rockballer    162

Ya scary. Was watching it on our local news the other day. Looked like one firefighter has been lost already. They really don't get any better than those brave firefighters. Our government called in the troops to help with some of our fires up here in Canada it was getting really bad. Crazy... they fight for our country then they come home and get thrown on the front lines to fight fires.... hats off to these brave men.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

chadr    328

Here! This will fix your drought situation!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/12/plastic-shade-balls-the-hypnotizing-tool-california-is-using-to-save-water/

It may be a bit harder to get your surf wave though!

enzo101mo    98

That's got to be the most stupidest thing I have ever seen or heard about. Putting plastic (oil Product) balls in the water. The black balls get wet and water well evaporate off of them. But maybe in the near future we will hear about " Some how we have balls in our pipelins :cry:

• Like 1

rockballer    162

Will never make it into a pipeline. Strainers on the intake pumps. They reflect the sun and I know nothing about the make of the balls but all assure you they will have absolutely no harmful chemicals to humans. Looks like one heck of an idea. Doing nothing isn't an option for California

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

chadr    328

Oh it will affect it alright! I can see it heating up the water temperature killing the fish and creating algae to where it won't be consumable by human or beast! Great idea Cali! Politicians at work! Probably got stock in a plastics manufacturing plant!

• Like 1

enzo101mo    98

I have no worries about them being Plastic it just the ball will be moving around and getting wet all over and the sun will dry which ever side faces the sun

Dandy    43

Why not white to reflect the sun and heat instead of black which will absorb it?

stoked    1,042

Why not white to reflect the sun and heat instead of black which will absorb it?

My best guess would be because the white will also reflect the heat of the water which could cause the temperature to rise since heat can't escape. Black will absorb it on both sides.

• Like 1

Stretch    409

So.. Roughly. For something to turn black it has to absorb light and that means an electron has the ability to go to a higher energy level. This also means an electron can drop back down(emitting energy). The main point isn't really to reflect light/energy I presume but to emit more overall. So you are essentially adding a bunch of radiators/intercoolers. Black is considered a more perfect radiator and will emit heat/energy faster than other colors.

• Like 1

chadr    328

So.. Roughly. For something to turn black it has to absorb light and that means an electron has the ability to go to a higher energy level. This also means an electron can drop back down(emitting energy). The main point isn't really to reflect light/energy I presume but to emit more overall. So you are essentially adding a bunch of radiators/intercoolers. Black is considered a more perfect radiator and will emit heat/energy faster than other colors.

So they are trying to "BOIL" the water to get it to not evaporate? Sounds like a smart plan!

Sorry!!! Being a smart a$$!!

stoked    1,042

So they are trying to "BOIL" the water to get it to not evaporate? Sounds like a smart plan!

Sorry!!! Being a smart a$$!!

Completely the opposite! The black will keep the water at a cooler temperature while also blocking evaporation.

Until this backfires, I think this is pretty ingenious. Once it backfires, it was the dumbest thing I ever heard of... And I do wonder how they're going to collect all these guys when they're done, and are they just going to throw them out?

• Like 1

Bongo Fury    641

All I know is I will be taking my boat off the lift in a few weeks.......I normally do that around Thanksgiving.

chenige    83

Wonder what the balls will look like behind the surf boat? Will the balls knock the board around? :sorcerer:

• Like 1

rockballer    162

Also said to keep the animals out. So Cali is no longer providing the wild life animals water... LOL

• Like 1

enzo101mo    98

Pray !!!! According to the weather report we are going to have the largest goddizlla El Niño ever seen. Then we'll be worried about flooding

• Like 1

chadr    328

Pray !!!! According to the weather report we are going to have the largest goddizlla El Niño ever seen. Then we'll be worried about flooding

Prayn' for that here also! Keep it coming east!

rockballer    162

Snow in the mountains :) Hope for allot more for you guys. Our local mountains up in Vancouver are looking good too.

DarksideR    1,679

Don't forget, last year started out kinda like this too. Hope it keeps snowing this year!

Bongo Fury    641

No kidding Dark....we had a super wet December last year and we thought it was going to be great......then almost nothing the rest of the season.

Troy. R    141

Sorry for the late response to the "black ball" article. I've been away for quite awhile. I've got an idea... Build another damn and make another reservoir!

This is something Schwarzenegger proposed back in '07.

• Like 1

enzo101mo    98

Yes California needs more Dams built and it would also help the wildlife. and would keep streams running all year long

Troy. R    141

Ha! I just realized I typed "damn" not "dam". Sorry. It was early...

Troy. R    141

While we do have a water shortage, probably more importantly we have a water storage problem. A few years back all of our reservoirs were full and they were releasing water just because we couldn't hold it. From what I understand there are plans to raise Lake Shasta 20' or so. That would certainly help...

jmcclain01    1

How are the lake levels looking out there now? It seems you guys have been getting all the storms that have our Texas lakes flooded again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk