scottk1826    0

I am new to this forum because I just bought a used 2007 Centurion Avalanche C4 with a 350 Mercruiser Black Scorpion. Before signing the papers, I made a thorough land inspection of the boat while it was trailered, and ran the engine with a water hose attached, but did not take it out for a sea trial because the ramp was backed up due to a special event that day. I bought it anyway without a test drive, and on my first water run, the power steering is stiff when turning left. I can easily turn the steering wheel with one hand when turning right (clockwise), but really have to put pressure on the wheel when turning back to the left (counterclockwise). This boat is my first true inboard (v-drive) but I have experience with sterndrives and outboards, and I have never had a steering wheel this difficult to turn on a boat. Is this normal for this boat? I checked under the steering wheel for a locking knob because I once owned a boat that had a knob there that you screwed in to keep the steering wheel locked while towing, but this boat only has a lever for the steering tilt mechanism. I didn't get the boat in the water for testing until dusk so it was dark by the time I got back to the dock, and I didn't have time to do more inspection. The boat owners manual talks about preloaded steering and the tendency for the boat to pull right when running between 28-32 mph, and I think I read somewhere when doing research prior to buying this boat that these boats don't have a power steering pump, but I can't find anything with a search on this forum or in the boat or motor owners manuals yet to verify. Any advice, information, or comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

Welcome to the forum. Is the steering wheel similarly difficult to turn when it's on the trailer? You probably need to grease your rudder or replace your steering cable, or both. You don't have power steering, it's just a cable that runs from the helm to the rudder. Someone on here has had at least temporary luck in greasing the cable by forcing grease down in the sheathing, but it's technically not a servicable part. As a rule of thumb, always leave your steering wheel turned all the way to the left when the boat is parked. That keeps the end of the cable inside the sheathing and protected from moisture in the bilge.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. Is the steering wheel similarly difficult to turn when it's on the trailer? You probably need to grease your rudder or replace your steering cable, or both. You don't have power steering, it's just a cable that runs from the helm to the rudder. Someone on here has had at least temporary luck in greasing the cable by forcing grease down in the sheathing, but it's technically not a servicable part. As a rule of thumb, always leave your steering wheel turned all the way to the left when the boat is parked. That keeps the end of the cable inside the sheathing and protected from moisture in the bilge.

Great tip thanks. Never thought of that

Bigcatpt    408

Does it turn easier while on the trailer? Or when at idle speeds? Or only when underway?

akaj3    0

I bought my 2007 Avalanche c-4 two years ago. Steering wheel was very hard to turn. ended up replacing the steering cable after that you could turn the wheel with one finger. Now it is hard to steer again. does anyone know if there is any manufacturers that make a cable that can be lubricated? It seems to be a no brained to have a zerk fitting some where to keep this thing moving easily. we tried greasing the shaft at the rutter end but not realy helping.

yamahakid    1

I have the same issue with my turns like butter on the trailer but out in the water have to really have to fight it turning left. any help would be fantastic. Also tran do not operate light over 1200 rpm came on. Light shuts off after you throttle up

enzo on LI    79

If light stays on over 1200 rpms, that's when you have problems. Otherwise it's good to go

scottk1826    0

Thanks to all for the info and comments. Steering was easy both directions while on the trailer and while at idle, but gets difficult only to the left when underway. Lake Water Con, thanks for the good tip on positioning the steering completely left when parked to protect the cable inside the sheath in the bilge. Since no power steering, is the prop turbulence the cause of left turn difficulty?

Kevin Baugh    78

If you let lose of the wheel at 30 or so does the boat make a hard right turn?

Just because it is easy to turn on the trailer does not mean it does not need a trailer

I have seen boats that spin easy on the trailer but hard to turn left when at speed

scottk1826    0

Kevin, Sorry I haven't checked my post again until today. Just got back from the lake and steering now is not as stiff when turning left but is still more difficult than turning right, but apparently that is normal. Next weekend I will try releasing the steering wheel at 30mph and see if it makes a hard right turn. What will that indicate if it does make the hard right? Thanks.

Scott

Kevin Baugh    78

If it does that you can tune the rudder to take some of that out.. might go 35 or so just be prepared for a hard right turn