stoked

DIY SURFGATE

stoked    1,039
250 lbs center, 750lbs port, 750lbs starboard, 150 lbs Brick on the platform, with SURFGATE (setup for goofy):

So as I mentioned, the darkside was nonexistent, we've never been able to get close to it. I can finally switch back!! I'm stoked to get the final setup, because with everything full we can switch back and forth between this wave and the previous one with the touch of a button.

250 lbs center,750lbs starboard, 150 lbs Brick on the platform, with SURFGATE (setup for goofy):

Still impressive, nice and clean.

I forgot to take the SURFGATE off to show what the darkside looks like, but trust me, it's messy.

stoked    1,039
So my overall thoughts. An even weighted boat is the absolute best hands down. However, as tuneman pointed out, we could definitely feel the engine cranking and I'm certain we would have destroyed the gas tank. But, you don't own a boat trying to save money... So the way I'll be going about this is: If I have a full boat of people that all want to surf and we're going out for the day, I'll keel the boat to save gas. If it is just my wife an I or just 2 or 3 people in the boat and we're out for a quick surf, even weight. The wave was wayyyyy to good to forget about.

Damien surfing the last setup from the above, again, we've never been able to do this:

h20king    794

Wave looks super small you would get a much better wave if you took all your weight and put it on one side JMO

stoked    1,039

The height of the wave is because of the shallowness of the water. When we're in 80 feet of water our wave is almost twice the height than when we're in 8ft.

DrNate    426

Stoked....

I have to say, good job and nice write-up and videos, etc. I know first hand that trying to get a good wave in under 12 feet of water is difficult, but I do think that the delayed convergence is the way to go in your particular case, as you have proven with all of your experimenting.

Good job and have fun surfing. Your hard work will pay off now!

• Like 1

stoked    1,039

Stoked....

I have to say, good job and nice write-up and videos, etc. I know first hand that trying to get a good wave in under 12 feet of water is difficult, but I do think that the delayed convergence is the way to go in your particular case, as you have proven with all of your experimenting.

Good job and have fun surfing. Your hard work will pay off now!

Thanks DrNate!!

bhanson    12

Have not started experimenting with my Typhoon, but on my previous boat the final recipe was a combo of weight, modest listing, and surfgate. Slammed to one side was great, even weight with surfgate was very good, but combo of weight, somewhat unbalanced, and surfgate was the best. I had 1100s in both rear lockers, surfed with one full and the other half full, plus a bow sac, about 2500# total. The X-Link pump moved water from one side to the other in about 5 minutes, which was about the time it took to switch riders. Looking forward to doing the same on the Typhoon.

Picture is with boat loaded as described, the rope is 18' feet long connected to ski pylon, so rider is about 15' behind the boat.

post-5913-0-17876500-1399570685_thumb.jpg

Bigcatpt    408

Have not started experimenting with my Typhoon, but on my previous boat the final recipe was a combo of weight, modest listing, and surfgate. Slammed to one side was great, even weight with surfgate was very good, but combo of weight, somewhat unbalanced, and surfgate was the best. I had 1100s in both rear lockers, surfed with one full and the other half full, plus a bow sac, about 2500# total. The X-Link pump moved water from one side to the other in about 5 minutes, which was about the time it took to switch riders. Looking forward to doing the same on the Typhoon.

Picture is with boat loaded as described, the rope is 18' feet long connected to ski pylon, so rider is about 15' behind the boat.

Off topic........ I love Lake Powell! Was that shot taken just outside of Halls Bay? ....... now back to your regularly scheduled program.

bhanson    12

Off topic........ I love Lake Powell! Was that shot taken just outside of Halls Bay? ....... now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Exactly, headed south out of Halls. Annual "boys trip" in October, main channel is flat all day except when a storm passes thru. Headed to Powell over Memorial Day, cannot wait (esp since it snowed again in Denver last night).

Bigcatpt    408

Nice! I was just there last week for annual boys fishing trip and I thought I recognized that location. We will be there again in August and September for some surfing fun.

chenige    84

Stoked should this be 2x12x16?

2x12x6

2x3x4

1x2x6

3/4x10x4 plywood

stoked    1,039

Stoked should this be 2x12x16?

2x12x6

2x3x4

1x2x6

3/4x10x4 plywood

6 is feet, not inches. You'll find it at your local hardware store as 2x12x6 (not 72). The 2x12 has to make four boards, two tops and two bottoms, I was at 14" for my longest boards, so 14 x 4 is 56" which is less than 5ft.

chenige    84

Great. I am making up one here at home away from the boat and will pick up some short scraps of 2x12 at the habitat for humanity houses I am working on. Measurements all make more sense now.

Anybody have a dimension for the thickness for the teak platform?

stoked    1,039

Great. I am making up one here at home away from the boat and will pick up some short scraps of 2x12 at the habitat for humanity houses I am working on. Measurements all make more sense now.

Anybody have a dimension for the thickness for the teak platform?

And I highly recommend making yourself some Jorts!! The canvas of the jeans will keep your boat from getting scratched! Just watch where you put the staples.

I really don't think that thing is going to be thicker than 3", but that's just a guess. Every teak platform I've seen is thinner than the fiberglass ones

chenige    84

Teak platform is 1 5/8" thick

enzo101mo    98

I just read this whole topic and sounds like a great Idea, but it can be made simpler. If you make the gate with some composite material or Marine plywood and fiberglass it. Then get Hinges like or similar to the A-plate and a activator. Then hook up a trim lever at the helm. This would make it a lot cleaner and pro looking. But then again Centurion came out with the CATA that does the same thing, Maybe centurion could have dealers install CATA to our boats :thumbsup:

stoked    1,039

I just read this whole topic and sounds like a great Idea, but it can be made simpler. If you make the gate with some composite material or Marine plywood and fiberglass it. Then get Hinges like or similar to the A-plate and a activator. Then hook up a trim lever at the helm. This would make it a lot cleaner and pro looking. But then again Centurion came out with the CATA that does the same thing, Maybe centurion could have dealers install CATA to our boats :thumbsup:

Check out my Surfgate 2.0 topic