Skibumm    184

It's been a fun time getting the old gal running. I found a leak in the hose that comes into the lake to my seawater pump. My pump is ran off of a fan belt and the hose is about a foot long. It was a royal PITA to get out as it had been on for 20 years. Now that it is out I am thinking I will put in a fresh water flush system to avoid the fake lake.

Question is the hose that came out was hard wall (wire running through it) it cam up and gradually bent 90 degrees and into the water pump. Does it need to be hard walled and can I do the 90 degree turn out of PVC instead of tubing?

Second question is the brass fitting looks to be threaded. Would that fitting be threaded and if so can I get a brass valve and attach it right onto that fitting?

Skibumm    184

Never mind. I figured as that was the side with suction that it needed to be hard walled. I went to HD and picked up a 1 inch brass ball valve, one elbow one tee (with plug for now) and two small threaded pieces. I put the ball valve right on the strainer to an elbow then one small piece and the then the tee. Put the remaining small piece after the tee for the hose to connect to. Cut the hose to a whooping 4 11/2 inches as it was sitting right behind the water pump inlet maybe 1/4 inch lower. hocked it all up and tested with hose and fake lake (I do not have the hose connection on the tee yet). I could not see any sign of leaking so fired her up and she ran like a top. I would put pictures, but unlike a v drive my inlet is right under the motor, so this is one job that is harder on a Direct Drive than a V-Drive.

• Like 1

TL68    40

Skibumm, my inlet hose for water pump is also a foot long. I have DD and tried to use fake a lake, plunger style, and bottom inlet was so close to the bunk on the trailer I couldn't get it to work. I was wondering if maybe some artistic piping would work? Anyone with pics, I'd appreciate it.

Skibumm    184

Skibumm, my inlet hose for water pump is also a foot long. I have DD and tried to use fake a lake, plunger style, and bottom inlet was so close to the bunk on the trailer I couldn't get it to work. I was wondering if maybe some artistic piping would work? Anyone with pics, I'd appreciate it.

I am guessing that yours is exactly like mine. I am going to finish off the hose connection tonight. I will take some pics and describe what they are

• Like 1

Skibumm    184

Here are the pics.

First is the valve I took the handle off to put in on the strainer

Then the elbow and tee. The tee is pointing up at a 45 degree so you can see the outlet of it from underneath the engine. that is where I will be connecting the hose inlet.

next is the little 4 1/2 inch hose and it attached to the water pump

Skibumm    184

Here are the pics.

First is the valve I took the handle off to put in on the strainer

Then the elbow and tee. The tee is pointing up at a 45 degree so you can see the outlet of it from underneath the engine. that is where I will be connecting the hose inlet.

next is the little 4 1/2 inch hose and it attached to the water pump

Ok I was looking to finish this tonight but am having difficulty figuring out the water hose connection. What I am wanting to do but need some advice if this will work is put an elbow off of the T and connect a short piece of garden hose to that with a shutoff valve on the hose and have it run up to the front of the engine or back to the rear so that I can connect the hose easier. My questions is does that sound like it would work or do I need to figure on having hard pipe to the inlet shut off?

chadr    328

042b078d908a4f82b40d494c8b23282c.jpg

This is how mine is set up. I don't know if it fits your application or not but it works great on mine. This setup is a copy of SuperDTF's setup. The handle is missing off the hydrant that I plug the hose to. The other is to shut off the flow to the thru hull.

Edited by chadr

Skibumm    184

042b078d908a4f82b40d494c8b23282c.jpg

This is how mine is set up. I don't know if it fits your application or not but it works great on mine. This setup is a copy of SuperDTF's setup. The handle is missing off the hydrant that I plug the hose to. The other is to shut off the flow to the thru hull.

I don't have enough room for a second valve. Mine is all under the engine and if I could get another valve it would be very difficult to reach. I'm thinking of right where your valve with no handle is putting hose on and getting it to a more convenient location. I could then put in an inline shut off or even just cap the female hose end. Just not sure if the hose part would work.

chadr    328

I don't have enough room for a second valve. Mine is all under the engine and if I could get another valve it would be very difficult to reach. I'm thinking of right where your valve with no handle is putting hose on and getting it to a more convenient location. I could then put in an inline shut off or even just cap the female hose end. Just not sure if the hose part would work.

my valve that hasn't got a handle is right against a wall. You could elbow it up there and add one maybe. I don't know about the room under the engine though.

TL68    40

Skibumm, you can always put a garden hose valve on your hose connection. And don't lose that hose washer. Maybe zip tie some extras to the tee. Piping looks good.

TL68    40

Pipe thread x barb fitting, then connect a hose to barb fitting. Run the hose back where you need, then another barb x pipe thread fitting to a ball valve. Should get you where you want. Might want to secure with a zip tie, wouldn't want a 1" ball valve swinging around your bilge.

TL68    40

Put a pipe thread x female hose fitting on the newly installed ball valve and you should be good.

Skibumm    184

So I finished it off last night. Here is the final configuration. Ball valve off of strainer, Elbow toward sea water pump, Tee facing 45 degrees down toward oil pan. Small pipe off of tee, 3 ft hose clamped to pipe, Hose ran to back of engine to mounting point in custom shower pump bracket, Faucet attached to bracket, Hose clamped to faucet. On the pump side after the tee is a 5 inch section of hard wall hose going from tee to water pump. Only part missing is a female to female connector on faucet and that will arrive Friday. Final faucet location looks like this.

• Like 1

TL68    40

Two thumbs up! Nice and tidy. That's a project for me at the end of the season.

Skibumm    184

Two thumbs up! Nice and tidy. That's a project for me at the end of the season.

Thanks. I can give you better diagrams when you get around to doing it.

RVR-RAT    269

So I finished it off last night. Here is the final configuration. Ball valve off of strainer, Elbow toward sea water pump, Tee facing 45 degrees down toward oil pan. Small pipe off of tee, 3 ft hose clamped to pipe, Hose ran to back of engine to mounting point in custom shower pump bracket, Faucet attached to bracket, Hose clamped to faucet. On the pump side after the tee is a 5 inch section of hard wall hose going from tee to water pump. Only part missing is a female to female connector on faucet and that will arrive Friday. Final faucet location looks like this.

CLEAN !! :clap:

Skibumm    184

Thanks RVR. I have a little OCD on things OK a lot of OCD. Now I just need to replace my bilge pump as I broke the mounting bracket doing all this. Pump still works but just sitting on the bottom of the bilge now.

RVR-RAT    269

Thanks RVR. I have a little OCD on things OK a lot of OCD. Now I just need to replace my bilge pump as I broke the mounting bracket doing all this. Pump still works but just sitting on the bottom of the bilge now.

LOL !!

Then it's a portable bilge pump just push it with the flag pole to the low spot in the boat :stuart:

• Like 2

Bigcatpt    408

LOL !!

Then it's a portable bilge pump just push it with the flag pole to the low spot in the boat :stuart:

Sure sounds like experience talking there!