Sign in to follow this  
lakerat

Yes .... Tubes Really Are Evil

lakerat    70

I was talking with one of my daughter's neighbors and asked him why they sold their boat. It turns out that they were taking a break from tubing when a gust of wind caught the tube, which took off like a kite while somehow wrapping the rope around the wife's neck; nobody noticed until my daughter saw the lady hanging over the side of the boat. She grabbed the rope and with the help of the husband was able to free her; she was choking and had a rope burn around her neck. I guess when they got home the wife told the husband to put the boat for sale and throw the tube away.

I asked my daughter why she never told me the story and she said she knew I hated tubes and that she was afraid I'd use it as an excuse to ban them from the boat. My granddaughter agreed as did my grandsons when she asked them. They know me so well. lol

RhuntIII    555

Wow! That's horrible. She is ok?

lakerat    70

Yes, she's ok. No lasting effects except a light scar on her neck and a boat/tube phobia.

bcollins    18

Interesting :devil:

Honey, we're going on the boat this weekend, grab the tube. No kids.

Seriously though, glad she's okay. Crazy story.

• Like 1

duramat    462

Was the tube on the boat with the rope coiled up?

Glad to hear she's ok.

Wife was kneeling on the port seat with her knee in the handle of the WB rope when she tossed the rope out carelessly to my prop (my story not hers). Left a nasty nasty bruise as it ripped out from underneath her. Could of been worse....she could of made me sell the boat? (I kid)

jiriki    13

Good to hear she's okay. :)

Getting rid of the tube kinda makes sense... selling the boat doesn't....

rockballer    162

Yikes... I always hate pulling people in the tube behind the boat. Especially when my 3 yr old wants to go tubing and my prego wife has to go with him to weight the tube. Its a 2 person and absolutely hate when people want to get flipped. As a captain there is nothing worse than watching 2 people flip in a tube.. Yikes. I occasionally offer the tube ride to drunk douches on the boat. Its my way of getting them off the boat and playing with them... :guitar:

• Like 1

lakerat    70

Was the tube on the boat with the rope coiled up?

Their boat was an I/O and I think they said it was on the engine cover or swim step. They didn't say if the rope was coiled but when the wind took the tube she grabbed for the rope and managed to get it around her neck and freaked. It seems like ropes, hoses and extension cords often manage to get tangled and hooked on just about anything that you don't want them to.

jiriki    13

Their boat was an I/O and I think they said it was on the engine cover or swim step. They didn't say if the rope was coiled but when the wind took the tube she grabbed for the rope and managed to get it around her neck and freaked. It seems like ropes, hoses and extension cords often manage to get tangled and hooked on just about anything that you don't want them to.

I take it back.. good thing he sold it.. now he can upgrade ;)

DarksideR    1,679

My buddy was on a boat years ago, a wakeboard rope was coiled up on the floor but apparently some of it was still in the water. Not exactly sure how, but another boat floating with them took off and of coarse the rope got attached to it somehow and this chick in the boat got her leg tangled and was ripped into the air! Luckily the rope snapped but only after filleting her leg really bad!

It's so easy to forget about these ropes and where they're left. I think selling the boat because of one mishap isn't really justifiable. Sell the tube or just alter your boating habits. Be careful everyone.

jiriki    13

Ropes in general, not just tubes have their dangers without a doubt. Always have a good sharp knife on board too. Kind of like scuba diving.

Having said that...

He can buy an Enzo now and join us on the forums.