Jerry B

2015 Tower Speaker Suggestion

Wylie_Tunes    146

How are the Icon 8's for distance? I'm trying to find the best possible option for surf and wake sound without having to go to two different sets. If it's a $400 difference between getting something that is far superior at close and long range, I'm in.

I would suggest 2 pair of Icon-8 driven in the 200-250 watts rms each range for wake projection. Not as efficient as an HLCD and the total investment needs to be compared to a single pair of Rev-10. The Rev-10 is going to be the absolute best of both worlds. The Rev series are incredibly smooth for an HLCD but when you get into that 10" driver, the extra mid-bass extension and output really balances out with the strong highs from the compression driver. This gives you that near-field sound quality that would expect form a large coaxial.

The WS-420 is a great addition to any system, but $400 in labor? Something is missing i think. The 420 offers more than tweaking! It gives you 3 independent zone volume control plus master volume and a dual EQ.

boatnut    230

Funny thing is, the wetsounds dealers around here don't stock the icon line (weird eh?) but they do stock the sxt9, now it's gotta make you wonder.....

And who's worried about distance, the icons and sxt's are for surfing, not driving sound 80 feet plus behind your boat

Edited by boatnut

h20king    794

$800 for a 420 eq and install is robbery. The 420 EQ is a must and most all of us have them. The Rev 10's for sure cost more than the other speakers listed but for good reason they are in a league of their own. Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time which also means giving the speakers the right power. Sure it is going to be some coin but it will save you in the long run from having to do it again. If you cheep out first time you hear a boat with Rev 10's on the tower you will be kicking yourself.

Jerry B    12

$800 for a 420 eq and install is robbery. The 420 EQ is a must and most all of us have them. The Rev 10's for sure cost more than the other speakers listed but for good reason they are in a league of their own. Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time which also means giving the speakers the right power. Sure it is going to be some coin but it will save you in the long run from having to do it again. If you cheep out first time you hear a boat with Rev 10's on the tower you will be kicking yourself.

Okay better get the 420. I'm getting mixed messages on it though. I thought that you could leave the master volume cranked up on the 420 and then still use the actual Clarion remotes to control overall volume (with each zone adjusted at the 420). But someone is telling me that when they had their 420 installed, the volume control on the remotes wouldn't work any more and the only overall volume control he has now is the master volume on the 420. Does that sounds right? I'd like to be able to make the settings on the 420 but then be able to adjust overall volume or mute right from the remote at the driver seat or at the back.

DarksideR    1,679

I haven't installed mine yet, but it have used the 420 on another boat. The volume control works on everything. Just like you thought it would. The deck and remote pods will mute and control volume across all the zones equally. And if your current deck has Bluetooth, you don't need the BT version of the 420. Just the normal one.

DarksideR    1,679

I'm also thinking that the $400 in labor would include all the RCA wiring that is needed, which is quite a bit. Doesn't sound that far fetched of a price to me.

boatnut    230

I agree with dark, cause if you have to run the wires, and supply a custom mounting box etc.. 400 for an install sounds reasonable :)

Wylie_Tunes    146

When you want to hang out at the back of the boat and have volume control via the transom remote: turn head unit volume down, set in-boat, tower and sub level ratios at your discretion, turn 420 master volume all the way up, head to transom. Now use remote as master volume control.

h20king    794

you could still use the remotes or volume control on the deck. when you tune the system you tune with max volume on the deck set to 75% . to use the remotes set the main volume on the 420 eq to max then use the volume control on the deck just make sure when turning up the volume with the deck or remote that you do not exceed 75% of max volume on the deck. anything past 75% will be a dirty signal and can lead to blowing the speakers hope this all makes sence

jester    111

Does Exile have a mount for bolting to the downfire bracket? Or do you use a tube clamp?

All the Exile mounts are made by Samson Sports. The mount I have was the second one made to fit on the downfire bracket since they did not want to remove the prototype from the first boat and give it too me. If you need help getting this mount let me know since I have contacts into both Exile and Samson.

h20king    794

All the Exile mounts are made by Samson Sports. The mount I have was the second one made to fit on the downfire bracket since they did not want to remove the prototype from the first boat and give it too me. If you need help getting this mount let me know since I have contacts into both Exile and Samson.

I live in the heart of Exile/Samson country IE they are both just a short drive from our home and can get a way better deal on Exile gear than I can Wetsounds. I spent the extra cash and went with wetsounds for a reason. I recommend Samson over all others for towers and board racks but when you are talking marine audio wetsounds is king of the hill.

h20king    794

Not Bashing Exile as they make a good product and they do sound good on land but that's not what counts. When you are under way your system has to overcome the sound of the engine the sound of the water and the sound of the boats exhaust. The exile just wont keep up with the rev 10' as it looses both in power handling and woofer size. And as far as the coax surf speakers go they might be ok for the other boat brands with shorter waves but with centurion and supreme you are not surfing right at the swim deck. JMO

doug743    53

I have 4 rev 10's going on in a few weeks, just picked my new fs44 up yesterday and wylie tunes is going to be doing the install. Mike saved me on my sv244 with an install by a different shop, and he fixed there mess, made it rock. Call him, he knows what he is talking about:)

boatnut    230
I have 4 rev 10's going on in a few weeks, just picked my new fs44 up yesterday and wylie tunes is going to be doing the install. Mike saved me on my sv244 with an install by a different shop, and he fixed there mess, made it rock. Call him, he knows what he is talking about:)

Omg, isn't that total overkill? And I am assuming you have a maximus tower, how are you thinking on attaching them?

truekaotik    458

With the Wet Sounds Maximus tower adapter I assume...

boatnut    230

Can you put two speakers on that adapter or you gonna mount one on the tube?

truekaotik    458

I am not Wylie but I assume he would do adapters and tube mount... Or he may try tube all the way... We tend to asess the builds better when the boat is dropped off...

4 Rev 10's aren't overkill for most the crew members here that have heard them.

Edited by truekaotik

boatnut    230

I've only had one boat with tower speakers, so I am. Still debating, cause me and my kid are so tall, this is why I am not a huge fan of them, but like music while i surf, so decisions, decisions, decisions

doug743    53

i took them off my 244 and they rocked, even when you are not needed that much, it comes in handy when we have a party cove thing happening or when we are at our beach BBQing and using the boat to play for the beach. I would rather do it once and do it right then wish later. I have had 4 boats in 9 yrs and the first three i messed up, cut corners, and ended up spending more. Now i take it to a pro, tell them what i really want and do it. So the new boat will get

4 rev 10s, the roswell in boats for now, 2 sd6, a jl1200 a jl 7w12, a 420 eq, sat radio, blue tooth, and i don't have to worry, it will be done correctly and work.

boatnut    230

I am on 5 boats in 7 years lol, I think i will live with what I have now, and see if I like it before going physco on electronics...