enzo on LI

Which amp?

enzo on LI    79

So what I would like to do is power 6- xs650 inboats and 1- 12"xxxV2 sub with one amp (6 ch I presume). I currently have a couple of older Sony amps trying to this job for me, all be it everything sounds ok, but I really believe I am missing out. I would really like to stay Wetsounds on everything but not completely necessary, and would also consider 2 amps instead of one, if the budget doesnt get blown up. That said, I like it loud, but the Rev 10s do a great job of that already...the sub doesn't need to be able to crack the fiberglass, but I would like a little more than what the ol' Sony is giving me! I have been strongly looking at the HT6, mainly because of the price. Appears to be a really fair priced 6 channel amp, but even after reading all of the technical jargon over and over, I am not sure that it will work. Can someone tell me exactly what I would be getting for power from this amp, and what my best options would be. Been doing this build for a while now on a budget, but I do want to continue to do it right so be brutally honest with your answers. If need be I will just have to continue piecing it together, but I'm ok with that.

After all this typing, I am really starting to believe that most 6ch amps arent going to be the best option, but I ilke the idea of keeping amp #'s to a minimum. But like I said earlier, 2 amps is not out of the question.

And lets be honest, if there are good options for the sub out there that will crack the fiberglass and not end in divorce, I'm all for it. Who doesn't like their bass to hurt a little bit:) Btw she likes it loud every bit as much as I do, but she's also more sensible on the budget end. Thanks in advance for the help. Wylie and True...you guys are up!

viking    491

If you went xs-12 you could to an SD6 for the xs650's and the sub. Don't think that'll cut it for the XXX.

What are you powering the Rev10's with?

Edited by viking

enzo on LI    79

Thanks Viking, but not willing to get rid of the xxx as I really like the sound of it. And honestly it even hits decent but Im sure its still way under powered. If reading everything right, it looks like all of the 6ch amps are going to be underpowered at least in the sub department.

viking    491

an SD2 would be perfect for the xxx

and SD6 would run the 6 in boats.

That pairing would ROCK but not necessarily easy on the pocket book

guess i didn't realize you already had the xxx sub

But what do I know. I'm no expert! LOL I'd wait for Wylie and True to chime in :)

Edited by viking

Wylie_Tunes    146

You will likely not find a single multi-channel amp that is going to drive all the speakers to their potential. You are also not going to find a budget friendly one. The HT-6 is a perfect choice for just the 3 pair of in-boats. For the sub, I would not drive it with anything less than 1000W rms. The SD-2 is spot on power. The Arc XDi1100.1 is also a solid choice. Or, run dual 600W @ 2 ohm amps.

enzo on LI    79

an SD2 would be perfect for the xxx

and SD6 would run the 6 in boats.

That pairing would ROCK but not necessarily easy on the pocket book

guess i didn't realize you already had the xxx sub

But what do I know. I'm no expert! LOL I'd wait for Wylie and True to chime in :)

This is precisely the combo I keep ending up at when looking at the specs, and then the price keeps me looking for something different! But like I said I will continue piecing things together as I can if this proves to be the best solution!

Nick213    583

Why not add a WS SD2, bridge it to sub and keep the current amp? If you want to later change the 650's amp to a WS SD6.

enzo on LI    79

You will likely not find a single multi-channel amp that is going to drive all the speakers to their potential. You are also not going to find a budget friendly one. The HT-6 is a perfect choice for just the 3 pair of in-boats. For the sub, I would not drive it with anything less than 1000W rms. The SD-2 is spot on power. The Arc XDi1100.1 is also a solid choice. Or, run dual 600W @ 2 ohm amps.

Is 1200 watts kinda the number I want to be around for my sub? It seems like a lot of guys are going with the JL hd1200.1. Or is more ok? I know the sub is 1000w rms and 2000peak so guessing the 1200 watt is a high but safe number?

Also I see the arc xdi1100.1 is 1100 watts @ 1ohm...correct? I know the sub is capable but will running at 1ohm be too hard on amp for long haul and also how much more juice can I expect to use powering it? I like the arc price point better obviously;)

Edited by enzo on LI

enzo on LI    79

Why not add a WS SD2, bridge it to sub and keep the current amp? If you want to later change the 650's amp to a WS SD6.

The more I read and hear this is becoming a very strong option for the interim. I kinda like this option

Nick213    583

Overpowering speakers will give you a clear crisp sound if tuned correctly ;)

Wylie_Tunes    146

Is 1200 watts kinda the number I want to be around for my sub? It seems like a lot of guys are going with the JL hd1200.1. Or is more ok? I know the sub is 1000w rms and 2000peak so guessing the 1200 watt is a high but safe number?

The JL HD1200.1 is an excellent as well. Probably one of the best. Its mono sub amp, so its tuning it more in depth then the SD-2. The 1200.1 is regulated, so it will deliver that 1200W over the entire operating voltage range.

enzo on LI    79

The JL HD1200.1 is an excellent as well. Probably one of the best. Its mono sub amp, so its tuning it more in depth then the SD-2. The 1200.1 is regulated, so it will deliver that 1200W over the entire operating voltage range.

Ok...I wondered what it meant by regulated. Does "more in-depth tuning" mean experts only or can this still easily be DIY?.

truekaotik    458

Enzo,

XXX = SD2 or JL 1200.1.... Sorry, just gotta be that way... 6-XS650 I would put on a Arc XDi1200.6 @150each, SYN4 @100 to four Inboats and 125 to two, HT6 @110each, I can keep going.. Id do the 1200.6...

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

Non regulated amplifiers flux in output by voltage input. The "regulated" means it does not flux in output between a certain input voltage thresh hold...

Edited by truekaotik

enzo on LI    79

Thanks True. I edited an earlier post in regards to the arc xdi110.1 for the sub and how having to run @ 1ohm will affect amp longevity and overall runtime on battery cycle. Any input?

truekaotik    458

Now I say this because you are doing a XXX, so I would want the Inboats to be able to handle clean modest power with the XDi... A SD6 is awesomely insane but kinda overkill unless you have multiple subs.... A SYN4 or HT6 for a XS12.... All this is only my opinion....

Edited by truekaotik

Wylie_Tunes    146

Ok...I wondered what it meant by regulated. Does "more in-depth tuning" mean experts only or can this still easily be DIY?.

JL builds a line of strictly regulated amp. As true-k stated, the output in wattage to the speakers stays the same whether the engine is running or you are at anchor. Most amps are non-regulated, so the output the speaker is tied to the voltage input.

IN burp-comps and db drags, not uncommon to see 8V golf catd batteries used in order to get 16 volt to the amp. More voltage = more output.

The SD-2 does not have a infrasonic, or commonly called subsonic, filter, which is a typical woofer setting found on most mid-to hi end mono amps. The SD-2 is actually a 2 chnl full-range. It can be used for a woofer though.

truekaotik    458

For the XDi 1100.1

It will push the amplifier at its peak when slamming... As long as you have ample battery reserve I see no real issue.. I like Wylie and his input, he doesn't like me.. :(

Edited by truekaotik

boatnut    230

You can also use a exile 1200.1 for the sub and a 15.4 for the cabins and still be cheaper then some of the wetsounds stuff, also is that sub a dual Voice coil 4 ohm?

Wylie_Tunes    146

Also I see the arc xdi1100.1 is 1100 watts @ 1ohm...correct? I know the sub is capable but will running at 1ohm be too hard on amp for long haul and also how much more juice can I expect to use powering it? I like the arc price point better obviously;)

Ideally, getting the desired wattage at the highest impedance, is best. So, if I had a choice, I would take the amp that delivered 1200 (give or take) at 4 ohm. like the Kicker KX2400.1. That combo would run very conservative. Arc has obviously built the amp for a 1 ohm load, or it would not be stated, but yes, you are loading the amp down to its minimum in order to get the desired wattage.