Tommywalton1974

I can't get the little guys up. Help

I have two sons 6 and 8 years old. I've tried almost Everytime we surf to get my boys up on a surfboard. No luck. They get frustrated and so do I. I want more than anything for my boys to be able to ride. Here's what I've tried, please chime in with any experience.

I have the small wave zone boost, I've tried to hold them up, start them from the platform, water start like I do, all with zero luck. I've considered fabricating a barefoot pole. Any ideas?

kstalvey    0

I just taught an 8 yr old over the weekend. I stayed in the water with him and held him and the board. When the rope started to pull him I held the board tight to his feet. Popped up the second time.

MrsSporty    1

We always water start so helping in the water is important. It is easier with people who already know how to pop up like on skis or a wakeboard. Crunch up in a ball, keep arms straight, stay crunched an extra bit once the boat is pulling... Blah, blah, blah.... You know the usual spiel. Kids always have a hard time controlling the board and getting enough heel pressure. They have to have their heels so close to the edge to sink the board and then just crawl their toes over into a better position once up. Kids tend to get panicky when the board is controlling them instead of them controlling the board, so boat in gear helps them to feel the pressure. Drag them a bit if this is a new feeling.

We've had great success with using a tube as a starting platform. Have someone on the tube with them to steady, turn them the right way, help with foot position (bonus is their feet can be in the right place right away)... Knees bent, arms straight. Starting off the tube is like standing up off a chair. The hard part of pressure against the wave and timing the turn of the board from perpendicular to the pull to parallel with it is taken away and they get to feel the success of surfing. Yes, they will still eventually have to learn to water start.

We even had my 69 year old mom up surfing last summer using the tube. She has never done any type of water sport but has snow skied all her life, and has a bum shoulder that she didn't think could take the stress of pulling up so we had to improvise and get creative. It was awesome!

I'm sure once it clicks for your boys you'll have to wrangle with them for turns...we have had to institute a two song limit...the kids could go all day if we let them! Now they search for the longest songs on the ipod...

• Like 1

zapisor    43

Step 1:

Practice getting up on the beach, grab a durable board and a short rope. Have them
position tier feet properly (just on the rail) and pull them up by hand. Then repeat
this excise in shallow water.

Step 2:
when you are ready to try this on the lake do the same thing off the back of
the swim platform. Have them position their feet on the swim platform as if it
was a surfboard and pull them up buy hand. FOCUS on the feet just being barely
on the rail (or in this case edge of the swim platform.

Step 3:

Now that you have the mechanics correct and the feet positioning correct its time
to try the deep water start. I prefer to use a short rope (less side to side
movement) with a handle as opposed to the knotted rope. Often we will pull from
the pylon as opposed to the tower just for this reason.

For a reg surfer, have them off the port corner so they don’t have to deal with the wash.
Position the boat so you can turn portside as you pull them up so they avoid
the turbulent water and having to come down the wave.

Pull them up VERY VERY slowly, remember they are light and will POP very easily start off
in gear idling away from them… drag them a little bit until the board settles
down. Remember they not have the strength to make corrections so you don’t want
to pull them over the board. You will be amazed at how little throttle is
required.

If you are still having trouble we will put someone in the water (with a life Jacket on)
that will help stabilize the surfboard and manipulate the angle of the board to
help them pop the board.

A couple of side notes.

Get a Scamp (or something along those lines) we thought our two youngest should have no
problem controlling a small skim board ( IS Black Pearl) The struggled with it
and I bought a scamp, they were up and gone on their first try. My son's 18 yr old GF still surfs this board so don't worry about the investment.

A boom would be great!

With my boat, All I do is fill the QF on the side we are surfing, anything more and the wave pushes them too
hard and they have trouble staying in control, again we are dealing with a hilds’ strength, not an adults.

Make it FUN!

• Like 2

zapisor    43

Just read all my typos'.... gawd I need glasses....

Bongo Fury    640

Get a Scamp (or something along those lines) we thought our two youngest should have no

problem controlling a small skim board ( IS Black Pearl) The struggled with it

and I bought a scamp, they were up and gone on their first try. My son's 18 yr old GF still surfs this board so don't worry about the investment.

X2. Lots of great info on this thread but the right board makes all the difference.

Thanks guys all this info will keepe busy this weekend. The boost is tiny and will have to work for now. I still think ill fab up a pole using a mount that uses the existing bolt in the bottom of the tower. It will have a pin and come down easy and fast. Until then I will try all these suggestions.

I want them to surf more than I want to do a shove it. Which is basically a night and day obsession! Thanks

Skibumm    184

One thing to remember with kids is that they need very little throttle also. Most of the time I see issues getting kids up they are over powering them with the throttle. Most kids need little more than just in gear.

• Like 1

truekaotik    458

All these are great suggestions! Just remember all children are different and paying attention to what's wrong and help adjust it in a playful manner... Let's face it, once these boogers get frustrated or mad, they quit on ya ;)

• Like 1

DarksideR    1,679

Lots of great advice here guys! It's awesome! We've been having trouble with our son who's 11 as well. A big part of it for him seems to be fear. He can get up no problem with me in the water helping like stated above. But he's scared to do it. I think we want him to do it more than he does. We're just hoping that he'll get over the fear and then he'll be excited to do it. Just like when I took the training wheels off his bike. He was terrified, but he got it right away and loved it! I haven't tried the tube start yet, but I think it would work really well.

demo9asx    23

We finally bought a P5 scamp. Can't wait to try it this weekend.

DarksideR    1,679

We need to get together. Lol.

Hoping to go out Sunday-Tuesday. Gonna be HOT! Go away rain.

truekaotik    458

Got 5 kids up since we got it a month ago... Love that board, very light and easy for the little kids to kick down on start.

demo9asx    23

We need to get together. Lol.

Hoping to go out Sunday-Tuesday. Gonna be HOT! Go away rain.

Well, planning to go out both days this weekend so maybe we can plan something for Sunday.

For now the plan is family water time on Saturday and surfing with friends on sunday.

demo9asx    23

Got 5 kids up since we got it a month ago... Love that board, very light and easy for the little kids to kick down on start.

Yeah, can't wait to try it out. We've been using TWP grom and both my wife and 10yr old got up on that board but I think the scamp will be way easier.

DarksideR    1,679

Well, planning to go out both days this weekend so maybe we can plan something for Sunday.

For now the plan is family water time on Saturday and surfing with friends on sunday.

I'm working nights Saturday and have made plans to take my sister and her kids to Alouette Sunday afternoon. Gonna be a gong show I'm sure. I'm off Monday and Tuesday too.

My son can do it I swear I get him up but as soon as he feels scared he let's go with one hand to hold his nose! Hahaha I guess I'll get a clothes pin

DarksideR    1,679

LOL

zapisor    43

My son can do it I swear I get him up but as soon as he feels scared he let's go with one hand to hold his nose! Hahaha I guess I'll get a clothes pin

Good deal, a few more attempts and he will be golden.... Tell him if he stays up for one song you will go to the Lego store.....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Status Updates

• Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      EMAIL; papandmamazungu@gmail.com
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

+27630236059 Most Powerful Love Spells in USA, KINGSTONE,SOUTH AFRICA,EUROPU, ITAY,  DUBIA, Dubai -AUSTRALIA-ROMANIA-BULGARIA-MOROCCO-FIJI-HONDURAS-GREECE, LUXEMBOURG
      Love Spells That Work Fast ~Bring Back A Lost Love 24 Hours.Bring back a lost love 24 hours: love spell that work fast bringing back a lost love is very true. Why not restore your broken relationship if you still burning inside with same old love you had for each other this spell is designed to fix all your love issues.Stop acting though like you will heal your broken heart and cast a spell to bring back your lost love within 24 hours. This spell works no matter how long you have been parted ways with your partner. White magic love spells that work in the united kingdom Instant love spells to bring back your ex partner in the usa Marriage love spells that work for a good marriage Fastest love spells to reunite with your ex-lover Family reunion love spells that work in Chicago Voodoo obedience love spells that work in the USA Effective marriage love spells that work instantly Effective love spells that work for marriage. Lost Love Spells That Work Fast Call +27630236059 Powerful Love Spells For Lovers to bring there lost lovers Back in Zambia -Swaziland- Ohio -Nevada -Port Elizabeth, Love spells magic that will help you apprehend your relationship problems discover your soul mate and make them fall in love with you with the help of MAMA ZUNGU. shop your marriage from divorce & make your relationship more potent restoration believe troubles & misunderstandings between fanatics and get lower back lost lover in just 48 hrs. love spells to opposite a breakup & shop your dating. Mis placed love spells to get your ex misplaced lover lower back completely & carry lower back lost love.heal relationship troubles the usage of love spells to boom love among people. love spells to banish intimacy & communique troubles in your courting. love spells to make a person fall in love with you attract a brand new lover stop your associate from dishonest on you & love spells to save you a divorce.misplaced love spells to completely get your ex husband again or ex spouse lower back. lost love spells to completely get your ex boyfriend or ex female friend returned.love spells chants to bolster a courting. chant these spiritually endowed words & wipe away your dating & marriage troubles. love spells chants that will help you locate love; make someone fall in love with you & get your ex returned. love spells chant to heal dating & marriage problems. Powerful Lost Love Spells Call On +27630236059  Bring back lost lover USING MAGIC LOVE spells In Italy -UK -USA- Singapore- Oman -Bahrain -London- Ireland -wales -Austria, My bring back lost lover spells will connect you and your lover with binding love spells. Enabling you to resolve all the issues.If you met a special someone who had a big impact on your life but lost their love. Mama Zungu has lost lover spells to reunite you with love.Be blessed with the love of that special someone who left a mark in your life. If you want to taste the powerful love of a lost lover who made you fall deeply in love & you find yourself wanting more of their love after a breakup or divorce then my bring back lost love spells can be of assistance to your situation.b Maybe your ex-lover wants nothing to do with you again, bring back lost love spells will help them forgive you or each of you to forgive each other of past wrongs & make you fall back in love with each other & enable you to restart a successful love relationship. Return lost love spells,For those who can move on, for those who can’t seem to forget that special lover from the past, for those who want to reconnect with an ex-lover, for those who want that one person who understood them & loved them like noon else.                                                                                                                                                  CALL/WHATSAPP; +27630236059
      · 0 replies
    • Papazu12  »  CrewAdmin

· 0 replies
    • Edward  »  lamb80782

I see Lamb80782 had the same remove the driver seat as I am having.
      I didn't see the ulitmate solution.  I think removing "stop" would be the solution but am unable to see very well under the seat.  Has anyone come up with the solution?
      I also am reoving to have re-uphostered.  Itried removing the black access cover but it is very tight under there and not enough room for a regular wrench.  May try a 1/4 rachet drive.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/S37erPn8an8fDkHBA of seat.
      · 0 replies
    • Smcclellan  »  InfinitySurf

Good morning. I saw you talked about replacing the ram fill valves. I have a 2021 ri237 with a broken valve   It’s under warranty but dealer is going to be very slow to fix it.  Which wiring harness do I need to make sure I have  when I order off of Amazon.  Thank you scott 
      · 0 replies
    • Benji  »  Dreamer

Roswell Bimini for sale. New condition. It’s off of a new ri245. Great low price! Please reply to chat!
      Benji
      · 1 reply
  • Topics

• Popular Contributors

Nobody has received reputation this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy..