Ride. It was cheap. I cant drop the rope with it.

NOSZED    0

The ride is the fastest board I own.lf custom and obrien tt I ride at around 10 mph and the ride is some where around 11.Definately a good boat board.

tgaugh    2

Save those pictures for your classifieds post...

Top    0
Save those pictures for your classifieds post...

Loc, I'm guessing you are refering to me? The wakeboard my wife loves, the surf board.... well...... it's easy to get on but we just can't get it to speed up enough. I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs.... I need a board that I can let go of the rope with....

tgaugh    2

I hear ya, the wakeboard is fine for sure. The wakesurf board will be a challenge, use it as a beginnner/trainer to try to get thru the season.

With your height/weight you are not as limited as you might think. Every board that was mentioned in this thread outside of the Broadcast are boards you want to try to demo in the future. I know it is not easy spending money on something you've never seen/held/rode before but often, when the research is done, it'll save you money on by eliminating the $300 on the toy wakeboard shaped like a wakesurf board and the inevitable $500 dollar board.

Bigcatpt    408
it'll save you money on by eliminating the $300 on the toy wakeboard shaped like a wakesurf board and the inevitable $500 dollar board.

:thumbsup: Thats funny Loc. Tell us how your really feel!!! Great advice though!

tgaugh    2

I promise I am trying to help. The best bet for getting going and not having to stomach the prices is to check the classifieds on wakeworld, wakeboarder, craigslist, ebay, wakeoutlaws and try to pick up someone elses $500-$900 mistake at a steal. Do the research on whatever you can find to see if it is going to work for your crew/family and your wave and snag up something with some dings/dents. They're all going to show wear and tear and I'll take someones used board for 60% pre-dinged because cosmetics have nothing on performance.

These wakeboards shaped like wakesurf boards 80% of the big 4, or better stated as "all" minus 4 boards with two in two sizes are all Year1, ebay/classified bound boards for this sport.

Top    0

Loc,

Everyone in my crew can get up on this board but no one is able to drop the rope. Are you saying it's a good board to learn to get up on and that's it? If that is the case then I'm looking for a new board now because I really want to be able to drop the rope!!!!

tgaugh    2

You SHOULD be able to drop the rope with the board, just limited progression. If nobody can drop the rope it may be a wave/skill combo. You will hit the board limitations for sure, but you aren't there yet. Getting a new board today will likely have your crew with the same problem. Picture this board a workable board with a fun factor of 2.

islander033    2

Come on Loc!

You look to be "robust" like the rest of us...lol.

What are your top 3 intermediate boards for us +190#'ers?

islander033    2
Surf or Skim?

How about top 3 of each if you have that many?

tgaugh    2

I am 212, 5'11 right now. Here's how I would be deciding today.

Performance Surf W/ Surface Trick Capability:

2009 IS Sweet Spot

2009 TWP F-18/Bullet, Non-JWSM

Cruise/ Traditional Surf:

2009 IS Swallow Tail

2009 IS Blue

2009 TWP Convert

Big Boy / Traditional Surf:

2009 IS Swallow

2009 TWP Cruiser Custom

2009 IS Red Woody

Performance Skim: