PayCheck

JL AUDIO 13W6V2D4

DavidEM    1

PayCheck,

We have established in some detail that you do want to go with the largest woofer surface area possible WITHIN the context of an optimized enclosure for the available location and space. The woofer cannot be a stand alone decision. You cannot remove the woofer from the enclosure in your assessment. The largest woofer doesn't necessarily rule in every application. So we have beat the horse to death.

Its no different with the relationship between a woofer and an amplifier. The better woofers are upgrades specifically because they have longer excursion, more thermal power handling, cones that are more rigid, surrounds that are thicker, mechanical parts that will handle more stress, etc, etc. All that adds to the combined weight increase of those moving parts. With an upgrade you may have less internal efficiency and a woofer that takes much more power, not just to initiate, but to control movement. So as a result very high performance woofers tend to be less responsive when under-powered. An analogy could be that a vehicle that is larger and heavier needs a bigger motor to accelerate and safely pass, larger brakes to stop safely and heavier suspension to still be agile.

So here is the bottom line. If you are committed (eventually) to properly powering any given woofer then go with the very best series of woofer you can. Better woofers deserve and demand more power if you want to get the extra benefits. A woofer absolutely dictates the amplifier. Its not a random combination. Stay within the simplicity of the above recommendation. For any given woofer in an open boat environment use an amplifier that is rated at the very top of the thermal or continuous power rating or perhaps just over the top for that woofer. And be sure its a quality amplifier with legit specifications. There are allot of cheap products out there that cater to sheep with over-blown claims.

PayCheck    20

defanatly makes sense, i think i will be looking in to a 12w6, or maybe a 10w7. i am hoping that one of those two subs will fit nicely under me while driving. this is the most i have ever learned on this website. i could not have recieved better information! is a ported box okay? or will an enclosed area sound better? i am not sure which one would be better. thanks!

DavidEM    1

PayCheck,

Again, no one wants to steer you...just make sure that you make an informed decision for the right reasons.

If I was to express a personal preference I would choose the greater surface area and easier to drive 12W6.

A 12W6 in a bass-reflex (ported) enclosure would have 3 dB more average output (equivalent to double the amplifier power) and a half power roll-off point 8 Hz lower than the 12W6 in a sealed enclosure. So way more responsive with deeper bass extension. Generally the best sounding subwoofer is the one where the sub and amplifier are able to run more conservatively regardless of the enclosure type.The bass-reflex external enclosure will be 47 percent larger but I think you can fit that in. Just make sure that you eventually power it correctly.

I think you have arrived at a conclusion.

David

Earmark Marine

DavidEM    1

PayCheck,

And before you pull the trigger on the sub confirm that you can fit an external enclosure of 4686.50 cu.in. or 2.72 cu.ft. Remember, that was our original starting point.

David

Earmark Marine

PayCheck    20

sounds like a plan. cant wait to get the sub in and runnin! onky a few more months to wait :rant: