malahatauto    3

I HAVE A 2014 FX 44 AND THE FUEL GAUGE AT A STAND STILL SAYS LOW FUEL !?? WHEN I PICKUP SPEED IT SAYS 64 PERCENT AND BOUNCES CONTINUALLY FROM 0-75 PERCENT IS THIS NORMAL .?? I KNOW THE BOAT HAS AT LEAST A HALF A TANK IN IT . IS THIS NORMAL FOR CENTURION .?

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

WakeDoc    471

Only truly accurate fuel gauge would be metered, know how much went in and how much went out mechanically. I look at the boat fuel gauge as a suggestion, get to know how much you burn on a typical outing and go from there. We always top off before we get on the water. Would still have the dealer look at the issue.

RhuntIII    555

Yes get the dealer to look at this issue and always top off your tank before putting it in the water.

What about if you leave your boat in the water for more than one day? :unknw::guitar:

WakeDoc    471

You either take the gas to the boat or the boat to the gas or take a paddle

• Like 2

The sending unit in a new Enzo is in the back of the fuel tank and the tank is relatively long and shallow so the only true way to measure the fuel is when sitting level, either on the water or trailer. Being that the fuel tank is long and shallow the gauge will vary significantly from level, to hole shot, to out on plain. I just ran a new FX22 with a client this weekend and I filled her up on the trailer (close to full anyway) and the gauge read about 85% when parked, and 100% when under way, and would dip to 50-60% when coming to a stop. Its the fuel moving in the tank that causes the gauge to read differently, I can only assume with about 1/2 a tank the gauge can vary quite a bit, but as recommended have your dealer check it too.

Also, under your user settings in the main menu you can change when the low fuel warning comes on, maybe it is set to high?

All that said the new EPA BS fuel systems are a bit of a pain to get completely full, the system kicks the pump off prematurely, so take your time and get her plumb full and see what happens too.

Skibumm    184

What a fuel gauge in a boat that is not accurate? Mine is the old fashioned kind and it will change if I'm sitting in waves. I just know that with an 18 gallon tank you always fill up before heading out to the lake.

RhuntIII    555

You either take the gas to the boat or the boat to the gas or take a paddle

Take a drink as well. :laughing:

Luis    0

I havent looked at a fuel guage unless out in the water camping all weekend other than that its topped of before going in water everytime and never worrie about it

I HAVE A 2014 FX 44 AND THE FUEL GAUGE AT A STAND STILL SAYS LOW FUEL !?? WHEN I PICKUP SPEED IT SAYS 64 PERCENT AND BOUNCES CONTINUALLY FROM 0-75 PERCENT IS THIS NORMAL .?? I KNOW THE BOAT HAS AT LEAST A HALF A TANK IN IT . IS THIS NORMAL FOR CENTURION .?

THANKS FOR ANY INPUT

Join the club. It seems ridiculous that all out boats do that. The man is probably pissed he spent +/- 100k and can't tell how much gas he has in the tank.

A good case of OCD could keep a man in a frenzy over that

duramat    462

What a fuel gauge in a boat that is not accurate?

X2!

I'd shove a stick in there if I could LOL

tprice    118

My buddy has a 2014 244 and we ran out of gas at it reading 14%

Now, we don't let it get below 25%

Nick213    583

My fuel gauge and I had a contest every trip out to see who wins the first year I owned it!

Sometimes it was right and most of the time I was.

If my gauge reads between 1/2 full-full it's good, if it reads empty-full it's half full and if it reads empty- 1/4 it's EMPTY get gas NOW!!!

After a few times of hiting the dock pump in a weeks stay you will figure it out :)

dejoeco    59

X2!

I'd shove a stick in there if I could LOL

My old Tige DD had the fill on top at the transom. After an episode where I ran out of gas and had not clue, I found a stick to check the level. I just had to make there was no operator error in sticking the stick in the opening.

Marine fuel guages are notoriously an issue. The boat is moving and sloshing fuel around. My 233 has the 72 gal tank and it runs all the way up to the drivers seat. It was said earlier. Know your boat and how much you burn.

sadams905    0

Hi all. To anyone with an FX model, or maybe even a 2014/2015 model anything, please note the following:

I was told, completely off the record, by a very well-seasoned Centurion mechanic that these boats won't fill all the way at the gas pump. Their new fuel system triggers the pump handle to click off prematurely, so you end up with only a partial tank of gas before you even hit the water. The problem stems from a check valve in the fill hose that builds up air pressure because it can't escape. Part of the new EPA fuel emission standards. There is a short-term and long-term workaround:

1. When filling the tank, open BOTH fill caps. Take a long stick of some sort and slide it down the opposite fill, opening the check valve to let air escape. The build-up of air pressure is what triggers the pump handle to click off. If you let the air escape past the check valve you can fill the tank the whole way. This is a temporary fix, or long-term if you don't mind sticking your boat at the pump each time.

2. The long-term fix is to replace the fuel fill hose and inline check valve with a whole new hose. Your dealer cannot legally replace that, so you have to do it yourself or find someone to look the other way.

Disclaimer: I haven't had my boat out yet since I learned this information. I haven't tried it. So I can't guarantee results; this is just what I was told by someone knowledgeable. I hope to get out a few more times this year. If I do, I'll post an update confirming it works. I am also not a mechanic and may not know what I'm talking about.

DarksideR    1,679

No chance in hell I'd be content with sticking a stick down into the gas tank of my $100K boat! How does that look for the brand at the gas station!? If it's a new standard, it should be a issue on every new boat regardless of brand.

No chance in hell I'd be content with sticking a stick down into the gas tank of my $100K boat! How does that look for the brand at the gas station!? If it's a new standard, it should be a issue on every new boat regardless of brand.

It is for the most part..

N8 Froelich    12

I know on our 11' Enzo the gauge is all over the place, one thing I do (not sure if its possible on the FX) is pop open the seat over the V drive and visually look at the back of the tank, I can see the actual fuel level because the tank is opaque. You know when your rolling along and the gauge goes to zero then back up to 1/3 it's nice to have the peace of mind that it is actually 1/3 and not zero. This is helpful at the gas station too when I'm doubting whether or not it's full. We also fill up before every outing.

On 10/3/2014 at 1:50 PM, sadams905 said:

Hi all. To anyone with an FX model, or maybe even a 2014/2015 model anything, please note the following:

I was told, completely off the record, by a very well-seasoned Centurion mechanic that these boats won't fill all the way at the gas pump. Their new fuel system triggers the pump handle to click off prematurely, so you end up with only a partial tank of gas before you even hit the water. The problem stems from a check valve in the fill hose that builds up air pressure because it can't escape. Part of the new EPA fuel emission standards. There is a short-term and long-term workaround:

1. When filling the tank, open BOTH fill caps. Take a long stick of some sort and slide it down the opposite fill, opening the check valve to let air escape. The build-up of air pressure is what triggers the pump handle to click off. If you let the air escape past the check valve you can fill the tank the whole way. This is a temporary fix, or long-term if you don't mind sticking your boat at the pump each time.

2. The long-term fix is to replace the fuel fill hose and inline check valve with a whole new hose. Your dealer cannot legally replace that, so you have to do it yourself or find someone to look the other way.

Disclaimer: I haven't had my boat out yet since I learned this information. I haven't tried it. So I can't guarantee results; this is just what I was told by someone knowledgeable. I hope to get out a few more times this year. If I do, I'll post an update confirming it works. I am also not a mechanic and may not know what I'm talking about.

Has this turned out to be accurate? Sounds right to me... went to fuel yesterday and pump kept shutting off. Got on the water and gauge said empty. I only had 40 minutes to go out so I just did it and will investigate more today.

InfinitySurf    302

On my 2014 SV244, it helps to open both fill caps....and make sure boat is slightly bow down if possible, or at least level. If its bow up, its much harder to fill cause the tank is long and not very tall, so if boat bow is up at all the front part of the gas tank has empty space at top but the air cant escape so tank is only filling so much since your fill hose is dumping fuel into the tank at the rear, its backing the fuel up the hose causing the nozzle to click off over and over.

Other thing I have heard that can also create an issue is how the tubing is routed for the venting that the EPA required. My boat has a black box under the observers seat and it vents out the side of the boat. I have seen threads in the past where the tube was kinked somewhere and caused issues, so that is another potential thing to look at.

Also could be a bad check valve and regardless you will want to have that checked out. Also...see if it does the same thing regardless of which side you are filling the boat on. That might tell you if the issue is a faulty check valve if one side works and the other does not.

For sure tho the fuel gauge is inaccurate unless you are sitting still and level. My boat can read 50% when chilling level but when surfing, it will jump back up to 90-100%. I don't worry about it tho since I know the average my boat burns in fuel (5-6GPH) and with a 72 gallons tank, I can easily be on the lake for 2 days. I always fill up tho, not only for peace of mind....but its also good ballast to have a full tank.