boatnut

New stereo coming for the 210

truekaotik    458

Memphis is a good brand for what they are geared for. They try to only do dealer, so Internet stuff doesn't have warranty from Memphis you will find if problems. It's is mainstream SPL woofers which LOVE vented but sealed is sweet... A X is a MONSTER in amperage consumption ran properly. You will prolly not need a X for a boat. 5 tops...

boatnut    230
Memphis is a good brand for what they are geared for. They try to only do dealer, so Internet stuff doesn't have warranty from Memphis you will find if problems. It's is mainstream SPL woofers which LOVE vented but sealed is sweet... A X is a MONSTER in amperage consumption ran properly. You will prolly not need a X for a boat. 5 tops...

What do you mean 5 tops?

Wylie_Tunes    146

:) anybody ever heard of. Memphis audio? It's mojox-12 looks pretty vicicous, but she needs some serious power!!

After a quick look, The mojax has a 3" vc. 1750 rms 3500 peak? hmmm.

fiberglass reinforced cone seems like its paper cone with a composite overlay

Im sure is "pounds"

truekaotik    458

Im sure is "pounds"

Yes that it does... For a boat I would have to agree he is looking at the wrong brand. :)

But if he wants it, buys a lot of batteries, cable, amps, major modification for a huge enclosure... It would be ridiculous.....

Edited by truekaotik

boatnut    230

Im sure is "pounds"

Yes that it does... For a boat I would have to agree he is looking at the wrong brand. :)

I don't disagree lol, it's a beast, that's why I ask you guys, I wanna do it right the first time, I am going with Rev 10's on the tower, just haven't decided on the amp yet, Kinda depends on what sub as well, tomorrow I will remove the facia again and see what I can put in the for box space and see what's involved in removing the Heater , what's required for plugs on the engine block, and I will leave in the hot water hoses, so if I ever decide to sell the boat I can put it all back in for the new owner.. , but the main thing is I wanna do it right, the first time..

Wylie_Tunes    146

Heres something to think about. the mojo5 appears to have the same 3" vc as mojox, yet les power handling. This often time means the subs are assembled, not designed.

boatnut    230
Heres something to think about. the mojo5 appears to have the same 3" vc as mojox, yet les power handling. This often time means the subs are assembled, not designed.

What do you mean by that Wylie?

Edited by boatnut

Wylie_Tunes    146

What do you mean by that Wylie?

The voice coil is the motor and it can only handle so much power before reaching its thermal capacity, Woofer A staes it has a 1750 rms/3500 peak wattage handling. Woofer B has the same size voice coil, yet states it handles 1100 rms/2200 peak wattage. One of it close, one is a stretch. A lot of woofers are assembled using the same motor but a different basket and cone to make each size or even a different sub series.

boatnut    230

Gotcha, so the concensus is I should stick with wetsounds 12" sub :) and use a sd6 and Run it in 3 channel mode, for my towers and the rest into the sub :)

Wylie_Tunes    146

Gotcha, so the concensus is I should stick with wetsounds 12" sub :) and use a sd6 and Run it in 3 channel mode, for my towers and the rest into the sub :)

The one reason to steer clear of a woofer, is cause it has a paper cone. Beyond that, if you can peel back the marketing hype and see a woofer for what it is..........

viking    491

you mean like the old M&M Godfather back in the day? LOL..........

truekaotik    458

The voice coil is the motor and it can only handle so much power before reaching its thermal capacity, Woofer A staes it has a 1750 rms/3500 peak wattage handling. Woofer B has the same size voice coil, yet states it handles 1100 rms/2200 peak wattage. One of it close, one is a stretch. A lot of woofers are assembled using the same motor but a different basket and cone to make each size or even a different sub series.

Correct, that is why I typed it's a mainstream SPL woofer ;) I have seen paper woofers survive in a taken care of boat for 8 years before he sold it. Seen a 10" in another boat that the sun ate.. All depends on placement, use and user... Especially when most of these guys drop and pull 90% of the time.

Boatnut, if you are use to mainstream woofers, the XS12 may not be enough for what you want. Although it will pair nicely with one pair of Revs off a SD6 and 6 medium driven in boats off ?. The XXX on a single SD2 will be a considerable difference in output. Just make sure you do it once and you get the bass you want the first time. Any sub set up over 600 watts I like running a dedicated amp with a hybrid capacitor to stiffen the load to said amplifier at least. Going big cost more, staying conservative will also be less work.

Edited by truekaotik

truekaotik    458

I forgot to say, the Memphis speaker in question is not a paper cone though so the point to your comment was?

Wylie_Tunes    146

True,

I am not a Memphis dealer, so as noted I do not have a lot of personal experience with them. What is their actual cone material, I do not see it listed on the website?

My point to the OP, or anyone else following along, is to ask about the products when the product description is not so telling. Based on the vague description, one might draw the conclusion, that the woofer material is something other than 100% composite. When a cone is said to be "fiberglass reinforced", its a flag pointing to a paper woofer with some form of overlay on top of it. With some woofers, you might see the word "cellulose" in the description. Its fancy for paper based.

truekaotik    458

Just because a cone originates as "paper based" doesn't mean it's a bad woofer for most leisure marine environments these days. This is a OLD analogy from when the cones were actually absorbent paper, basically. :) A fiberglass reinforced cone, fancy or not, changes the properties of the supposed "paper". The cone has increased rigidity and does not have ANY of the absorption properties of a Old School real "paper" cones you will see in cheap speaker brands. Now if we want to speak of real Marine ocean environment where things can be soaked for long periods of time, sun is beating down, I may sing a different tune.

BTW, that's like saying a Fiberglassed box is a fancy named for a wood MDF box... Which is not the case... :) that's my point to anyone or the OP.

Edited by truekaotik

truekaotik    458

Now on the other hand, having rubber over foam as a surround is almost a must for Marine. Having a UV coating on visible speakers is also a must in my book... But this "paper" thing a small handful of you old schoolers keep bringing up has changed for awhile.. Go soak a fiberglass coated cone in water...

Jerry B    12

Hey boatnut, did you decide on a mounting location for the 420? I'm trying to figure out the same thing.

Bongo Fury    640

Here is a picture of where we mounted ours on our Falcon V. Its in the same place on our 233. There are some nice threads on the site with 420 mounts. WakeDoc, RVR, h20king, all have done them and they are nice!

post-901-0-26448400-1428849691_thumb.jpg