harlobra

2015's and Roswell Speakers

There is bad information in this thread.

There is no Roswell Maximus Tower. The Downfire System is not a Roswell designed package. The Maximus Tower in the next evolution in Centurion designed and owned towers from the Gladiator to Aegis to Maximus. The tower speaker system itself, also designed and owned by Centurion, are called the Centurion Downfire System. The cabin-firing speakers which are manufactured by Roswell match the in-boat cabin speakers. The 12" exposed subwoofer is a Focal, and the entire system is driven by three Roswell amplifiers, two 600.4 and one 500.2 on a custom Downfire amp rack. The installation is beautiful, and the sound is incredible.

Standard on the Downfire System is integrated LED rings around the entire Downfire housing. With all interior LED packages, the in-boat speakers have LED rings, and the subwoofer is included, behind a stainless Centurion helmet grill designed for the 12" subwoofer.

The design by Centurion was to offer a full, accurate sounding system and zone control to disable the standard tower speakers. For most customers, it's too loud out of the box, even over Bluetooth. Most importantly every song is full and accurate, never ear piercing and always balanced.

Todd when you say "zone control" does that mean it will have control similar to that of a wet sounds 420eq? We have all kinds of people and ages out on our boat so having that would be great. The teens like it loud sometimes we have sleeping babies in the boat where we need to turn the in boats completely down but run the towers for the surfers.

Wylie_Tunes    146

Todd,

RE: "Downfire System"

Are the larger rear firing drivers and the smaller down firing drivers wired on independent amp chnls or are all speakers in a pod wired together? Just to clarify, its the rear firing speakers that have independent volume control, while the down firing speakers continue to play at head-unit volume along with the in-boats?

Thanks,

RhuntIII    555

I'm just gonna add my 2 cents. I think the down fire and the new tower looks kick butowskie! I'm sure if the sound sucked Fineline would have gone a different route.

We should wait to listen to the new setup before we judge. So a demo of the 1015 at the crew meet? :thumbsup:

Two thumbs up on having tower speakers that point downward into the boat.

acman    59

Not sure how the down fire speakers help at 60' behind the boat. 6 inboats should be enough for the crew. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Like 1

duramat    462

Not sure how the down fire speakers help at 60' behind the boat. 6 inboats should be enough for the crew. Maybe I'm missing something?

Nope...

:thumbsup:

Edited by duramat

Kevin Baugh    78

the downfire are for the cockpit not 60' behind the boat

duramat    462

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of inboats? (Sound being generated from within the boat directed at ears in the boat) I'm confused..is it a boat or is it the greatest dolby surround sound system like in my living room? I don't get the concept of having additional speakers aimed from above when you have sufficient amount from within the boat already.

I'm happy to hear it...just don't think it makes sense, but HEY!!...I'm glad Supreme didnt drop Wet Sounds

:thumbsup:

Edited by duramat

volzalum    280

I like that the stereo would have the five year warranty like the rest of the boat, just aesthetically, I'd rather have quad Rev 10's boat color on the tower, and would rather all of the LEDs be RGB like you can get on the Wetsounds stuff. I do love the sub grill. I wish all of the inboats had a similar grill. I guess I'll have to go listen to one before purchasing this winter and decide which is more important ... Warranty or Wetsounds style and features. If you can adjust the volume of tower and inboats separately like a 420, and have a microphone for talking to the watersports people, it may be better than first thought.

Shaka    146

It looks to me like there are two rear firing speakers on those pods. If they are HLCD then you aren't going to have problems hearing sixty feet behind the boat. I haven't looked again but if I recall correctly there is a woofer firing back with a horn right next to it similar to how kicker does their HLCD's.

RhuntIII    555

If I remember correctly two in boat speakers are missing because of the RAM fill. The Down Fire could be a good solution to more weight in the boat with better sound.

Wylie_Tunes    146

I like that the stereo would have the five year warranty like the rest of the boat

So in models past, the stereo equipment was not covered under the same bow to stern boat warranty?

Wylie_Tunes    146

It looks to me like there are two rear firing speakers on those pods. If they are HLCD then you aren't going to have problems hearing sixty feet behind the boat. I haven't looked again but if I recall correctly there is a woofer firing back with a horn right next to it similar to how kicker does their HLCD's.

What I see on the Centurion site is what appears to be a rear pointing 8" woofer with a compression tweeter (not horn loaded) with a pair of 5.25" coaxials that pivot. One facing aft, one facing forward that can be pointed down.

A component style woofer a compression tweeter thats not horn loaded, will act like a super charged coaxial. It will be load with the right amount of power, but will not have the same narrow cone of projection that an actual horn loaded compression driver will have.

Another potential drawback this this type of setup, is if those mix/matched (both size and type) speakers are paired together on the same amp chnl. Different sizes and types of speaker do not evenly divide the available power. You will also compromise the tune. Lastly, you have no way to dial down the volume of those down-firing speakers, when the tower speakers are turned up. This is why so many boats with towers speakers, eventually end up with some sort of zone control. 9 of 10 want to turn down the in-boats independent of the tower, not the other way around.

Hopefully Todd can expand on the systems details and setup.

What Todd said makes me want a brand new centurion.

• Like 1

volzalum    280

So in models past, the stereo equipment was not covered under the same bow to stern boat warranty?

I was comparing my 2015 options ... Aftermarket Wetsounds warranty vs Centurion Boats installed warranty, not 2014 Wetsounds installed by Centurion vs 2015 Roswell ...

Edited by volzalum

volzalum    280

If I remember correctly two in boat speakers are missing because of the RAM fill. The Down Fire could be a good solution to more weight in the boat with better sound.

If you go to the photo shoot on the FS44 by WakeDoc, you will see there are 6 inboat speakers with RamFill.

acman    59

New products... New opinions! And the fs44 has 6 inboats. The fx22 loses a cabin speaker with ram fill just like the 233. Probably need to hear it but tower speakers IMO are for the wake boarder/surfer.

Edited by acman

toddgaughan    6

I am sorry for my delay in response! If you have any questions you can always see your local dealer or send inquiries at centurionboats.com.

@Wylie_Tunes
Are the larger rear firing drivers and the smaller down firing drivers wired on independent amp chnls or are all speakers in a pod wired together? Just to clarify, its the rear firing speakers that have independent volume control, while the down firing speakers continue to play at head-unit volume along with the in-boats?

Yes, they are separate, more details below in response to your later questions.

@acman

The Downfire speakers are designed to improve the quality of sound inside the boat factoring in wind and engine noise, and of course essentially a convertible on water. It is about quality and nothing down-firing to help with 60' back. That's what the traditional tower speakers are for.

@duramat
Doesn't it defeat the purpose of inboats? (Sound being generated from within the boat directed at ears in the boat) I'm confused..is it a boat or is it the greatest dolby surround sound system like in my living room? I don't get the concept of having additional speakers aimed from above when you have sufficient amount from within the boat already.

I'm happy to hear it...just don't think it makes sense, but HEY!!...I'm glad Supreme didnt drop Wet Sounds

Imagine your in-boats simple sounding better, fuller and more accurate. It is an innovation, and its not based on volume. In yesterday's Centurions (and all other inboard towboats) you can't hear quality sound underway or at WOT as the cabin speakers are below you and the tower is firing behind you. Now you have high-quality sound in all directions that is consistent, accurate, and wonderful! It is not a volume addition per se, if you think the current in-boats are sufficient you'll be pleasantly surprised at the same volume with much, much higher quality user experience.

@volzalum
If you can adjust the volume of tower and inboats separately like a 420, and have a microphone for talking to the watersports people, it may be better than first thought.

@hawaiianstyle
Todd when you say "zone control" does that mean it will have control similar to that of a wet sounds 420eq? We have all kinds of people and ages out on our boat so having that would be great. The teens like it loud sometimes we have sleeping babies in the boat where we need to turn the in boats completely down but run the towers for the surfers.

The user does get dual zone control standard with the Downfire Setup.

The “In-Boat” zone includes the interior speakers, subwoofer and down firing speakers.

The “rider” zone includes the rear facing 8” and compression drivers.

The user has the ability to turn the In-boat speakers completely down while still blasting music to your rider, turn the rear facing speakers off to be courteous to the neighbors or any combination in between.

The system is wired so the user can achieve any of this using the fade feature in the head unit, but we are making this much easier by integrating a separate volume control within easy reach of the driver. The volume control is its own dial and does not utilize an EQ or microphone.

@rhunthlll

Only select models have a single rear in-boat pair to account for the RAMFILL tanks i.e FS22, SV233. The larger models FS44/SV244 continue to have two pair of in-boats for a total of 6. New 24' models have 6 total (three pair) in-boats, and 4 (one pair, each direction) of down-firing speakers.

@wylie_tunes So in models past, the stereo equipment was not covered under the same bow to stern boat warranty?

There are exclusions to the 5 Year Shield Warranty that can be reviewed here, with a downloadable PDF at the bottom. Click Here.

@wylie_tunes

What I see on the Centurion site is...

A component style woofer a compression tweeter...

Another potential drawback this this type of setup, is if those mix/matched...

Each Downfire housing includes: (1) 8” mid driver, (1) 1” Titanium Compression Driver, and (2) 6.5” down firing speakers.

None of the speakers pivot as they are strategically aimed where the sounds is desired.

The rear firing and down firing speakers are independently controlled.

Each 8” mid driver and 1” compression driver are in fact paired together on their own channel of a 4 channel amplifier. (Wires the same as most all HLCD’s in our market.)

The two 6.5” down firing speakers are powered on their own channel of the 4 channel amplifier.

All speakers have been carefully tuned for their own purpose.

The Roswell Pro 1” Titanium Compression Driver was intentionally designed utilizing a shallow flanged wave guide. This shallow “horn” shape produces more accurate and natural sound than the long throated HLCD’s typically seen in our market. Roswell is bringing proven Pro Audio design and function to the marine market.

The titanium compression driver also has its own crossover as well as additional protection built in to its housing.

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

Very intrigued to get behind the wheel and test drive the new audio...

Wylie_Tunes    146

Thanks for the detailed reply, Todd. Sounds like you guys have put some thought into the system configurations.

enzo on LI    79

Well based on Todd's excellent response, maybe I could get over the looks. Still not a dan of the boxy shapes and lines of the setup. But it's about sound quality over appearance!