Audionly101    39

The time is finally drawing near to say good bye to my old Elite V. I have talked about upgrading for 4 years but it seemed like every time I wanted to upgrade something would come up and back burner it. In my new / newer boat search I am looking at a few V226's. Who can tell me what things have changed over the years between 2011-2014? I am leaning in the direction of a 2012 that fits my budget but don't want to be missing out on a feature or option of a 2014 for slightly more coin that makes it worth it. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Troy. R    198

the fit and finish will be better in a Fineline manufactured boat. It'll also have a PCM instead of Merc or inmar. The running surface and overall design is about the same.

the fit and finish will be better in a Fineline manufactured boat. It'll also have a PCM instead of Merc or inmar. The running surface and overall design is about the same.

What he said.

Plus the 2015 S226 has a new updated look and you can get QuickSurf on it as an option if you go new.

I would stay away the older boats than Fineline. The QC was almost not existent at Calabria the contracted builder of the V226 until Fineline bought them in January of 2013. If the HIN does not start with FIN I would stay away for sure.

h20king    794

In 2014 they did away with the factory hard tank ballast and went to reversible pumps and enzo sacks with only the bow tank remaining. The vinyl changed to the carbon fiber stuff. and either indmar or PCM for an engine depending how early in 2014 it was built. also zero off speed control became an option.

Audionly101    39

Plus the 2015 S226 has a new updated look and you can get QuickSurf on it as an option if you go new.

I would love to get a S226 with Quickfill and Quicksurf but that is completely out of my budget. Even a S21 with Quicksurf and a few required options is too pricey unfortunately.

What great gain is there to a PCM engine? The Merc Black Scorpion seems to be a tried and true engine with truly very few failures that I am aware of. Other than some extra HP, is there a huge benefit to the PCM power plant?

HP is very important to a boat with Ballast in it. That was the issue with MerCruiser, the did not keep up with the times offering higher HP engines to the market. Also gear ration is important as far as I can remember, the MerCruiser's where 1.23:1 Ratio, the PCM is 1.46:1 better power and weight carrying 1.46 ratio.

I agree that they did not have lots of issues, but water pump changes, bottom mount starters, and sensor issues where the most common problems in the MerCruisers. PCM does not seem to have these complaints.

DarksideR    1,679

I think you'll find more Indmar engines in the V226's than you will Mercs. Not that that's a good thing.

h20king    794

nothing wrong with the merc or the indmar. Biggest problem with the merc is the merc speed control

If you don't mind posting it, what is your budget? I agree if you can swing a 2014, they made some substantial upgrades to the boat. Down the road I see that year being a very sought after year because it's got all the major upgrades that fineline made (except for quickfill) but it was the last year for that deck style (pre bow bullets). Now would be the time to find a left over or demo boat out there for a deal..

Audionly101    39

If you don't mind posting it, what is your budget? I agree if you can swing a 2014, they made some substantial upgrades to the boat. Down the road I see that year being a very sought after year because it's got all the major upgrades that fineline made (except for quickfill) but it was the last year for that deck style (pre bow bullets). Now would be the time to find a left over or demo boat out there for a deal..

Ideally the boat will be close to 50 - 55k. I do have a bit of flexibility but I don't want to use up every penny on a newer boat and end up without additional items (extra ballast, tower speakers, and so on) that I could easily afford with an older boat. I am still working with the idea of a S21 but really would like the extra bit of length. :whistle: An older Enzo would fit the bill also but the freeboard of a Supreme is a BIG plus in my book.

Audionly101    39

In 2014 they did away with the factory hard tank ballast and went to reversible pumps and enzo sacks with only the bow tank remaining. The vinyl changed to the carbon fiber stuff. and either indmar or PCM for an engine depending how early in 2014 it was built. also zero off speed control became an option.

The 2012 with the black scorpion does have the optional GPS based Mercury Smart Tow Pro. Does any experience with this system?

Ideally the boat will be close to 50 - 55k. I do have a bit of flexibility but I don't want to use up every penny on a newer boat and end up without additional items (extra ballast, tower speakers, and so on) that I could easily afford with an older boat. I am still working with the idea of a S21 but really would like the extra bit of length. :whistle: An older Enzo would fit the bill also but the freeboard of a Supreme is a BIG plus in my book.

You can always add those additional items down the road, id say spend the money on the boat itself right now and add on extras later on.. I'd say a brand new left over 226 could be had for low 60's ish.. S21 might get you closer to that 55k number. If you can find a pre owned 2014 or a demo, that could be the ticket for you. The warranty alone might be worth a little extra scratch on a newer boat.

viking    491

Hillside had a 14 V226 for clearance that was extremely close to your budget. You might want to hit Travis up about it?

Lak3surf3r    714

HP is very important to a boat with Ballast in it. That was the issue with MerCruiser, the did not keep up with the times offering higher HP engines to the market. Also gear ration is important as far as I can remember, the MerCruiser's where 1.23:1 Ratio, the PCM is 1.46:1 better power and weight carrying 1.46 ratio.

I agree that they did not have lots of issues, but water pump changes, bottom mount starters, and sensor issues where the most common problems in the MerCruisers. PCM does not seem to have these complaints.

I had a 2012 v226 with a merc in it and it was nothing but problems right form the factory. I had a complete harness swap out and and ECU swap along with multiple sensors changed out under warranty and it never fixed the problems but the boat itself was great. It only threw codes and didnt affect performance, it was just annoying seeing the engine alarm. To be fair I have always had ramfill errors on screen although it works fine and ive been through 6 firmwares on my FS44.

DarksideR    1,679

Yikes!

Audionly101    39

I keep hearing people trashing the mercruiser engine but nasmith, you are the first person I have actually heard first hand problems from. All the others have said the typical "I hear that engine is junk" or something similar. Being a mechanic by trade I know some brands get bad reputations by word of mouth from a very limited number of issues and some truly deserve the bad reputation. I want to be as objective as possible.

Edited by Audionly101

h20king    794

If the price is right go for it. sack it out and you will be stoked. The wave is Awesome. Im sure your old boat had the Merc so you know what your getting and what to expect.

Lak3surf3r    714

I keep hearing people trashing the mercruiser engine but nasmith, you are the first person I have actually heard first hand problems from. All the others have said the typical "I hear that engine is junk" or something similar. Being a mechanic by trade I know some brands get bad reputations by word of mouth from a very limited number of issues and some truly deserve the bad reputation. I want to be as objective as possible.

The MOTOR was fine, nothing ever failed with it, only the wiring and sensors were bad. I was told that from the mid year switching in manufacturing there were several problems that came up in the electrical. I know people with the 2011 and had no issues but know 1 other with a 2012 with a merc that had the same exact WIRING and ECU issues as me but never actual motor problems.

If the price is right go for it. sack it out and you will be stoked. The wave is Awesome. Im sure your old boat had the Merc so you know what your getting and what to expect.

Agreed, I loved the wave on my 226 but I really would recommend one with quickfill. Ive taken a few out with stock enzo sacs with and without the quickfill and the difference is huge! The ones with quickfill need no extra weight but without need lead or extra ballast to clean up the goofy wave.