Sign in to follow this  
Tommywalton1974

Double tail skim board

So today I was getting more time

In on the factor Pcx. I ride reg and have been mixing it up for fun. Using the rope

At first to switch from toe to

Heel side, now I can do it without the rope most of the time. My factor is basically the same exact shape front and rear and rides easily pointed either way.

Here's the question, is there such a thing as a double tail board? Fins on both ends with a little rocker on both ends? With modified traction to ride either way? If so where can I get one?

WakeDoc    471

Not that I have seen traction wise, but you could replace the front piece with a rear stomp bad or trim a piece from the front and add something like this Dakine Tail Block

31GyDDwe5YL.jpg

Also I have seen some models through the years offered with a front fin but, not rear pad on the front basically the same board you have with a front fin.

Not that I have seen traction wise, but you could replace the front piece with a rear stomp bad or trim a piece from the front and add something like this Dakine Tail Block

31GyDDwe5YL.jpg

Also I have seen some models through the years offered with a front fin but, not rear pad on the front basically the same board you have with a front fin.

That's an idea. I would like a little rocker on both ends. I think it would be a crazy fun board to ride as I can't do a shove-it. But I can switch by spinning! Maybe this winter when I'm bored I could find someone to build one. With about a 3/4" set of fins

WakeDoc    471

I am afraid a board with the same rocker on both ends would not ride very well, they would against each like having a brake either way you ride.

inland surfer use to have a board like that, a single fin on both ends, tail block on both ends called the phlegm i believe.

not sure about how much rocker on both endspost-5830-0-96192400-1408858258_thumb.jp

post-5830-0-96192400-1408858258_thumb.jpg

rawinnin    73

inland surfer use to have a board like that, a single fin on both ends, tail block on both ends called the phlegm i believe.

not sure about how much rocker on both endspost-5830-0-96192400-1408858258_thumb.jp

Boards have much evolved from that time frame that is why you no longer see the Phlegm in the IS lineup.

I think what I want would be sick. Some are close already. Mine rides backwards as easy as forward. Just no fin so it's a little loose.

DarksideR    1,679

Why cheat? Just learn to handle its looseness and it'll make you all the better rider for it. I'd think that the front fin could alter the way it handles riding forward. Might actually be a negative thing.

Perhaps. It rides fine fin forward. If wakesurfing follows skateboarding and wakeboarding progression, a double tail board may pop on the scene. I watched that happen with both of those board sports.

Just a thought. I Remember when vision dropped the double tail on street skaters, kids were like that's crazy, stupid, a month later everyone had one. I still own a hyperlite wakeboard that has a pointed nose and flat tail.

Your right dark riding it backwards makes you a better rider, I've had more fun this weekend than ever riding backwards and heel side. For that reason only now I can go rope less heel side! Now I know how all those goofy guys feel riding heel side on port. Fun stuff!

• Like 1

WakeDoc    471

I think you missed what was being said before, the fin on the front has already been done and done away with, liquid force, hyperlite, inland surfer, trick boards, etc. have all had models like this but, they did not last. On a skim board the true key to riding revert is edging the board. Although truly you could add a front fin to any board on your own.

Oh I see. Come and gone. Good thing then doc that inland board up there looks like a wake skate gone bad.

• Like 1

WakeDoc    471

Some past boards that I can remember that had front fins, CWB made the Ride, Tsunami, Razr, and Blackjack; Liquid Force made the Skimskate, Venture and Inlander; XBC (has not been around for awhile) had a skate model, Phase5 offered it as an option at one point and of course TrickBoardz has always had a fin on both ends. Not to say you could not add a fin, to each there own.

enzo on LI    79

I had the "fakir" fin on my phase 5 dd pro carbon for a while and honestly hated it. Never rode it heel side much but it hindered spinning for sure

What type of fin is that? Fin on my Pcx is about 1-1/8" I think. Its a shade too big

enzo on LI    79

I believe it is 1" but would have to double check

BenHolloway    29

Tommy, P-5 is coming out with a new twin tail board... looks it up on their blog, I would copy and past but I can on this site for some reason. Phase-5 Hammerhead

wakemitch    15

One fin is the most common because it gives the riders options. Certain tricks are easier with no fin, while others are easier with a fin. With one fin you can set up the board how you want by just doing a shuvit.

Rocker needs to be directional. Skateboards use wheels so it rides fine in either direction. But skimboards rely on rocker for speed and maneuverability. You need nose rocker so the board can carve up the wake without digging, but you want almost no tail rocker because that slows the board down. If the rocker was symmetrical, the board would have so much drag, or it would pearl too easy depending on how much rocker was used.

Phase 5 makes the Oath which is very close to having a symmetrical outline, but the rocker is still directional, the traction is normal, and there is only one fin. I personally was not a fan. I liked the pro carbon much more. The Oath wasn't as nimble or as fast IMO

WakeDoc    471

I would copy and past but I can on this site for some reason.

I bet you have reached your bandwidth limit, maybe you should become a supporting member.

BenHolloway    29

I think its a problem with the site to be honest... I should be able to right click and paste text...