Silverblade    5

Guys,

My 08 Enzo is still under wraps for winter but I wanted to order a couple replacement speakers for my tower. I believe these POLK speakers are 6.5', any chance they are smaller than that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jason

centurion002.jpg

Troy. R    198

Yep, those are 6.5s so if you want to reuse those cans you'll have to stick with that size. If you want to upgrade there are tons of options.

D3 Boats    19

Polk is listed at 6.5, but the are actually 6.75. Double check with Wylie or True.

D3Boats

Silverblade    5

I believe the current speakers are POLK DB651

http://www.polkaudio.com/db651/d/1100C2679

I am going to run POLK MM651 which appear to be a

good replacement size wise.

http://www.polkaudio.com/mm651-um/d/1152C2781

I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything that one

of you guys with more experience might see.

Silverblade    5

Your good!

Thanks so much guys, its great to be able to search and find most of the info I need but help is appreciated.

• Like 1

Wylie_Tunes    146

The Polk DB series do fall into the 6.5 class, even though there will be variances between manufacturers or even the same size speaker from the same manufacturer. I like the MM over the DB for a tower speaker application, due to its 1" tweeter over the DB's .75" tweeter. Just note, the MM requires a slightly larger opening, so you may need to enlarge the pod opening just a little.

Wylie or True....off this topic, but I'm wanting to upgrade my sub/subs on my boat. Right now there is a single 10" free air kicker under the drivers console. Is there any other places to put another sub? Or do I need to look at custom enclosures under there? I'm thinking about upgrading to either 2- 10's or 2- 12's...all depending on space....or options.

Thanks!

viking    491

A properly powered and executed 12 sub and enclosure at the helm will more than satisfy you coming from a 10" free air.

truekaotik    458

Both enclosures, two 10"s high end or two mid grade 12's will fit within the space. One, depending on choice, depends on foot space, But you will need to remove the current enclosure.. Sawing fiberglass sucks :( sorry.. But is the best solution for multiple subs..

Wylie_Tunes    146

A properly powered and executed 12 sub and enclosure at the helm will more than satisfy you coming from a 10" free air.

Even more so, considering Kicker doesnt even make a true IB woofer.

@ 03Ave,

Stick with the under helm location, rather than a single or 2nd sub in an enclosed locker. A single 12 will play a little deeper than 2 10's. but 2 10's will have more peak output. Two 12's would be even better as long as you are not sacrificing on enclosure volume just make the setup work.

truekaotik    458

The air space in its current condition is enough to support a vented Wetsounds xs12, JL 12w3, Kicker 12L7, ect... It's about sealing the lower part inside the hull and adding a 4" port at Whatever length depending on sub... Done many in those years... Only cut it out twice so far for big boy subs....

Like Mike said, Kicker in that style enclosure, even mostly sealed is boring... That sub is prolly soft as heck...

Edited by truekaotik

Speaking of Polk audio...anyone know if these are any good? Wasn't really concerned about price, although I do have a budget, but these seem ok and all the reviews speak highly of them... As far as I know the specs seem ok... Is there something I'm missing or is this a great deal?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14921_Polk-Audio-DB1240DVC.html

Wylie_Tunes    146

Thats a mild 12 and wont need a lot of power to run efficiently. Id say anywhere from 300-600 watt rms amp would be about right. Being a 4 ohm DVC, you will need either a mono amp thats 2 ohm specs fall into that range or 5 chnl hybrid that its sub chnl falls into that range. It will not be ideal to bridge across 2 chnl. Based on the T/S parameters, it will perform ok in either a sealed or ported enclosure. The boat will influence which will fit best.

Ok....just a little rundown, I have 10 alpine 6.5's, 4 on the tower, 6 in the boat, and two kicker zxm700.5's to run everything. Planned on the 5th channel on both amps to run a sub...if that helps...

You guys have been great!

Wylie_Tunes    146

Chnl 5 of a zxm700.5 will deliver 420 rms to a 2 ohm woofer.

traysonh    11

I believe the current speakers are POLK DB651

http://www.polkaudio.com/db651/d/1100C2679

I am going to run POLK MM651 which appear to be a

good replacement size wise.

http://www.polkaudio.com/mm651-um/d/1152C2781

I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything that one

of you guys with more experience might see.

I know I'm a little late to the party, but if it were me, I'd totally get a set of the Kicker 6500.2 HLCD speakers and put them in your stock cans. they will be able to project your sound out to wakeboard length. Sure they won't sound like Rev 8's or XM9's but for the money, it's hard to beat a plug and play HLCD setup.

$215 on ebay for new:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kicker-10KM65002-6-5-400W-Marine-Component-Speakers-Horn-Tweeters-KM6500-2-/351065812843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51bd272f6b&vxp=mtr

You might have to relocate the crossover on the horn like I did, but it's really not that hard to do a little wiring and move it.

GOPR1309.JPG

mgcondra88    0

This is late to your post but, I just got done installing a full JL system in my 04 avalanche and I replaced the 10" Kicker with a 10" JL Sub. Then on the Transom walk thru area I cut a hole for another 10" Sub. It sounds great and is nice to have bass on both sides of the boat and two different types of enclosure areas for different types of Bass. They really balance each other out.

post-6889-0-75464400-1430268104_thumb.jpg