Bigcatpt

Belts and Pulleys

Bigcatpt    408

Lately I have been getting a squeak coming from a pulley. I think I have read that you can replace a few of them. Which ones can I replace? Idler pulley and tensioner pulley?

Does anyone know part numbers for these for a 350 Mag tow sports engine? Marine or auto part numbers?

And second question. How tight should the serpentine belt be? How much play?

Thanks in advance!

DarksideR    1,679

I've had a squeak happening on mine for a while. Only seems to happen when it's cold though. Bought a new belt for it, but still haven't changed it. I seem to remember the amount of play to be 1/2"-1". SuperDTF is the guy in the know.

Bigcatpt    408

Super where are you when we need you?

I replaced the idler, tensioner and belt. Still squeals.

superdtf    68

Super where are you when we need you?

So I think you used the same belt as I did once, so I'll be surprised that your pulleys are different. http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/7339-serpentine-belt/

The easily replaceable pulleys are the tensioner and idler pulleys. The others are attached to the sea water pump and alternator.

superdtf    68

I replaced the idler, tensioner and belt. Still squeals.

I'm guessing you have an alignment challenge.

...unless you have a moisture issue, but I was guessing you'd notice that already. :-)

Bigcatpt    408

Thanks Super. I will check out that thread.

Bigcatpt    408

So I think you used the same belt as I did once, so I'll be surprised that your pulleys are different. http://www.centurioncrew.com/index.php/topic/7339-serpentine-belt/

The easily replaceable pulleys are the tensioner and idler pulleys. The others are attached to the sea water pump and alternator.

So I checked my notes. I belt I purchased was a Dayco 5060875 for my 350 Mag MPI. The Black Scorpion needs the Dayco 5060878. So there is a little difference between the two on belt size. How can I check or confirm if the pulleys are the same or not? I have searched online but getting mixed answers.

I'm guessing you have an alignment challenge.

...unless you have a moisture issue, but I was guessing you'd notice that already. :-)

It may have something to do with a leaky shaft seal and 2500lb on port side all with a couple leaky sprinkler valves. Ha!

Seriously when dry it is almost silent just a chirp or two

I'm thinking I tweaked the tensioner actually it seems to be the weakest link. Causing some noise

Edited by Tommywalton1974

Bigcatpt    408

Ok so that diagram helped a bunch Rhunt. So now I know the Mercury/Mercruiser part numbers for the two pulleys. The Mercury ones are about 3 times the cost that Superdtf paid for his Dayco pulleys. I have been searching online to try to find a way to figure out what the auto part number equivalent is for these 2 pulleys to try and save myself some coin. Any suggestions other than pull them off and take them to the Auto Parts store to try and match them? How can I get these into a Dayco equivalent number?

Edited by Bigcatpt

Nick213    583

Really wish I woulda saw this earlier , I just went and got a factory belt for $83.46. Now I gotta change it!

My belt only squeaked at start up last time out and it's not really that bad but it's weathered looking and only has 40hours on it. Will a belt go bad from just sitting unused for a long time?

Edited by Nick213

Bigcatpt    408

So I did a little more checking on these 2 pulleys.

The Mercury Tensioner pulley (part # 807757T) (Sierra part number 89009) is listed as a 3" diameter pulley. The Dayco pulley that Superdtf bought (#89009) is listed as a 76 mm diameter pulley. If you convert 76mm to inches you get 2.992 inches. That is close enough for me. Mercury pulley cost $40. Dayco cost $13.60 at Amazon.

The Mercury idler pulley (part # 864625T) is listed as a 4 1/4 inch diameter pulley. The Dayco pulley that Superdtf bought (89014) is listed 109 mm diameter pulley. The conversion comes out to 4.29 inches. I am not going to squabble over .04 of an inch. Close enough for me. Mercury cost $40. Dayco cost $18.58 at Amazon.

I bought them. I will check them out to make sure they match and let you know. Fingers crossed

RhuntIII    555

sweet. be sure to post the results.

nailem    29

I just took mine off and took them to auto zone and they matched them up. I had to tap out the spacer just like super said but they are exactly the same and were somewhere around $10 or $15 each maybe less, can't remember. I also took the belt in and matched it up with and went with the one that was slightly shorter.

superdtf    68

So I did a little more checking on these 2 pulleys.

The Mercury Tensioner pulley (part # 807757T) (Sierra part number 89009) is listed as a 3" diameter pulley. The Dayco pulley that Superdtf bought (#89009) is listed as a 76 mm diameter pulley. If you convert 76mm to inches you get 2.992 inches. That is close enough for me. Mercury pulley cost $40. Dayco cost $13.60 at Amazon.

The Mercury idler pulley (part # 864625T) is listed as a 4 1/4 inch diameter pulley. The Dayco pulley that Superdtf bought (89014) is listed 109 mm diameter pulley. The conversion comes out to 4.29 inches. I am not going to squabble over .04 of an inch. Close enough for me. Mercury cost $40. Dayco cost $18.58 at Amazon.

I bought them. I will check them out to make sure they match and let you know. Fingers crossed

Remember: Keep the bushings from the old pulleys; the new ones don't show up with them. :o

Bigcatpt    408

I just took mine off and took them to auto zone and they matched them up. I had to tap out the spacer just like super said but they are exactly the same and were somewhere around $10 or $15 each maybe less, can't remember. I also took the belt in and matched it up with and went with the one that was slightly shorter.

What engine do you have? Do u remember the part numbers for the pulleys?

Bigcatpt    408

Remember: Keep the bushings from the old pulleys; the new ones don't show up with them. :o

Got it. Thx

nailem    29

I have a black scorpion. I wish I did remember and usually I'm good at taking notes but I can't find anything. I know it was real simple to match up. It definitely quieted down my engine compartment.

Bigcatpt    408

Pulleys came in from Amazon. They are an exact fit for the 350 Mag MPI motor. So this motor and the Black Scorpion use the same idler and tensioner pulleys.