gator808

Dry Suit Vs. Wetsuit

gator808    84

Hey guys, I know a few of you live in some cold areas and probably wear a wetsuit or a drysuit. I am hearing great reviews on a drysuit (Oniell Boost Drysuit). I grew up surfing in southern california and use to wear a wetsuit so I am pretty familiar with how they feel as far as flexibility and so forth. I am new to the drysuit market but have heard they are very comfortable and you stay warmer in one. Any help or advice on this would be great. Thanks

Danny

Cdifranco    463

Per the recommendation of someone on here I actually just picked up a boost dry suit and it got delivered today. I will definitely let you know how it works as I am putting my dock in this weekend and will be wake boarding and surfing Sunday in probably 40ºF water. I did the wet suit system last year and froze until June. Dont get me wrong it worked acceptably if you dont mind being cold for 20 minutes afterwards but the dry suit will be easier to share between friends. Worst thing in the world is going second with a freezing cold wet suit in early May.

Skibumm    184

I have a couple of dry suits. I have a baggie and a modified. The baggie is nice for really cold water as you can wear clothes under and stay very warm. The modified has tight wetsuit like legs and a baggie top. It is more comfortable and you can still wear fleece or a top layer. The legs have gaskets so they stay dry and the neoprene works to keep you warm also but not as well as a baggie with fleece leggings. If I were to only have one it would be the modified as it is easier to move in and ski in. I live in Salt Lake and we went 38 months skiing every month and I used the modified for most of that.

duffymahoney    10

I personally hate drysuits. I really love the newer technology of wetsuits, your skin really doesn't get wet. You can move better etc... There is a reason zero ocean surfers use dry suits, unless they are in the artic or alaska:)

• Like 1

Skibumm    184

I personally hate drysuits. I really love the newer technology of wetsuits, your skin really doesn't get wet. You can move better etc... There is a reason zero ocean surfers use dry suits, unless they are in the artic or alaska:)

Zero surfers use them due to the water temps being in the high 50s to low 60s in the winter. When your in sub 50 degree water you need the gaskets especially at the neck. I have a new wetsuit that I use if the water is in the 60s and it is awesome but not for really cold water.

BenHolloway    29

surfed a 4/3 in 44 degree water, not the most comfortable but was still pretty tolerable my distaste for booties was my main limiting factor... Duffy is right, the newer suits are pretty killer and with all the new tech you stay dryer. I rock a 4/3, if its colder thank I like it I have a polyolefin / thermoprene under layer I will put on, much less restricting than any drysuit I have worn...

superdtf    68

Dry suits are horrible AND awesome. If you need one, they're awesome. If you can in any way use a more traditional or hybrid suit, do it.

volzalum    280

I have a Kokatat Goretex DrySuit, and an Xcel Drylock 3/2 WetSuit myself. I use the DrySuit when water temperature is below 50. WetSuit up to about 65, then just HeaterTop.

gator808    84

Thanks guys, What are some of the new wet suits you guys are referring about? Brand, model?

jester    111

I am a big drysuit fan. Been using the Oniell Boost Drysuit's and have three of them, XS, M and L. Most of my crew fits in one of the three. It is a love hate in that it is harder to move around in them and when you crash trying to swim to the board sucks. Most of the time the boat picks up the board then we pick up the surfer. Plus side is you keep your warm dry clothing on. This is a big plus. I do have two drysuits in the boat that are 3/4 but most of the time no one uses them and ops for the drysuits. Now if you have an issue with things compressing your neck or wrists a drysuit is not for you.

DarksideR    1,679

Was planning on getting a drysuit this year, and by he size chart I'm a Large. Wanted to go halfers with a buddy who'd be a bit big for the large. Would an XL still work for me? I'm 6'2" 195lbs he's same height but 230ish.

But I have to say, with all the negative comments towards the drysuit, I'm second guessing it's worth. I've got a 5/4 full wetsuit from quicksilver that's always kept me warm. Sometimes too warm! Might try it out today.

h20king    794

wetsuit for me. I use an oneil psycho 4/3 and love it . wetsuits have come a long way. They should change the name to semi dry suit as the new style wetsuit does not let in much water. LOL

• Like 1

gator808    84

wetsuit for me. I use an oneil psycho 4/3 and love it . wetsuits have come a long way. They should change the name to semi dry suit as the new style wetsuit does not let in much water. LOL

How cold of water can you handle with a 4/3? I have always used wetsuits and now I am kind of not liking the idea you can't swim the well in one. I live in GA, and the water can get chilly in the winter but I wonder if a wetsuit would work best.

BCanuck    1

Wetsuit all the way! I have a really good drysuit for kiteboarding but never use it... When I am out of the water I put on a windbreaker over top of the wet suit, I find that works in any temperature above freezing.

Make sure you have a newer suit ... the older suits tend to lose the flexibility.

duffymahoney    10

Oneil psycho II or if you have the money go Patagonia. Their stuff is amazing.