Sign in to follow this  
dremmick

did not winterize transmission/vdrive

dremmick    0

I winterized my mercruiser 350 mag mpi as mentioned in the owners manual, I pulled the blue plugs and filled with rv antifeeze. No where did it state to drain trasmission or v drive? Am i screwed? Im headed to the lake this weekend but scared that something in the v drive or transmission could have freeze damage. Im hoping these units are somewhat self draining.

Joe B    17

I dont do anything more than you did. several years running fine and this past winter was really bad.

top your fluids off

• Like 1

dremmick    0

That makes me feel a little better. But I live in the frigid tundra of ND.

I didn't touch tranny or v-drive. I forgot. No issues. It did get down to the teens here also. In a non heated shop. No cover but no wind.

If that helps you breathe easy

dremmick    0

It does help me breathe easier. In ND we see temps in the -50's. It was in a non insulated building, but at least it was out of the wind.

jiriki    13

I think just top off fluids or change fluids is really the only thing to do. Changing fluids helps with getting rid of any water that might have creeped in.

DrNate    426

I've never winterized a boat in my life (doesn't get cold enough here), but I do know that water expands when it freezes and oil and transmission fluid do not. That is why you don't really need to "winterize" your V-drive or tranny because the only fluid in them is fluid that does not expand with cold temperatures (at least not appreciably). Only problem I could see is if you got water inside the tranny or V-drive but then you'd already be screwed before the cold hit.

You should be just fine

dremmick    0

post-5579-0-65714900-1400685296_thumb.jpg

The v drive does have a water chamber on top that has an oil cooling line running through it.So bassically it acts as heat exhanger. Im worried this chamber was filled with water and froze.

That's a Walter box? So the water chamber cools that oil pipe that's in a loop?

dremmick    0

That's a Walter box? So the water chamber cools that oil pipe that's in a loop?

you are correct