Tommywalton1974

The big boy is sweet!

Well I finally figured out how to ride the fly boy big boy, honestly I was considering trading it. That would have been a mistake!!

For my style it likes a big wave and 11mph. I'm 6-1" 240lbs too. Rear foot on the fins it shreds! loves to be pumped, rear foot behind the fins it's a cruiser! Pearling isn't even an issue once I got use to it.

So light and easy to move under my feet. I see now why it cost big cheese. Great board can't wait to get back on it

• Like 1

surf moocher    127

Nice, I really like mine also! I would guess 240 is about the max on weight,to be able to pump the wave and get some air off the lip, would you agree? Lets see some pictures!

adambomb2000    35

C'mon summer! I need to try mine!!! :help:

Weather is just starting to get nice here...super late spring...

Agreed. I'm dropping a few pounds. Need to anyway, but mainly to get air! I did get it out of the water a time or two but I could do so much better at 215-220. I got fat over the winter!!

Tleeah    33

I am so glad to hear from ya'll too. The first time I tried the big boy, it was hell for me to surf it. I thought I was maybe too big for the board (I am 225lbs). Then my buddy who is a really really good surfer, could not surf the big boy at all and he is way under 200lbs. That made me feel much better. Every time I surf it I am getting a little more confident. It is way responsive and I way over compensate for the board. To me you have to stay on top of the board and adjust quick. What fin setup are you using, two or four. Any tips on pumping it will help too. Sometimes I get back too far and cannot speed the board up quick enough to stay in the pocket. Our wave on the Cyclone is quite big too. I just need to learn to work the board better.

post-5602-0-02265000-1399945904_thumb.jpg

duramat    462

Nice, I really like mine also! I would guess 240 is about the max on weight,to be able to pump the wave and get some air off the lip, would you agree? Lets see some pictures!

That's good to know...that gives me room to grow on yours LOL

• Like 1

adambomb2000    35

Tleeah...have you tried it with the twinzer fins as well? Looks like you only have the Monsters in in that pic...

Tleeah    33

Tleeah...have you tried it with the twinzer fins as well? Looks like you only have the Monsters in in that pic...

Yes I have tried with the twinzers, trying to decide what I like best.

Edited by Tleeah

Mine has the twinzer setup. I was actually shocked at how far back from the powerful part I could get. Way back to the foamy part. For me I put my rear foot in Line with the rear fin screws, when I feel it dropping out I just put my back foot in front of the fins and barely pump. So easy to recover.

My rear foot is rarely ever far back on the stick on pad while far back on the wave. When I pump towards the boat I also move my rear foot back and spread my stance. My feet are always moving on this board. No rest unless cruising. Just my experience. It was like a switch turned on, couldn't even ride it to can't wait to get back on it

Edited by Tommywalton1974

harlobra    24

This is inspirational I just have to get the boat out. Hopefully this weekend.

Tleeah    33

Mine has the twinzer setup. I was actually shocked at how far back from the powerful part I could get. Way back to the foamy part. For me I put my rear foot in Line with the rear fin screws, when I feel it dropping out I just put my back foot in front of the fins and barely pump. So easy to recover.

My rear foot is rarely ever far back on the stick on pad while far back on the wave. When I pump towards the boat I also move my rear foot back and spread my stance. My feet are always moving on this board. No rest unless cruising. Just my experience. It was like a switch turned on, couldn't even ride it to can't wait to get back on it

They may explain some things. I usually ride with my back foot near the kick pad. It may be too far back. I have been moving my front foot ALOT and pearling a couple of tmes coming off the crest. It is funny, this past weekend was much better, but it is not a relaxing cruising board at all. You are right the board always moves. We had alot of chop and wind this weekend which made it a little difficult. I do not have any pics of me on the board yet but this pic is my old Ronix.

post-5602-0-82428100-1399988167_thumb.jpg

post-5602-0-25198200-1399988179_thumb.jpg

They may explain some things. I usually ride with my back foot near the kick pad. It may be too far back. I have been moving my front foot ALOT and pearling a couple of tmes coming off the crest. It is funny, this past weekend was much better, but it is not a relaxing cruising board at all. You are right the board always moves. We had alot of chop and wind this weekend which made it a little difficult. I do not have any pics of me on the board yet but this pic is my old Ronix.

I had the green ronix! Great cruiser and to learn on. I will say as a big boy, the most important variable for riding this "small" big boy board is rear foot placement. For me. I tried everything and once I moved it forward it was like magic! That wave looks great too! Let me know if you go out soon how it worked moving that rear foot

Tleeah    33

I had the green ronix! Great cruiser and to learn on. I will say as a big boy, the most important variable for riding this "small" big boy board is rear foot placement. For me. I tried everything and once I moved it forward it was like magic! That wave looks great too! Let me know if you go out soon how it worked moving that rear foot

That is great to hear. I will move the back foot forward, I will let you know when I go out. I will be in Pheonix AZ this weekend so cannot surf on the weekend, but may try during the week if I can break away from work early.

Work+great weather+surf boat = BUMMER!! ?

Tleeah    33

We usually surf at 10.5-10.7. I may bump the speed up to 11. My 12 year old athletic daughter tried the big boy and just loved it!!! Of course she has much better balance than her old man!!!

duramat    462

Placing that rear foot infront of the fins and pumping is night and day if it is behind the fins on the kick plate.

That broad likes to be pumped.

Tleeah    33

post-5602-0-84906100-1401198616_thumb.jpg

Got some good surfing in on the the big boy and did much better. I tried the back foot forward of the fins and half way back to the kick pad. I think right at the front of the arch worked best for me. I just have to improve my pumping skills. If you lay off the board for a second you are done, it likes to be pumped. I had several nice long rides. This is going to be a good board to work on for the summer!!! I am excited.

Memweekend2.jpg

Got some good surfing in on the the big boy and did much better. I tried the back foot forward of the fins and half way back to the kick pad. I think right at the front of the arch worked best for me. I just have to improve my pumping skills. If you lay off the board for a second you are done, it likes to be pumped. I had several nice long rides. This is going to be a good board to work on for the summer!!! I am excited.

Agreed. I got my wave dialed in more this weekend. Best so far. I had some really great riding on the bb. I can now move my rear foot much more it's coming together, getting use to it. I got one really good pump out of it and it was very fast! Put me on the back of the boat almost!

Tleeah    33

Agreed. I got my wave dialed in more this weekend. Best so far. I had some really great riding on the bb. I can now move my rear foot much more it's coming together, getting use to it. I got one really good pump out of it and it was very fast! Put me on the back of the boat almost!

Agree, it's about speed control with me. I am either going too fast or too slow on my pumping. I am getting much more confident though.

Tleeah    33

post-5602-0-02662200-1401714970_thumb.jpgpost-5602-0-37657700-1401714982_thumb.jpg

Ok, Tommy, it all clicked this weekend. I have this big boy down. This was the best weekend surf with it. I even did some nice slash work. Boy the board really responds. I think I was just not responsive enough in the beginning. It is getting easy now!!!