boatnut

New stereo coming for the 210

boatnut    230
Here is a picture of where we mounted ours on our Falcon V. Its in the same place on our 233. There are some nice threads on the site with 420 mounts. WakeDoc, RVR, h20king, all have done them and they are nice!

That looks good, I just wonder if I am gonna constantly hit my knee on that as I slide into the seat, me lol is a big guy :)

And not only that, the stupid place for the lanyard kill switch as well now, means it will be hanging right in front of the ws420

Edited by boatnut

Wylie_Tunes    146

I wouldnt say a woofer is bad because of a cellulose based cone just as i wouldnt say a woofer with a composite cone is good. Way more to it then that. Some of the best and most expensive woofers on the market, are paper. This makes them light so they are very responsive and accurate. What I will say without hesitation, is that the cone material needs to used as a qualifier for which sub is the best for a marine application. Trailer sized family boats are often times retrieved from the water at the end of the weekend and covered up for a week or two. This yields a very damp and humid environment under that cover, especially with the summer heat. This can take its tole on a cellulose based woofer cone, especially one that in a ported enclosure.

Heres the thing. The cellulose based woofers with some sort of reinforcing layer or laminate, are not sealed as in the purpose of a moisture barrier. those layers are not water tight by any means. These are not marine woofers, so the builder is not in any way, building this paper cone for that reason. 9 out of 10, the layer is only on the front face of the cone. The back side is the naked formed cellulose cone material.

Im still interested in knowing what the non-paper Memphis woofer cones are constructed of. I honestly do not know, but will find out, just have a suspicion based on their wording.

By all means, school me on what has changed about cellulose based paper cones. I would love to hear more about the evolution of woofers from paper to today. Who is producing a marine or mobile woofer with a 100% waterproof cone that is cellulose based? One that the manufacture is actually advertising this as a feature? I know of none, but i am sure some would be interested in them.

DarksideR    1,679

Don't know what the shape of your dash is, but mine only allowed one position that looked right. And that was dead center under the steering wheel. Doesn't bother me, and I'm fairly big. 6'2" and 195.

post-848-0-48027600-1428856307_thumb.jpg

There was enough room for it where I mounted my ballast switches too,

post-848-0-13946200-1428856457_thumb.jpg

but it was going to be EXTREMELY difficult to hang a bracket in there. So I opted for where it is.

viking    491
After much contemplation I ended up putting mine under left side of dash. Easy access and going to tuck my sub enclosure off to the right a little bit so I conserve some of the under helm space and use the netted pocket. Liked the idea of flush mounting it in front of the throttle handle but after inspecting the space behind it was going to be an extremely tight fit and alot more work.

Making the under dash mounts took time but it turned out really nice and sturdy!!

Edited by viking

truekaotik    458

I wouldnt say a woofer is bad because of a cellulose based cone just as i wouldnt say a woofer with a composite cone is good. Way more to it then that. Some of the best and most expensive woofers on the market, are paper. This makes them light so they are very responsive and accurate. What I will say without hesitation, is that the cone material needs to used as a qualifier for which sub is the best for a marine application. Trailer sized family boats are often times retrieved from the water at the end of the weekend and covered up for a week or two. This yields a very damp and humid environment under that cover, especially with the summer heat. This can take its tole on a cellulose based woofer cone, especially one that in a ported enclosure.

Heres the thing. The cellulose based woofers with some sort of reinforcing layer or laminate, are not sealed as in the purpose of a moisture barrier. those layers are not water tight by any means. These are not marine woofers, so the builder is not in any way, building this paper cone for that reason. 9 out of 10, the layer is only on the front face of the cone. The back side is the naked formed cellulose cone material.

Im still interested in knowing what the non-paper Memphis woofer cones are constructed of. I honestly do not know, but will find out, just have a suspicion based on their wording.

By all means, school me on what has changed about cellulose based paper cones. I would love to hear more about the evolution of woofers from paper to today. Who is producing a marine or mobile woofer with a 100% waterproof cone that is cellulose based? One that the manufacture is actually advertising this as a feature? I know of none, but i am sure some would be interested in them.

No "schooling" going on, you know very well what was posted and I never said any woofer was 100% water tight. But of course you need to go there to argue your point. your saying any "cellulose", "paper", non composite material is junk for a boat. I disagree. No one said Memphis wasn't covered cellulose but you persist to think different, please find out if it means that much to you, but it's not something I will argue about as I do know Memphis and made the statements based off that. You most definitely are judging a woofer by just its cone material in this thread, saying any paper or cellulose cone is not for a boat. Done. Edited by truekaotik

truekaotik    458

The pictures show easy install and access locations for the 420. You could always come up with a new way you like and post it up boatnut!!! We can just give advice and past experiences, it's up to you to decipher everyone's input :)

boatnut    230

Whoa, hey boyz play nice :), I value everybody's opinion here, and ultimately it's my choice, and I very much value opinion, and I can normally read between the hype and fluff in alot of cases.... At some point in the marine environment, everything will fail.. But one good part is, I have the luxury to be able to. Completely dry out my boat after every use, only time I can't is when I am on holidays....

truekaotik    458

Whoa, hey boyz play nice :), I value everybody's opinion here, and ultimately it's my choice, and I very much value opinion, and I can normally read between the hype and fluff in alot of cases.... At some point in the marine environment, everything will fail.. But one good part is, I have the luxury to be able to. Completely dry out my boat after every use, only time I can't is when I am on holidays....

yes, your choice, people also frequently use non marine amps in a marine environment and love it.. Only advice I would give in this arena is again usage and maintenance. I would want a efficient amplifier over a class A/B due to power consumption differences. It is most definitely your choice.

Edited by truekaotik

boatnut    230

Oh I have as well, I've used both, everything from clarion to, kenwood, to JL to JBL , and now I have a roswell lol

Wylie_Tunes    146

you know very well what was posted and I never said any woofer was 100% water tight.

Completely agree, you didnt say that. Im asking who makes a paper coned woofer that is waterproof. You stated they do not absorb water, that that is old school thinking.

But of course you need to go there to argue your point.

My position on cellulose based cones was made in the forth post of this thread. You challenged it, so who went where? You've chosen to dig your heels in and defend the use of paper cones by a manufacturer you stated didnt you them.

Im not question your stance on the use and recommendation of paper cones, but you have certainly questioned mine in the way of old school thinking comments. Im merely substantiating my position. You are free to yours.

you're saying any "cellulose", "paper", non composite material is junk for a boat I disagree

Those are your words, but once again, for maybe the 3rd time, I will state that I do not recommend the use of paper coned woofers in the marine application. Please read the prior post for reinforcing details. Im glad you disagree, fell free to.

No one said Memphis wasn't covered cellulose

I forgot to say, the Memphis speaker in question is not a paper cone though so the point to your comment was?

Um, ok

You most definitely are judging a woofer by just its cone material in this thread, saying any paper or cellulose cone is not for a boat

This, we certainly agree on 100%. Yes, cone material should be taken into consideration when picking a woofer for a boat. I am absolutely judging a woofer based on its build materials. Dont you? Its more than about the internals that people dont see, agree?

The OP can use what ever woofer he chooses. but rather then attack those with a difference of opinion, how about just providing info so they can take what they want and make an informed decision?

truekaotik    458

Wylie, again you want to argue.. I am gonna just make a statement.

Dude, anything besides composite seems to be paper to you no matter the process it endures to become lighter sturdier and yes, more waterproof. They laminate now, yes, they weave poly fibers in to them now, ect.. Come on your a shop owner and know this. These are not "paper" woofers and if you really need me to post a real audio defined paper woofer I can. You know the difference in materials and know these processes increase its ability to not absorb moisture from the air as a nice by product to increasing lightness or whatever they feel. Even in a vehicle, humidity is considered when enhancing the woofer structural integrity as well as sound and lightness.. To say a woofer isn't marine because the cone originated from a tree is just silly talk... I know you guys love to argue but this is my last reply to you about the matter. Again, in my eyes, the Memphis in question is not paper... There is a clear definition to what a basic paper cone consists of... :)

Edited by truekaotik

RVR-RAT    269

I chose to mount mine on the right side. I like the fact its tucked away. I have never hit my knee. I have a ported box behind the footwell running an XS12. It sounds good, and i'm happy with it

post-1061-0-88748800-1428870333_thumb.jpg

post-1061-0-78916800-1428870368_thumb.jpg

boatnut    230
I chose to mount mine on the right side. I like the fact its tucked away. I have never hit my knee. I have a ported box behind the footwell running an XS12. It sounds good, and i'm happy with it

post-1061-0-88748800-1428870333_thumb.jpg

post-1061-0-78916800-1428870368_thumb.jpg

I was thinking the same rat, just gotta see if I have enough room there, closer to the throttle as well :)dea821c8f73fed3a2171ae12b0437731.jpg

Bongo Fury    640

That looks good, I just wonder if I am gonna constantly hit my knee on that as I slide into the seat, me lol is a big guy :) And not only that, the stupid place for the lanyard kill switch as well now, means it will be hanging right in front of the ws420

I have never had any issues at all with my knees and it is easy to look down and make adjustments on the fly. Not sure I understand what you mean about your kill switch....it''s not by the throttle?

boatnut    230

That looks good, I just wonder if I am gonna constantly hit my knee on that as I slide into the seat, me lol is a big guy :) And not only that, the stupid place for the lanyard kill switch as well now, means it will be hanging right in front of the ws420

I have never had any issues at all with my knees and it is easy to look down and make adjustments on the fly. Not sure I understand what you mean about your kill switch....it''s not by the throttle?

Nope, 07ea96d6fb5b8225a0ed250f076618da.jpg

Hangs in a stupid spot

truekaotik    458

Nope, 07ea96d6fb5b8225a0ed250f076618da.jpg

Hangs in a stupid spot

I like your choice to the right? :)

boatnut    230

Think it might work on the right as well or even on the side panel, sticking straight up in a nice enclosure :)1e61844768116a7f7602a248c3152035.jpg

boatnut    230

Okay, let the debates begin!! This is what I have chosen, Rev 10's for the tower, one exile Xi12 for the sub, and a wetsounds SD-6 amp, because of the space issue, would like 3 amps, but the SD6 is a good price and has lotsa power and it will fit, I k know it's a bit of over kill, but will work :) and a WS420 to keep it all under control....

Wylie_Tunes    146

The Xi12 is a good sounding woofer...............for a cellulose-based cone :thumbsup:

Seriously. For that price range, why not the fully marine built Wet Sounds XS-12 or even the JL 12W3? I know for sure, the XS-12 and 12W3 will not require as large as an enclosure.

volzalum    280

And you'd better bring the boat to an event so I can hear your stereo.