atk1721

Amp confusion

atk1721    1

I have been getting lots of conflicting info on various amps and I don't know what the ratings on the box mean. Can someone please help clarify this for me. I had an amp that I need to replace because it stopped working. I need to power one pair of exile sxt65q speakers. They are 4 ohms, 125 rms and 300 peak. I was using an exile sm400.4 which was 50x4 at 4ohms, 70x4 at 2 ohms. It was connected by bridging them. I was told that the amp was way under power and I was only getting 100 watts per speaker. The sales person recommended that I buy an MTX audio TM904-B. The box says 45x4 at 4ohms, 75x 4 at 2ohms and 150x2 bridged at 4 ohms. It seems to me this amp has less power. At another store the sales guy told me both of the above mentioned amps are too weak and he recommended a Rockford fosgate P400x4. The box says 50x4 at 4 ohms, 100x2 at 2ohms and 200x2 at 4 ohms bridged. Aren't all of these about the same power? At 200x2 at 4 ohms bridged is that 200 watts per speaker or does that mean the speakers share 200 and each speaker gets 100 watts? Will either of these amps powerful enough? Thanks for any help.

truekaotik    458

The fosgate will give you 200 watts per speaker....

Wylie_Tunes    146

For those 6.5" coaxials, 100W rms is good power, 150W rms is perfect and an amp that would deliver 200w rms is great, but would need to be rained in just a little. So power wise, based on what you've posted, both the MTX TM904 and the Rockford P400.4 are fine. I know nothing of the MTX, but do know that the P400.4 can be bridged for your application.